surprise

by Lori and Michelle on October 24, 2011

hello friends,

we hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. we must say we had a GREAT weekend. it all started with creating a big surprise a few months ago with the older sisters and mom. we wanted to surprise our dad and this past weekend it happened. and it went perfectly!!!!

have you ever surprised a family member?

union club at purdue university

we are all amazed that we were able to pull if off. our dad still does not know how we did it

mission accomplished we would say!

dad suprised at purdue we were all there in the hotel lobby when he walked down

homecoming purdue surprise weekend

even little joy was able to make the trip! she loves her grandpa!

Joy at Purdue love this little one

after the big surprise to our father he showed us around Purdue some before heading off to dinner

purdue 3d campus

First – Purdue is huge.

Second it was also Purdue’s Homecoming weekend, which was one reason why our parents were there

loops cereal bar at purduecereal bar anyone?  haha we took this picture in honor of all our bloggy friends that love their cereal!! xoxo

pappys ice cream purdueice cream?

after a quick tour, we were off to dinner

nothing like celebrating with margaritas!!

pitcher of margaritas

margarita glassDon Pablos does have a gluten-free menu…we got a simple shrimp salad with some roasted veggies and avocado.

dinner at Don Pablos

and of course we enjoyed some dessert…thanks to Twin Cakes

the next morning we met the parents on Purdue’s campus for breakfast and coffee

lori eating breakfast

we always travel with food, so never a shortage of goodies

we walked around Purdue some more, and boy did we have beautiful weather! the sun was out, a little chilly, but just perfect

Purdue has a beautiful campus, although not sure if we want to be there when it is snowing haha

our mom had some classes in this building

train at purdueGo Boilermakers!

neil armstrongus with Neil Armstrong….we are in front of the Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering building, this is where our dad spent a lot of time while at school – School of Aeronautics and Astronautics!!

yep our dad was an aeronautical engineer…too bad none of us girls got those genes, haha

the reason we made the trip and surprise was to honor our dad as he was receiving -

Outstanding Aerospace Engineer Award

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU DAD!!!

awards table purdue

dinner at purdue awardsit was a true honor to be there

in a room filled with amazing, inspiring individuals

school of aeronautics awardseven Gary made the trip over from Cincinnati

we have more pics to come of our weekend at Purdue University

Twins Question: Have you been to your parents alma mater? Are you from a Big 10 school family? Do you go back for your school’s homecoming weekend?

pure2raw twins

Kayla @ Sproutybuns October 24, 2011 at 7:01 am

We took a family road trip to my parents alma matter and it was so much fun to be able to take a walk down memory lane with them! I still live in the same city I went to college so I definitely plan on going to our homecoming game this year!
Kayla @ Sproutybuns recently posted..The Perfect BirthdayMy Profile

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 24, 2011 at 7:17 am

Awww, so fun!!! I went to Purdue for grad school, and loved it!! Although, you are right- you do NOT want to be there when it’s snowing, haha!! But at least they have all of the underground tunnels to get you from place to place– pretty cool!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Sunday DinnerMy Profile

Sweet and Savvy October 24, 2011 at 7:43 am

Awl! Looks like an amazing weekend! And the Little one is sooo precious!:) she makes my heart smile!

natalie (the sweets life) October 24, 2011 at 7:44 am

ahhh surprises are the best! So glad you had a fun weekend with your family!

and that cereal bar looks AWESOME!
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..Pumpkin RollMy Profile

Lisa October 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

Great job on the surprise, and awesome pics to document your family weekend!
I have no school spirit at all…and neither do my parents! lol.
Lisa recently posted..KISS my Brussels Sprouts (and Halloween Planning)My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 24, 2011 at 8:47 am

Looks like an amazing weekend! Makes me wish I had a bigger/closer family – that’s so cool about pulling off the surprise! Nobody in my family is really involved with their alama mater, or have any kind of school spirit… and now I go to a school without any kind of campus unity or sports teams! Ah well.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Priorities?My Profile

Liz @ IHeartVegetables October 24, 2011 at 8:57 am

Awww what a fun surprise! that’s soo cool!

But I have to admit, I was kind of distracted once I saw that picture of the cereal bar. Haha I WANT TO GO THERE!!

the delicate place October 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

awwww! wow you guys are so sweet. what an awesome opportunity for your fam to all get together! he was prob so touched!! you girls are the best daughters!

bitt October 24, 2011 at 11:48 am

congrats to your dad! i have planned surprises for my parents and it’s not always easy to pull off.

Melissa @ Hot Chokolate Girl October 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Congrats to your dad! What a sweet surprise for him to have you all there. Hope you all had a great time together :)

katie @KatieDid October 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

What an awesome looking weekend! So glad you had a nice time with family and great job keeping it a secret- not an easy task!

janetha October 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Wow–you guys are great children! I love surprising people. All the family photos are so cute–you have a beautiful family.
janetha recently posted..an end + a beginning.My Profile

Lori and Michelle October 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thank you girl!

Ela October 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Wow, what a fun trip! That’s awesome about your dad–congrats to him and what an inspiration to you. I think it’s perfect that you got the genes you did.

My parents didn’t go to uni but I think it would be so fun to see them meet people they knew at that age again at a reunion…
Ela recently posted..Miracles I’ve Omitted To Mention–at Home and in HomerMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Thanks Ela!

Laury @thefitnessdish October 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm

How great is this!!! Your dad is adorable and your niece is just precious!

All of my clients with kids in college did that this past weekend. My parents were at RIT visiting my brother too. Glad your whole family was able to get together!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Forbidden DriveMy Profile

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 24, 2011 at 6:54 pm

what a fun surprise! I havent been back to my university since the day I graduated. Glad you all had a ball!
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Butter Me UpMy Profile

Lou October 25, 2011 at 12:41 am

Icecream, cereal, margaritas AND special family time!?! Sounds like you guys had a fantastic time – I bet your Dad was over the moon :)
Lou recently posted..a not so dangerous dinnerMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 25, 2011 at 5:35 am

thanks Lou it was, and yes we think out dad was really happy ;)

Gillian October 25, 2011 at 8:43 am

You girls are so beautiful!
Gillian recently posted..while i’m goneMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

why thank you sweet lady…still need to talk soon!!!

Kristina @ spabettie October 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm

congratulations to your dad – how wonderful that you were all able to be there, must have been a fun surprise!

I went to Portland State – so no real “homecoming” there ;) Jason went to University of Missouri (school of engineering!) and their whole family is VERY into the school and football (his dad and uncle played and his uncle was a coach) – I always looked at those kind of families with envy – now I’m part of one and it’s fun! :D
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..chai-spiked pumpkin shakeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle October 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Kristina how awesome!!!

hihorosie October 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm

How fun! And how special and neat for your dad to have his family there when receiving his big honor! Beautiful campus and love your niece — she has grown so much and is absolutely adorable!
hihorosie recently posted..Winner: Tropical Traditions shredded coconutMy Profile

Katie October 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm

You have such a sweet family! I bet your dad was SO excited.

My aunt went to Purdue! I come form a long line of Hoosiers :-)

elise October 26, 2011 at 6:31 am

awwww…this is so sweet and im sure very special for your dad (and whole family). congrats to him!
elise recently posted..Birthday Blog Takeover #4My Profile