walk it out

by michelle on October 26, 2011

Thanks again everyone for letting us share our family trip to Purdue.

I know there are some people out there that do not like to see recaps of things, but it was something that meant a lot to us and we wanted to share.

While on our mini vacation, we did enjoy time away from things….working out, computer, etc. It was just what we needed to recharge.

It is amazing how just a few days off can really help you gain focus again, do you agree?

Monday we did a 12 minute workout – Bodyrock Dirty Bit Workout.  Forgot how much we loved this bodyrock workout. A mix of jump rope high knees with 3 different strength exercises.  We did one leg push-ups instead of reverse push-up.

Yesterday we went for a lovely walk outside. We had scheduled for another HIIT workout, but did not feel like one.

And today we went for another walk outside, plus a similar 12 minute jump rope workout that we did Monday. Love mixing jump roping with strength exercises. What we did was set our Gymboss Interval Timer to 12 rounds of intervals of 10 sec and 50 sec. 10 sec is rest/50 sec is when you do the exercise.

exercises we did today:

• jump rope
  • squat with sandbag and kick leg out to the side
  • jump rope
  • commando push-up
  • jump rope
  • hold low plank
  • repeat again

And we finally did some stretching!

lori-walking-outside

Walking this time of year is a perfect get away for us. Having a job that requires us to be inside all day it is nice when we have the opportunity to get outside. Get some fresh air. And walking for us can be therapeutic. Lori and I really get a chance to talk about things.

Another thing that has been helping us de-stress a little is keeping our meals pure and simple, like the other night enjoyed freshly steamed pumpkin with kale and some kraut and udo’s omega oil.

steamed-pumpkin-kale

Twins Question: Do you find walking can be therapeutic? What is your favorite physical way to de-stress?

michelle

Lindsay @ biking before bed October 26, 2011 at 10:21 am

I forgot how much I love walking outside. With the summer heat, I never found myself craving to be outside. I took long walks this weekend in the slightly cooler temperatures and it was so glorious.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..WIAW: Klutz in the KitchenMy Profile

lindsay October 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

yes! the hubs and I walk the dog or take her for a hike. its a good time away form noise, from life, and to reconnect!
lindsay recently posted..All about You WednesdayMy Profile

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

walking is sooo therapeutic. When I was pregnant and couldn’t run and had no interest in doing most anything, I still loved to walk. And to this day, sometimes I don’t run, I walk. It makes me feel good.

Love the pretty green big trees there!

Lisa October 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Walking is definitely my go-to thing for de-stressing. I do it several times a day sometimes! I find that starting the day with a walk is helpful…but sometimes a break in the middle is even better!

Lori and Michelle October 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm

oh yes Lisa the break in the middle is key for us ;)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 26, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’m loving de-stressing with kickboxing lately. I feel so good afterward.

Lori and Michelle October 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm

that is awesome, still something we want to try out!

katie @KatieDid October 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I love the kraut/ kale combo, I eat that all of the time with a bit of dijon and tamari mixed in.
Walking and a long slow bike ride are both very grounding for me. Running these days stresses me out more than it relaxes me, so its not typically what I turn to for a de stress.

the delicate place October 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

totally agree about taking days off. i’ve actually reduced my work outs to 3-4x weekly instead of the 5-6x and it’s done wonders for my mood and physical state! i think it was overtraining, HIIT is no joke hah! love walking for de-stressing! my fave way is to get lots of hugs and drink a cup of peppermint tea. x
the delicate place recently posted..{four}My Profile

Lori and Michelle October 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm

hugs and peppermint tea sounds perfect :)

Maria @ Scandifoodie October 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Walking is absolutely therapeutic! I used to rely on it, but I’ve now found that swimming does it even better. Water has amazing meditative qualities!
Maria @ Scandifoodie recently posted..Sweet potato spelt muffinsMy Profile

Juliane @ C'est moi à Paris October 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Walking and running outside are very therapeutical but nothing beats yoga for calming my mind!

Lori and Michelle October 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm

so true!

Ela October 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Absolutely yes! Walking is one of the best ways to destress for sure. It’s so cool that you get to go together. I’m hoping to get out for a walk today–waiting in for a call.

I’ve been loving mixing jump rope with strength work too! Not as intense as what you are doing probably, but it kicks my butt for sure!
Ela recently posted..This Week’s "Herbal Project:" HorseradishMy Profile

Heather @ For the Love of Kale October 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Love the pumpkin and kale combination (obviously! ;-) ).

Walking, especially in the fall sunshine, is one of the most therapeutic things in the world – I totally agree with you! My all time favorite is just hanging out in pigeon pose for 5 – 10 minutes. Nothing like it!
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Killer Workout & New Vlog!My Profile

Erica October 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Yes! Excercise can be super theraputic!! Especially outdoor exercise. Mmm cooked pumpkin sounds awesome
Erica recently posted..Pumpkin PatchMy Profile

Z.Grimm October 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I feel like odd man out here, but I’ve just started a walking routine and I’m finding it boring. :( It might be better if I had someone to walk with, or if I lived in a nicer area that wasn’t all four to six lane busy roads, but I have neither. Next I’m trying to listen to an audiobook on my iPod while I walk, and I’m hoping that helps. I don’t want to fail in my fitness before I’ve gotten things really started, y’know?

jessie ann james October 26, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I love walks! especially in the fall time! I wish I could figure out my jump rope! I must be uncoordinated because I cant jump rope with high knees! It’s seriously a funny site:)
jessie ann james recently posted..Checked That One Right Off! D&M Halloween!My Profile

hihorosie October 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm

love walking – got to do a bunch of that today even though it was a wee bit chilly out. Felt good.

And I love recaps! :)
hihorosie recently posted..Winner: Tropical Traditions shredded coconutMy Profile

Tonya October 27, 2011 at 7:05 am

5 mile run followed by focused deep breathing and yoga :-)