{failure}

by Lori and Michelle on October 4, 2011

Hello friends!

as you can see we let a few things slide on our past trip to NYC with our elimination diet plan. we did pretty well with staying true to the diet plan that we had set out to follow. but we did enjoy some quinoa, chocolate, nuts and sugar a few times while traveling. which we are seeing some signs of those slip ups.

first off we never seem to do that well when we travel, meaning our bodies just shut down. everything seems to stop working like it usually does. Does that ever happen to you?

though in the midst of the traveling we did have a great time and did our best. lived in the moment!

on our long road trip back, we started to think about our health again.

a few reasons why this sparked our interest again.

our bodies are showing us signs again that it is not happy. our skin is breaking out again like crazy, a little constipated still, depression (mostly from the acne), and feeling at a lost. even though our bodies are giving us those signals we still feel overall great! (we know this may seem confusing, it is to us too) we think by us eating less sugar, nuts, grains, etc from the elimination diet helped make us feel ‘lighter’. does that make sense? helped make us feel not weighed down both physically and mentally. we are not really sure if we have ‘lost’ any weight by doing this as that was not our plan.

we are coming to the conclusion that we are really not sure why all of a sudden our skin is giving us such problems again. we know we always suffered from skin issues in the past but having it again and at this strength is scaring us.

we know we have sensitive bodies. but we just don’t know what to do anymore.

we know also from the elimination diet that rotating our foods will be very helpful for us and our sensitivities. so that is one thing we are going to really try to focus on is getting a variety in our diet.  we also still think we have some hormones and thyroid issues. and still looking into our Omega’s, especially 3′s to help our skin thanks to some readers.

we are still not really happy with our results from the elimination diet, so we plan on doing it again here soon.  since we were not really going to the bathroom a lot during the first 5-7 days of it we think our ‘issue’ did not come out of us completely. so that may have caused some issues in our results.

though again we only really added back coconut into our diet the way the book mentions. from traveling and eating some yummy food at one lucky duck it was hard to avoid certain foods. so we know our elimination diet results are not accurate due to these circumstances. is this all happening because of our food splurges? is it happening because of the sudden increase in Omega’s? is it happening because of stress and traveling and has nothing to do with food? is it still just hormones?

we do admit though we feel like failures. failures that we did all that work and then not follow it to the end. failures in that we let this happen to us again. failures that we can not figure out what is going on with our bodies.

one way or another we know we will eventually figure it all out. we know we are not ‘failures’ just having some major ups and downs.  we will keep fighting for our health and share any more findings along the way.

Twins Question: Do you notice your body, skin changing when you travel? How do you handle it? Do you feel like your health goes through ups and downs regularly? Do you think we are crazy?

On another note, check out our guest post over at Edible Perspective to find out our 5 favorite workout moves and ingredients!

till next time with love,

L&M

Ilana October 4, 2011 at 7:30 am

1- you aren’t failures. wellness journeys are not hard and fast, be all end all fixes to everything. every day is a new thing, and every day you encounter new things in your environment that affect your life. traveling – especially flying – totally messes with my body rhythms, it’s a massive shock to the system even if you don’t think of it as such. mostly, I try really hard not to OBSESS over every little tiny thing that happens to my body because then I go absolutely insane and start kicking myself for not being absolutely perfect….when perfection is an illusion anyway, why do we keep chasing it?

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 8:49 am

Ilana good point about chasing perfection. we try everyday to not stress over the little things, sometimes it has hard though when we look into the mirror and see the signs. but we are working on letting go of that stress.

juniakk @ mis pensamientos October 4, 2011 at 7:41 am

lori and michelle, i got LEAP tested back in june (a blood test that sees which exact food sensitivities your body has) and my skin improved SO much. so that book you read talks about possible food sensitivities, but it won’t pinpoint what exactly you two as individuals might be reacting to. for example, mine was avocado, coconut, maple syrup, certain fruits and veggies, etc. let me know if you want more info and i can let you know!
juniakk @ mis pensamientos recently posted..Apple Bloghop: GF Quinoa Apple MuffinsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

Thanks Juniakk! we would love more info about your test. we were trying to avoid having to pay for expensive blood tests, which is why we loved this book. but not sure if we need more accurate results.

