squash muf-cakes with a persimmon tahini frosting

by Lori and Michelle on November 11, 2011

gluten free muffin

we made these muf-cakes last week and fell in love.

we first discovered our muf-cake idea a few months ago with our original  sugar free pumpkin muf-cake with coconut frosting.

why muf-cake for this recipe?

vegan muffin cake

well, the recipe ended up being a little more dense then a typical cupcake should therefore we look at it more as a muffin. but it has a ‘frosting’ on top therefore making it a cupcake, right?

so it is breakfast or dessert?

that is what we were thinking of when we decided on a name to describe our yummy sweet and a little savory muf-cake.

we had persimmons on hand so we wanted to make something using those. if you do not know what a persimmon is we will tell you. a persimmon is an edible fruit.  this brightly colored, glossy orange red skinned fruit is an excellent source of vitamin A, a good source of vitamin C, and rich in fiber. persimmons are widely available September through December, with a peak during November. so grab yourself a persimmon and enjoy. promise you will love it.

persimmonsplus winter squashes are in season too! this recipe would do great with any squash puree of your liking

today’s recipe was inspired by our first love of savory ‘sweet’ treat our savory avocado donut.

once frosting is ready. spoon frosting on top of your muf-cakes.

savory gluten free muffin

permisson tahini muffin cake

we love our savory and sweet mixed goodies. love the balance of winter flavors is this recipe. and we love that little bit of heat that the cayenne brings into the muf-cakes too. nothing like a little spice to get you going

these  gluten-free muf-cakes are a little sweet. a little savory. a little hot. just heavenly. like we mentioned earlier these are not your typical ‘cupcake’ style desserts because not only being gluten-free and vegan these are rich, dense style cake muffins. hence muf-cake as our name

Twins Question:  do you like mixing sweet and savory together? do you like persimmons? have you ever had a persimmon?

L&M

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes November 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Those look delicious! I’ve never tried persimmon, but those cupcakes look like an amazing way to do it!

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

katie @KatieDid November 11, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’ve still never had one! I love the idea of a savory muffin or donut as I’ve been seeing around the blogs a bit lately. I’m a big savory person so this sounds wonderful to me. And the frosting sounds so amazing, tahini is my favorite condiment lately!

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

oh Katie we live for our tahini, haha love that stuff!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’ve only recently tried persimmons, and I love them! These look great!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..It’s a…My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! November 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Dessert FOR breakfast – always a win. I love my sweet stuff, but I have to get the savory in there somewhere. Tahini is a go-to sweet/savory crossover! I’m addicted :-)
I’m really loving the persimmons this season. Fuyu for snacking, hachiya for cooking.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Just Another [WIA]WednesdayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Rachel we are addicts too

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm

the persimmon tahini frosting sounds sooo good! wow, great flavor combo. Wish I could help you lick the bowl :)
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..B’sMy Profile

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

thanks Averie

Ela November 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I just adore persimmons–writing a persimmon post myself right now! And they go great with tahini, just like anything sweet… Love it…
Ela recently posted..Latest Culinary Experiment–Don’t Try This at Home (Yet)! ConfessionMy Profile

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Ela I know we were so surprised how much we like the tahini and persimmons together!

Alicia @beingLA November 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love persimmons! And the muf-cake idea is so clever, I’ll definitely have to try these sometime soon. Thanks L&M!
Alicia @beingLA recently posted..Chocolate Truffles Under 100 Calories!My Profile

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm

:) your welcome

Lisa November 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I’ve never had a persimmon!
But of course…I’d try it….

I like sweet and savory…a lot. In fact, I really need to implement it more often.
Have a great weekend, ladies :)
Lisa recently posted..When an Idea Falls Out of the Sky and Makes You Feel Like You’re “Home.”My Profile

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Lisa you must try one!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 11, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I haven’t had a persimmon in years, but I do love them. I think I need to change that! These sound delicious! I love it when you can eat a cupcake for breakfast!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Bugs, Tests and Eggs…My Profile

Lori and Michelle November 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm

cupcake for breakfast is the best ;)

Hannah November 12, 2011 at 4:04 am

Looks fantastic! I adore persimmon :) Did you use the crunchy Fuyu persimmons here, or the hachiya ones that you have to let get all squoodgy first? I personally only like the Fuyus :)
Hannah recently posted..Union Square Cafe Nuts, and a Polka Dot WeddingMy Profile

Lori and Michelle November 12, 2011 at 6:46 am

Hannah thanks for reminding us, we used the Fuyu persimmons! We will update the recipe.

Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 12, 2011 at 6:31 am

Dare I call it a cuffin? ;-)

This is so creative! I would have never thought to put persimmon in a…muffcake. That’s why you’re the geniuses in the kitchen! Hehehe.
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Date Night at Veggie GalaxyMy Profile

jessie ann james November 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hey twins!! so i just ran out of tahini and I’m dying to make this! any ideas for a substitution?? maybe another nut butter??
jessie ann james recently posted..My Man Is One Year Older…My Profile

Lori and Michelle November 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

yes use any nut butter. :)

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter November 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Uhm wow- those look absolutely fantastic! I need to try those out!

Elisabeth November 12, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Growing up my mom would make persimmon cookies. I never knew you could do anything else with them. After I was married, I found out you could eat them plain. Oh, the goodness! I loved them.

It seems that you don’t see them too much in the grocery stores. I have some arriving Monday from a co-op we belong to.
Elisabeth recently posted..The Blendtec Wildside or the Blendtec Fourside… Understanding the DifferenceMy Profile

hihorosie November 12, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Mmm! Looks great! And interesting combo with the persimmon and tahini. Love the creativity!
hihorosie recently posted..Thoughtful ThursdayMy Profile

Angela G November 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Wow! I made these a couple days ago and they were AWESOME!!! I ate nearly all of them and didn’t leave much for my husband. I can’t wait to make them again. Thanks!

Lori and Michelle November 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Angela so glad to hear this!!! YAY!!!!