applesauce mini bundt cakes

by Lori and Michelle on October 7, 2011

Happy Friday luvs!!!

I must say this week went by extremely fast for me! Been busy all week with Twin Cakes and time just flew by. How about you? How was your week?

last week when we took off for NYC we made a new recipe for us to enjoy while traveling. we also made some homemade applesauce to use up before leaving town. so we got to thinking why not make ourselves an applesauce cake.

we wanted a recipe that was simple and easy to travel with.

and another thing about this gluten-free and grain-free vegan mini cakes is that we used no SUGAR. only the sweetness from the applesauce. and relied on the spices to provide the flavor for these little cakes. and it worked!

we were a little nervous, we admit.

not sure if these were going to come out. but they DID!

we loved the light cake-like texture of these mini bundt cakes along with the spices shining through. and to our surprise we enjoyed them not having any ‘sugar’ in there.  we shared these cakes with our older sister in NYC and at first she was like “they need more sweetness” but then she kept eating them and ended up liking them!  we feel it is a tastebud change to get used to. not having something so sweet, that you actually taste everything else

now before we get the comments about how is this grain free since we use amaranth and buckwheat. in the few places we have researched about grain free they say that these are considered grain free. we know there is going to be controversy over if these are or not. but for us we are looking to them as grain free.

we think the mix of the 2 starches (tapioca and arrowroot) really helped with the light texture. though you could just use one starch if you would like and do about 1/3 cup. in gluten-free baking we like to use a few different flours but sometimes we do like experimenting with just one or two (when we do those recipes sometimes they come out and sometimes they do not). we still get the best results when we do a few different flour/starches in gluten-free and vegan baking. now if you are not baking vegan you might be ok with no starch.

we absolutely loved really tasting the cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg! they turned out to be almost like an apple spice cake but with no sugar!  we know baking gluten-free and vegan can be scary at times especially when you are new at it. but promise after baking a few things you will get the hang of it and learn what you like and don’t like. just keep baking and/or un-baking too ;)

if you wanted a little more sweetness you could always add a little sugary glaze or frosting on top of these mini cakes.

For substitutions for the flours please use any 1 cup flour of your choice to replace the ones we used. And you can make you own ground chia seeds for the Mila by just grinding some chia seeds in a coffee grinder.

have a great day friends!

Twins Question:  would you prefer apples or pumpkin? cinnamon or nutmeg? lemon or lime? chocolate or vanilla?

L&M

Erica October 7, 2011 at 7:15 am

Those are SO cute! And I bet they’re delicious. A great travel treat.
Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Lime, Vanilla :)
Erica recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Café Au Lait & Stevia GiveawayMy Profile

Maaike October 7, 2011 at 7:38 am

Just double checking, not sure if there’s a typo – only 300 degrees for the oven? Thanks!

Lori and Michelle October 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

no typo that is what we baked it at, we are trying to bake our baked goods at lower temperatures for personal reasons.

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan October 7, 2011 at 7:42 am

Yum!!! These look great! We’re always looking for ways to lower our sugar intake. And i think i like apple and pumpkin the same amount…is that so wrong??
Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..Kelp Noodle Fun TimeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

haha nope!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 7, 2011 at 8:18 am

I’m allergic to wheat, yet I still eat buckwheat and it doesn’t affect me at all! I’m sure I could partake in these cakes of deliciousness ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oats for TwoMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

yep buckwheat is great since it is naturally gluten free, so we love using it!

Lisa October 7, 2011 at 9:07 am

These look so good—and you know I’m a fan of the no added sugar!
I prefer: pumpkin, cinnamon, lime, and vanilla! But probably not all at once… :)

katie @KatieDid October 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

Pumpkin, cinnamon, lime, and chocolate! These are so adorable! Recipe development, gluten free and vegan especially, can be super challenging… but you girls seem to have it down! Happy weekend :)

Lori and Michelle October 7, 2011 at 9:33 am

thanks Katie same to you!

Lara October 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi girls! These look delicious, I can’t’ believe they had no sugar! Do you think I could use cornstarch instead of arrowroot?
I prefer pumpkin to apples, I think…though that is a tough one! The others are easy: cinnamon, lime, and vanilla :)

Lori and Michelle October 7, 2011 at 9:33 am

Lara yes I think you can use cornstarch instead.