Kat October 4, 2011 at 7:55 am

I definitely notice differences when I travel, and I have struggled with food sensitivities / allergies for years. When things get really bad, I find the ONLY thing that helps is a super strict diet (for me, all raw vegan, no nuts, no sugar, etc). It is difficult, especially when traveling or near the holidays (even a gluten free vegan donut is still a donut!), but the health improvement makes it worth the effort.
Sometimes skin (or other symptoms) can get worse as your body is detoxing and healing itself. Good luck – I hope you find some relief soon!
Kat recently posted..Best Ever Chocolate Milk recipe (Gluten-free and Vegan!)My Profile

Dani Page October 4, 2011 at 8:18 am

Hey there ladies, I feel your pain especially regarding the acne situation. I, too have juiced, eat completely healthy (no grains, sugar, dairy, etc. etc.) take supplements and still battle with breakouts. I came across some information recently and wrote an article on it on Examiner.com (I’m a beauty writer on Examiner) here is the link to the story, I guarantee you both will find this very interesting regarding what might be causing your acne. http://www.examiner.com/beauty-in-jackson/could-your-acne-be-caused-by-demodex-mites

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

My body kind of shuts down when I travel too… Constipation is no fun! Hope you girls can get to the bottom of what’s going on.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..triple tuesday: relieving back pain + september goals re-capMy Profile

jessie ann james October 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

Hey girls!
I appreciate you posting this! sometimes are body are trying so hard to tell us something and its tough to figure it out. I’m not sure if you are up for any suggestions but I saw a NAET dr a year back and it helped my body so much. It an all natural process, no needles or anything. Just listening to your body! He discovered a lot about my hormones as well as what my body was rejecting from foods. Maybe take a look at it? just an idea! keep up the hard work!
jessie ann james recently posted..October GoalsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 8:52 am

Thanks jessie for the tip, we will look into it.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

My skin goes CRAZY when I travel– it always seems to break out and be really dry at the same time (fun). It’s in a bad state right now, I’m guessing because of the pregnancy. I just bought a clarisonic mia, so I’m excited to see if that makes any difference. Having acne when you’re almost thirty is NO fun!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Baby Steals and DealsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 8:53 am

no it is not Anna! we feel your pain, HUGS

Nicole @ Making Good Choices October 4, 2011 at 8:43 am

Have you ever considered some of your issues may be because of stress? (i’m not judging at all, but honestly asking.)

If you ever want to chat via email about your sensitivities, let me know. I’m a health counselor and sometimes just talking to someone else helps a lot. you could email me :)
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Mouth Watering Fresh Picked Tomato SauceMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 8:54 am

Thanks Nicole! and yes stress is a factor for us, we know that, just working two jobs, working for ourselves we deal with a lot of stress and skin issues plus other things does not help, haha, but yes stress is something we now is a big factor!!!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) October 4, 2011 at 8:44 am

I do notice that I tend to break out more when I’m away from home a lot (even just being out for a long day!). I think it’s moreso just lack of hydration? Pollution?? ???

Betty October 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

Traveling always slows my elimination. Which is rough when you
already have IBS-C.

I had acne when I was 24, at that time in my life I didn’t know
anything about eating for health. I went to the DR and he put me on a low dose antibiotic. I took one pill a day for about 3 months. My acne was gone and never came back. However, who
knows how that has affected my health in the long run.

Now I am 49. At 40 I developed rosacea. It only flares when I add omega 3′s to my diet. So no chia, no flax, very little walnuts, rarely have fish etc..

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

Betty that is interesting that your body does not like omegas 3, we are experimented with adding more into our diet, but will take note if not working for us to take them out. Thanks for letting us know about your story.

L. October 5, 2011 at 6:43 am

Juicing, juicing, juicing. I have something similar to IBS, and I know IBS can react badly to a high-fiber diet, but you need those nutrients. It’s helped so many people, it’s helped me, and I bet it would help you loads too, hon. Just thought I’d reply to the comment, it’s not fun to be lost on how to regain your energy, health, vitality back.
L. recently posted..Inform Yourself, Don’t Just Listen To What You Are Told. Research When It Comes to Health. Nutrition.My Profile

Sweet and Savvy October 4, 2011 at 9:58 am

I definitely have the lack of, um, movement when I travel.. I don’t know why. It really puts a damper on travels. I hope you two are feeling better!! :)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..HomecomingMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

yes it does :(

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY October 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

You know the intense break outs might mean that your skin is getting better instead of worse. Years ago, I took an intense antibiotic and lotion regime prescribed by my dermatologist, and at first, my skin was breaking out like crazy! It was much worse than normal, but my doctor explained that part of the cleaning process was that all the old junk had to get cleaned out and that this was part of the healing process.

