halloween cupcakes!

by Lori and Michelle on October 19, 2011

shot inside cupcakesToday’s recipe was inspired from two recipes of ours that we just love…pumpkin bars and chewy brownies.

As Halloween is approaching us, we wanted to do something fun!!

This year we were thinking color. layers. chocolate mixed with pumpkin. we also remember seeing the wonderful Angela make her pumpkin brownie cupcakes that we just adored from last year!!

Plus Yummly is hosting a Halloween contest, that we plan on submitting this recipe for. hopefully everyone loves it as much as we did.

pumpkin halloween brownie cupcakesWe were just thrilled about the final turnout of these cupcakes! Absolutely love how the layers came out and the touch of the avocado banana frosting on top just completed the whole cupcake.

browniebatter for glutenfree gluten free chewy brownie batter

gluten free pumpkin cupcake batter

gluten free pumpkin batter gets scooped into lightly coconut oiled pan first

gluten free layered cupcakes

next scoop your brownie batter on top of pumpkin layer

vegan brownie pumpkin cupcakes

time to place brownie pumpkin cupcakes into oven.

now, the hard part…  patiently waiting as the brownie pumpkin cupcakes bake.

shots of gluten free cupcakesjust be warned your home will start to smell A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

halloween vegan cupcakestry not to eat them all while cooling

glutenfree halloween cupcakes

Halloween cupcakes that are just perfect!

so delicious. so bold. so beautiful.

perfect gluten free cupcakes

and they are soft, crumbly, and non-gluten free tasting.

halloween glutenfree vegan cupcakes

now who wants a cupcake?

you would never know these are gluten-free, vegan, and low in sugar?

the mix of the creamy avocado frosting with a chewy cupcake was like an explosion of flavors and texture in the mouth!

we know mixing chocolate with pumpkin is no new thing.

we love mixing this flavor combo…like our pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin pie mousse.

check out some other amazing pumpkin chocolate combos over the blog world

perfect halloween pumpkin chocolate cupcakes

though what does not go well with chocolate, right?

Avocado? check

Pumpkin? check

Chocolate? check

Yep full of everything we love!

Twins Question: Are you making anything special for Halloween?

phew, finally done with this post.

till next time

L&M

we are off to go grab some more pumpkin brownie cupcakes

Mama Pea October 19, 2011 at 9:51 am

So creative! I love how creepy they look :)
Mama Pea recently posted..Wannabe Recipea: Bliss SaladMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

Thanks MamaPea!

natalie (the sweets life) October 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

oh these are darling! I plan to make halloween cupcakes soon too :)
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..Spiced Pear Bundt CakeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

cannot wait to see what you make Natalie

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan October 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

YUM!! These are perfect halloween cupcakes! great idea!
Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..Have you heard of the All Canadian Gingersnap?My Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

thanks girls!

Jeanette October 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love the avocado banana frosting on these cupcakes!

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

Thank you Jeanette, we just love finding other ways to use recipes we love ;)

Kristina @ spabettie October 19, 2011 at 10:26 am

WOW, girls, these are fantastic! I love the layered flavors and the avocado icing… Mmm. and I love the “non gluten free tasting” – ha! that is sometimes hard to do – these look like you’ve definitely succeeded…

I haven’t posted too many desserts specific to Halloween, but I did make that pumpkin patch of rice crispies, and my stuffed pepper jacks… ;)
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..sweet white bean dipMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

Yes Kristina we remember those recipes, you are so creative!

Evan Thomas October 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

I love the green tint of the avocado frosting. It makes it seem spookier if that makes any sense.
Evan Thomas recently posted..Year OneMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

haha yes it does Evan! thank you

Lisa October 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

Looks fantastic! What a great idea…and great ingredient combo!
I am probably not doing anything creative for halloween…I have to teach that night so I’ll miss all the trick-or-treaters too!
Lisa recently posted..Traditional Nutrition – Much More to ComeMy Profile

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 19, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love the double-layer color of the cakes– so fancy!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Happy AccidentMy Profile

the delicate place October 19, 2011 at 11:56 am

those don’t look spooky at all, they look delicious! honestly, i am really visually wowed by this. the photos are more incredible than your usual ones!? how is this possible?!! haha. ok it’s official, i need you guys to take care of my bday celebration dessert. gluten free, visual appeal AND i’m sure the taste is out of this world :)

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm

haha thanks Melissa! we had a lot of fun taking these photos. yes we would love to help out with your bday dessert, just let us know how we can :)

anastasia@healthymamainfo.com October 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm

They look absolutely perfect! Now I know what I’m gonna surprise my family with for Halloween. Thank you for sharing!

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

your welcome Anastasia!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh October 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Oh i have to make these!! Beautiful/scary :-) And amazing photography too!!
Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh recently posted..Spice Seasoned Parsnip and Carrot fries w/ KaleMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

thanks Ari haha oh yes a little scary too ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Oh they look so pretty! Great job on them…and for keeping all the layers so neat and tidy :) Harder than it looks, I’m sure!

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

yes Averie it is, we were nervous about how they would turn out! but so happy with the results!

Ana October 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I love these!! They are like frankstein cupcakes with that green frosting.
Plus they look so goof, I totally want to make them!
Ana

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Ana yes that is awesome, love it – frankstein! haha

katie @KatieDid October 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm

They cut sooo neatly and the pictures came out flawless wow! Glad these ones didn’t get erased on you too! I’m bookmarking these… I have to make them!