Lauren October 7, 2011 at 9:33 am

Pumpkin! Cinnamon! Lemons! Chocolate! :)

These look so yummy! The only time I tend to bake is in the fall and Xmas time! I need to get too it! :)
Lauren recently posted..Crohn’s, You Sneaky Bastard!My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 7, 2011 at 10:37 am

What an adorable treat! And that’s awesome that you can make them taste great without the sugar.
Pumpkin AND apples – I cannot choose! Otherwise, nutmeg, lime, vanilla for flavor, chocolate on its own.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..A Sweet New YearMy Profile

Ela October 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

That sounds like a lovely recipe–and great point about the taste bud change necessary to appreciate something that’s not extra-sweetened and just spiced. I love that you share your thoughts about starch and flour combos for gf-vegan cooking. It definitely seems to be worth it to use a few different ones together, although it takes a little more time than just scooping out one thing! I know some people make up a batch of a mix that works for them, but it must be hard to make sure that the different starches and flours are evenly distributed every time.

Those either-or preferences are so hard to answer! I like all the things you mentioned and prefer one or other depending on context!
Ela recently posted..An Amazing Movie, Raw Gingerbread Success, and That SaladMy Profile

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Those are SO freaking cute! I mean, I’m sure they taste good too, but they’re adorable ;)

I like apples better than pumpkins :) I eat an apple pretty much every day!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Friday FundayMy Profile

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

apples or pumpkin? apples!!

cinnamon or nutmeg? cinnamon!!

lemon or lime? lemon!

chocolate or vanilla? always always always chocolate!
Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City recently posted..Cheers to the Freakin Weekend!My Profile

Krissy October 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I just bought a mini bundt pan now I know what to make it :) Hope you girls have a lovely weekend! xoxo
Krissy recently posted..MOH WeekendMy Profile

carrie October 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’m making these tonight! Yum! As for the preferences… apples, cinnamon, chocolate (though i’ve come to enjoy vanilla more and more)… lemons and limes i like pretty equally. happy weekend to you both! Thanks for making mine so tasty!

Samantha October 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm

yum!! these look great and perfect for fall!!!
Samantha recently posted..21 Days to Change Your LifeMy Profile

Lou October 8, 2011 at 12:54 am

Wow, these look incredible (and so cute!) Love the earthy taste of buckwheat, you guys are so creative!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) October 8, 2011 at 4:06 am

These look so good! And I totally know what you guys mean about tasting the rest of the food when you start cutting out flavours like sugar – I was the same way when I started cutting out salt. And it has to be apples, cinnamon, lemon and vanilla for me!
Nada (One Arab Vegan) recently posted..Vegan MoFo #5: Veganism in the Arab WorldMy Profile

Jessy (squeezetheday) October 9, 2011 at 12:04 am

I bought a pan for mini-bundt cakes a few weeks ago and these look gorgeous! Too bad they include many rare ingredients that I won’t be able to find here.

Lori and Michelle October 9, 2011 at 4:56 am

Jessy it is about 1 cup of flour, so you can use any flours of your choice that equal a cup of flour in the recipe!

Samantha October 11, 2011 at 3:34 am

wow, these look good…I love the blue plate they were photographed on too!!!
Samantha recently posted..Dairy Free DonutsMy Profile

sophie October 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

just wanted to thank you ladies for this recipe. it was really good! i did not miss the sweetener! (which is odd for me because i usually love things overly-sweet) (BTW…any tips on getting over a sweet tooth?? ;)

Lori and Michelle October 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

awesome Sophie!!! so glad to hear it, we thought the same thing :)

hihorosie October 20, 2011 at 10:59 pm

cute! i want them
hihorosie recently posted..Thoughtful ThursdayMy Profile

alyssa November 5, 2011 at 8:32 am

how is it sugar free if the apple sauce has sugar?

Megan September 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Just stumbled upon this site and I think it my new favorite. I’m GF, DF ( except organic butter), EF, andPF. Hubby has a long list of restrictions as well due to migraines including apple cider vinegar. Any substitutions for it? Thanks!

Lori and Michelle October 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Megan you can omit it.

Nadia October 15, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Can I use a cupcake pan instead of a mini bundt cake pan as I don’t have one? What would the baking time difference be?
These look delicious.

Nadia October 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Also is it solid or liquid coconut oil?

Lori and Michelle October 30, 2012 at 6:07 am

Nadia you can use a cupcake pan and cooking time might be different

Lori and Michelle November 5, 2011 at 9:01 am

meaning it is sugar free in the since that there is no added sugar you just get the sweetness of the apple that is it.

Lori and Michelle October 30, 2012 at 6:07 am

Nadia coconut oil is liquid