You need to give the skin a long time to heal, several months I would say, so I wouldn’t interpret it as a bad thing if breakouts intensify for a short while.

Also, the Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann really helped me too. Basically my skin is super sensitive and so the breakouts where caused by it freaking out from lots of products.

I have struggled with this stuff for years, so just wanted to pass on some advice!
Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY recently posted..For Better or For WorseMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Amanda yes we know that it might just be getting rid of old stuff as a cleansing process. we understand sometimes things get worse before better, but still difficult to go through. and yes less products on skin is a good idea, something we have got a lot better at. Thank you for your support! means a lot

katie @KatieDid October 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

oy I know exactly how you feel about skin issues. When I went off gluten a year ago my face cleared up considerably. But occasionally I’ll go through spurts of awful breakouts. I lightened up on dairy a lot and that seemed to help. I think its all trial and error and going with the ebbs and flows of life. Stressing out too much over falling off your eating plan will most likely end up causing more problems in and of itself. I try to just accept that skin will not always be perfect, and sometimes my body won’t agree with foods. Such is life.

bitt October 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Have you ever considered having a food allergy panel done? My husband had one of 100 foods and found out lots about himself. It was for acne. The foods he is allergic to are very random and would have been very hard to figure out through elimination diet alone, since they are not very common allergens (banana, white beans, flax, garlic). But he eliminated them and his skin is SO much better! It was like night and day. He used a doctor called Dr. Steven Wangen, not in your area but maybe you can look up his research on allergies and acne and see if someone else in your area might be able to help you. I feel it’s SO hard to try all this stuff yourself not under medical guidance (been there done that!)and it might be helpful to have someone to help you navigate this whole detox and allergy thing. Good luck!

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Bitt thank you!!! we are starting to realize this, we will look into that doctor. xoxo

Mandy October 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Traveling definitely affects my body, especially if you move through a few time zones. I also find that when I am stressed everything is accentuated. I love traveling but the uncertainty of being able to find things to eat that are ok for me when I am in a new place can be all it takes to make my system shut down- sadly a bit of a snow-ball effect.

I think that finding a routine that isn’t too rigid certainly helps, when I was really obsessed with my diet and all the possible “offending” foods any change in environment seemed to set off things, I now try to use the mantra – ‘it’s only one meal in a lifetime’ and move on. Yoga has been my godsend and you can carry that where ever you go.

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Mandy love that advice, we are trying to be better at not obsessing but learning our bodies. a tough line to draw.

Maija October 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I totally agree with this! I feel like just the mental activity it takes to have all of those thoughts associated with an elimination diet + worrying/subconsciously thinking about it on vacation can create an environment for negative outcomes to flourish.
I used to stress so hard while traveling over not having access to all of my “normal” foods but learning to release control and just have faith that I’ll be nourished in some way by whatever I eat has helped me SO MUCH. Not only out of my normal environment, but in my everyday life as well. But to keep myself on track on vacations I always make sure to chug water, like, serious amounts of water. Even if I’m peeing way more than I need to, that is what helps me both mentally and physically stay centered.

Eden October 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I have a question. And please, do NOT take this as an attack of any kind.
Why do you guys go on all sorts of different diets and detoxes?
To be honest, I think you should try not eliminating anything and seeing where that takes you. You won’t feel like failures cause there is nothing to fail at! Sometimes, trying to do all sorts of “diet experiments” can just mess with you mentally. It certainly makes it easier to travel too.

you guys know I care about you ;)
Eden recently posted..Maple Iced Microwave Muffins and Celebrity Fragrances: Round TwoMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Eden – thank you for pointing this out, and you are right. we have done so many cleanses, etc all hoping for “the answer” but we never get it, haha, so you think we would learn to stop. but then we will read something and think, oh maybe we should try that. we think we are understanding more about our bodies in the since less is more, no stress, and variety no limitations. thank you for mentioning this as it has got us thinking.