Heathy October 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm

OMG you girls rock!!! I want to come over for cupcakes. Love the contrasting colors! Brilliant as always xo
Heathy recently posted..Pumpkin ParfaitsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm

thanks Heathy! and you are always welcome to come over for cupcakes!!! :)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm

These are fantastic! And I love the halloween tablecloth in the background. Now I’m even more excited for halloween treats :-)
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Blog Lovin’My Profile

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 19, 2011 at 6:17 pm

These look perfect! I am now accepting Halloween donations just so you know. :)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..love affair with ketchup (giveaway!)My Profile

Lauren October 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm

My lord, these look amaaaaazing! I’m drooling!
Lauren recently posted..Good Health is Gorgeous, A Recipe and PupsMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Oh YUM! These are beautiful! I love halloween! These are perfect for a halloween celebration!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Life Changes and Being Me!My Profile

Ela October 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I love the color contrasts in there, and how they’re all natural colors. Sounds like you girls are really pleased with what you accomplished! Great tip on getting the frosting down in the middle of the cake top, also.
Ela recently posted..Carrot-Cardamom(-Coconut) Cookies and OrganizationMy Profile

Frugal Skills October 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I had never heard of avocado frosting until now. I MUST try this.
Frugal Skills recently posted..Free Pumpkin Recipes CookbookMy Profile

Z.Grimm October 19, 2011 at 11:38 pm

These look absolutely tasty, and are so going on my wishlist. I don’t have any plans in particular for Halloween. Maybe these cupcakes will be my Halloween plans! :D
Z.Grimm recently posted..Organic Broccoli Pizza with Pickled Garlic! Noms!My Profile

Casey October 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm

These look amazing ladies!!! YUM!

nathalie October 20, 2011 at 12:16 am

But…raw cupcakes cooked in an oven at 325 degres are…not really raw?

Lori and Michelle October 20, 2011 at 4:41 am

Nathalie, these are not raw cupcakes. these are baked cupcakes we do not say anywhere that these are raw, they are just gluten free and vegan. the ones we made earlier this week (our hazelnut cupcakes) were raw.

Ashley October 20, 2011 at 7:45 am

I just love the layered look of these!! And too funny because I was thinking of this same combination. I am going to make brownies in a pan and then swirl in some sort of pumpkin spice sauce. Remember the brownies with the cheesecake you swirled in on top? Kind of like that. Love the avocado frosting..mmm
Ashley recently posted..samoa popcorn balls {guest post!}My Profile

Lori and Michelle October 20, 2011 at 8:11 am

Ashley nice! that sounds great, we are always on the same page ;) love ya!

(what runs) Lori October 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

These are just out of control awesome. Seriously. I have to try these! I love the way they look! So professional and so creative. :)

(are you girls going to Foodbuzz this year????)
(what runs) Lori recently posted..Thought Provoking Thursday. Peachy Bean Smoothie.My Profile

hihorosie October 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Oh my goodness! These look so good! And I love how they naturally look like Frankenstein.
hihorosie recently posted..Thoughtful ThursdayMy Profile

Nada (One Arab Vegan) October 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Love these! Do you guys have any suggestions to make the avo frosting orange naturally?
Nada (One Arab Vegan) recently posted..Vegan MoFo #14: Fruity Falafel BurgersMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 23, 2011 at 6:47 am

Nada when we want a orange color we use the juice of carrots and/or orange beets

Emma October 23, 2011 at 10:01 am

I think these look delicious!! I really wanna stick my finger straight in that frosting!! :-)

Samantha October 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm

just wanted to let you know I posted your halloween cupcake idea to my blog and added a clickable link to it!! Just checking to make sure it’s okay!!! :)
Samantha recently posted..Blog Love-Awesome Halloween Ideas!My Profile

Lori and Michelle October 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

yes of course! :)

Lucy December 8, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I’m a little late on this one, but I still have pie pumpkins that I’m cooking with! This recipe is so unique and delicious. I love combining avocado with chocolate — I usually do it in smoothies.
Lucy recently posted..gentrification kills?My Profile

Julia Ann January 22, 2012 at 6:26 am

wow I love your recipes- my sister is allergic to all dairy, eggs and nuts. I am allergic to nuts and have very recently be diagnosed as gluten intolerant as well. I used to love baking vegan goods for my sister, but was worried i wouldn’t be able to make baked goods gluten free as well, but your recipes are so inspiring-these look delicious, can’t wait to make them!
thanks,
Julia

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 6:35 am

thanks Julia! If you ever have any questions about a recipe please let us know!!

Julia Ann January 22, 2012 at 7:05 am

thank you, i sure will!
I am new to your blog, so i just found out you two are twins–i am a triplet (two girls and a boy) and my sister is my best friend in the world. I often call her my “twin”. It is always cool to talk to other multiples =)
best wishes,
Julia

TIffany April 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I made these a few days ago and they are AWESOME!!! Unfortunately, I don’t think mine probably taste as good as yours since I replaced all the flours with coconut flour and I ended up adding and extra cup of water to the pumpkin bars to make it even mixable…and they seem to have dried out after 2 days. Oops. However, the brownies turned out great and my husband (who is sugar sensitive) LOVES them. I had him try the top of my cupcake and he demanded a pan of his own brownies. :) Oh, and I made the frosting but ended up putting it in a smoothie instead. ;)

Nada (One Arab Vegan) October 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Awesome – thank you!
Nada (One Arab Vegan) recently posted..Vegan MoFo #19: Lebanese Potatoes with Garlic and CorianderMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 7:56 am

Julia that is awesome! and yes we love finding and talking with twins or multiples as well. and we are so glad to hear that you and your sister are so close! as you can tell so are we :) HUGS