Sherrie October 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Hi Girls!
Just had to call your attention to a great post re: acne & skin issues from 4/3/09 by Dawn Sorace on rawmodel.com. Maybe some of her suggestions will be helpful. Hope so!

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Thanks Sherrie as we have read that article before and does have great tips we have tried. just trying to find what our bodies and skin like.

The Delicate Place October 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm

i supplement nordic naturals fish oil (2 grams a day) and i don’t get fish burps and my skin is the best it’s ever been. i’ve been drinking green juice lately in the morning but overall i think moisturizing has helped as well. have you ever tried an organic facial? i do them every couple months esp around my period and they do extractions and calm your skin with really great products.
The Delicate Place recently posted..feel green drink greenMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Melissa thanks for the fish oil tip and we would do facials, but money is tight. maybe we will try them soon.

Ela October 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm

No, not crazy at all! I especially relate to the feeling awful but feeling great at the same time. Sometimes it takes feeling better to realize how much better than that you’d like to be.

Traveling always messes me up–my skin breaks out horribly, my menstrual cycle goes wacko, my elimination changes one way or another–it’s like my body just doesn’t know how to regulate itself or handle the changes.

So between traveling and having eaten a little different, I’d say you haven’t messed it up but you need to give it a little time to let things settle down again.

And meanwhile, if it’s at all possible to focus on the ‘feeling better’ part, that would be good for you!
Ela recently posted..Some Recent Culinary Adventures–Carob Brownies, Gingerbread Two WaysMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Ela thank you for understanding what we are going through!!!!!! xoxo

The Robertsons of Mumbai October 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hi Lori and Michelle,

I can certainly relate to this. I do not always get acne when I am travelling, so for me I don’t think it is the travelling alone that does it. However, if I am travelling with other people, and I am sorry to be so gross, but I tend to not go to the bathroom much, if you know what I mean. I like my privacy for that (and the home toilet- lol). That, in combination with eating the entire world when I go somewhere new, I think lead to acne flare ups for me. I have started to notice that if I do an enema during a bad acne time, that my face clears up right away. So, this has got me thinking that maybe sometimes my acne is a result of not clearing waste out? I am never depressed except when I have acne, so I completely understand those feelings as well. It can be a real downer!

As I had mentioned before, the microdermabrasion is a miracle worker as well. It seems like it is being phased out over here and the place I was going to had their machine broke and they do not seem to want to fix it. Need to get back on that.

Lori and Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hey girl, we knew you would understand as we have talked before about skin. we totally agree with you :)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm

You are definitely not crazy – people around me often think I am crazy for thinking such things as well. I go through so many ups and downs, and I have a feeling that it is mostly due to stress, but I think it has something to do with my diet as well. the problem is, I have never been able to stick to any consistent diet, so at this point I don’t know where to start.
I hope you guys figure things out soon :-)
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..One for OctoberMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Traveling is the worst on my system! You two are definitely not alone in this. I know you’re frustrated, but keep you chins up and don’t get discouraged. You will figure it out!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Could you find your way out of a maze?My Profile

Casey October 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hey beautiful ladies,
I hear you and feel for you. Travel can really mess things around and it can be frustrating when you want to indulge a little and even on clean foods and still get repercussions!
Skin was always my issue too and is still my weak spot. I have to be diligent in managing my health to keep it as I like it. You are NOT failures. Simply beautiful woman figuring out what works for you and this is an ongoing life journey of figuring it out. You will find your way, I know it.
Lots of love xo
Casey recently posted..Easy Vegan Recipe: Chocolate or Carob Carrot PuddingMy Profile

Keri October 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Hey ladies :) I’ve been reading your blog for a while (I love it!), and I’ve got some input for this post. I too have suffered from what I thought were multiple food intolerances, with digestive issues, skin problems etc. Within the past few months, I developed terrible eczema on my fingers, and this weird little red dry patch of skin on my chin. I also started having really bad allergies again. (My allergies come and go, and I could never understand it). I had once read somewhere that skin problems, digestive issues, and allergies are manifestations of not feeling safe in the world. I thought about it for a while, and reading about food intolerances and such had made me not feel safe. All of these “elimination diet” type books just make every food in the world seem dangerous. I mean really, if I put together all of the foods I had read were dangerous from all of the different books I’ve gone through, I would literally not be “allowed” to eat anything. So about three weeks ago I just up and decided not to think that way anymore. To trust that what I am eating is good for me.(Side note: I do not eat dairy, wheat, or chocolate because those things truly do give me immediately noticeable digestive issues) I decided to start believing that these whole foods weren’t bad for me. I mean, doctors tell you milk is good for you when clearly it is not, so why should I believe some book that says, oh I don’t know, eating fruit is bad or that eating cooked food is bad? After changing my mindset, my eczema has completely gone away except for some dry skin, the patch on my chin is almost totally gone, and my allergies have been minimal. I know it’s kind of an out there concept, but I’ve been in your shoes and was just totally frustrated. You might want to give just simply letting going of all that you’ve read, and starting anew a try. Whatever you do, I wish you all of the best though :)

Lori and Michelle October 5, 2011 at 6:04 am

Thank you Keri!! You are so right, it is hard to believe what is good for you food anymore, things are different this day and age. We are working on changing our mindset about the foods we eat, thank you so much for the kind word of support!!! means so much to us xoxoxo

Christine (The Raw Project) October 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Traveling is a challenge for me too, it’s so tough to maintain a regular healthy eating schedule. Things have gotten better for me because I pack and stick to smoothies or fruit for breakfast. But things are still off.

Eating less sugar makes sense to me, it always seems to help my mode swings when I cut out sugar and too many sweets, even raw vegan, in general.

Don’t be discouraged by the downs, there are always diet ups and downs. You be back in the up zone soon. :-)

Doris @vanillacocoberry October 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm

HEy twins!! I have been reading your blog religiously but I barely ever comment.
But today I really just wanted to take the time to give some advice you guys might find helpful

as for constipation… have you ever tried raw pure sauerkraut juice? It’s not that bad after all and it is said to be a rejuvenation for your bowels. Have a glass or half a glas of it before anything else in the morning and it will do its wonders. trust me!

and about your skin issues… well first of all it would be essential to determine the kind of acne you are dealing with. are there mostly comedones? or is it inflammatory, cysts and pustules? there are different treatment options for that, which you should consider…because it is a vicious cycle obviously… if you are like me and most people: you break out when you are stressed and then you get even more stressed/depressed and feel horribly. the skin is a mirror of our soul, what can I say. Also in Austria we have this really great treatment, it is called “healing earth” and you basically mix it with water and then apply it to your problem areas. Helps with pretty much everything. It is a natural way of absorbing excess sebum and also it reduces inflammation and has healing effects. I love it!
Let me know if you need any further information, because skin problems are my specialty ;)
Doris @vanillacocoberry recently posted..KOOMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 5, 2011 at 6:10 am

Doris thank you so much for commenting! so great to hear from you! and thanks for your skin support and constipation idea. we usually eat some form of fermented foods to help with bowels, but never tried just the straight juice. we will have to give that a try! thanks! :) HUGS

deb October 5, 2011 at 6:01 am

Travel is uber hard on the body, let alone the skin. anyone will agree with that. everything is out of sync. restaurant foods, prep, cleanliness, ingredients, keeping hydrated (or not), sleep issues, environmental pollutants (maybe higher than at your home base!) all contribute to body/skin/emotional changes which trigger the flare ups. Even my periods are off schedule when I travel!

I would suggest doing NOTHING extreme when returning from a trip.
NO microdermabrasion,severe exfoliation, chemical peels,etc.(how harsh!) What I would suggest is getting back into your familiar routine: eating, cleansing, and always always moisturize. at bedtime, and in the morning. it doesn’t have to be a heavy cream. but you need the spf factor and you need the environmental protection against pollutants and other wicked things out there.
my mom gave me this advice back when i was 17, and I kind of listened then. I’m 31 right now, and really kicked in the routine
a few years ago…every day, no matter how tired I was. ‘ve saved up and have a great facial ONCE A MONTH. A terrific skin care aesthetician is worth finding! Check out who goes where, and what they do during a facial. have had many…some just terrible (bad products, bad techniques, etc., and some phenomenal.) My skin feels amazing and the issues are not totally gone,(probably won’t ever totally disappear) but fewer and less severe. Like I told a client, no ‘recalls’ on this body and face! You can’t trade it in for a different model (for the most part!) So, I really really treat it well. And if it costs me something else, I trade off and give up something to get it. The payoff has been huge.

Try to keep stress to a minimum. (famous advice!) Yoga is amazing, and breathe deeply. Best!

Jen October 5, 2011 at 6:25 am

Sorry guys, I overwhelmed you guys on our journey and I’m sorry. I had a lot of fun on the road trip and I couldn’t have done it without you. Hugs ;-)

L. October 5, 2011 at 6:34 am

Girls, have you heard of Raw Food Rehab? :) I live by it…really does help me keep in check with the raw lifestyle.

I have experienced all of what you are going through. I am constipated a lot because I have something called ulcerative proctitis and that is one of my symptoms, also it is very irritated by a high-fiber diet which is likely the cause of your constipation. I am curing this through juicing–no worries of fiber there and all the health and nutrition I could possibly want. Juicing could be for you two as well…green juices are wonderful for clearing skin, boosting energy, and preventing that high-fiber constipation :)

Take care ladies, on the quest for health, we’ve all been there. :)

barb October 5, 2011 at 8:17 am

You know, I’m probably one of the most sensitive people on the planet, and the way I figure out what foods I can and can’t eat and at what times is through applied kinesiology. It’s really just muscle testing, but its very accurate when done properly. A lot of naturopaths use it, and some chiropractors, but you can actually go and find an actual ‘applied kinesiologist’ to test you for diet. A lot of people i know have learned to do it themselves. It’s easy to learn, but it does take practice. I can’t tell you how much it has helped me over the years. Give it a go….Then you can test yourself for any food you like at any time. And not just food….some people get really carried away and start testing themselves for everything under the sun. It’s quite fun! Here’s a link to get you started testing yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex59wHLk3Q0&feature=related

Brittany October 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hey Girls!

I used to have skin issues too. I think it all relates back to your gut health and making sure your flora is balanced. Eating lots of cultured foods and taking probiotics (which you know) will put that good bacteria in your guts. It is also really important to avoid sugar, all kinds, even fruit for awhile. Also a sign of having a sugar intolerance is constipation, perhaps there is a link between the constipation, sugar consumption, and your skin issues. You both seem very health savvy and conscious about the relationship, between your body and food, just continue to listen and the answers will be provided. Good luck!

Lori and Michelle October 5, 2011 at 8:44 am

Thanks Brittany, we have done all that…cultured foods, low sugar, no fruit, and still no major improvement. but still think sugar is something we have to watch, thanks for sharing your thoughts!! :)

M October 6, 2011 at 2:43 am

have you looked in to the 80/10/10 diet by Dr.Douglas Graham?

Jann October 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Are you familar at all with Functional medicine? I have been seeing a doctor that specializes in this and have made amazing discoveries about my food intolerences. I just talked to their nutritionist and she recommended I consider raw food which is what led me to your site! The book that started me on the path to embracing this is “The UltraSimple Diet” by Dr Mark Hyman, it’s not just about a “diet” but what he says about our health and what we eat. I’m on an elimination diet right now (no gluten, dairy, corn, peanuts etc) but I think my biggest issues are with gluten and possibly dairy. Consider all suggestions and find what works for you…..http://drhyman.com/ (he’s written many other books, the more I read by him the more sense it makes)

Niki October 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm

One of my favorite facials for breakouts is manuka honey mixed with cinnamon. Not sure if you’ve tried it before but I find it works great. It doesn’t get to the root of the problem, but it’s natural and effective without all the store bought chemicals. Try a test spot if you haven’t tried it before.

Take Care – I know how challenging it can be ;)

P.S. I find Magnesium Citrate is helpful when out of routine/on vacation!

Doris @vanillacocoberry October 5, 2011 at 8:08 am

sauerkraut juice does wonders, believe me, even though it sounds odd and probably disgusting for most. just try to not have a meeting scheduled when you drink it hhehehe ..google it if you want proof!! :)
Doris @vanillacocoberry recently posted..KOOMy Profile