baked mini gluten-free vanilla cardamom cake donuts

by Lori and Michelle on December 23, 2011

stacks of mini donuts

HAPPY FRIDAY FRIENDS!!!

Christmas is just around the corner! all the holiday baking smells in the air! holiday music playing in the back round. what not a better way to start these holiday mornings with some baked mini gluten-free cake donuts. who is with us?

vegan baked donutsas you can tell we love making baked donuts. and a few weeks ago Santa came a little early for us this year with giving us a cute little mini donut maker from Target. thanks Santa!

ever since our little donut maker arrived we have been non-stop playing with it. we have had some ugly messes.

but we kept pushing through

singlevanillaminidonut

because we knew we had a great tasting and easy donut recipe to make. and to share.

sharing is what the holidays are all about? sharing tasty treats with friends and family.

but we admit these cute little guys just might be too hard to share. we wanted them all to ourselves.

making baked mini donuts

these mini donuts are not only gluten-free but grain-free as well. we based these donuts out of coconut flour. we just love coconut flour.

*remember when using coconut flour in gluten-free baked goods you will have to adjust your liquids as coconut flour tends to soak everything up!

batter of baked gluten free donutsbatter will be slightly thick

using donut maker from targetclose mini donut maker to bake these gluten free donuts

mini gluten free donuts done easy as 1-2-3

baked mini donuts coolinghow cute are these mini donuts

glazing donuts with coconut oillightly oiled donuts with coconut oil then covered in a cinnamon cardamom sugar mix

pouringcoffeedonuts

plus these donuts go great with some coffee

coffee and gluten free donuts

what a fun way to start the day! do you agree?

glutenfree cardamom vanilla donutsa little dense with a light crumb

coffeedonutsshotsif you love baking with coconut flour then you will love these baked donuts

if not a fan of coconut flour can try almond meal, any gluten free flour blend, or any flour of choice.

if would like vegan then replace egg with flax gel. you could try applesauce, it just might provide a little more ‘moist’ texture.

vanilla cardmom coconut donuts and coffee

who knew mini gluten free donuts could be so cute?

now who wants one?

L&M

Lisa December 23, 2011 at 6:51 am

They look awesome! I’m a big fan of coconut flour–it is so fluffy and amazing!

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

yes Lisa it is! love it

Jessica LeBoeuf December 23, 2011 at 7:01 am

Wow, those look decadant and so yummy!!! Did you buy coconut flour or did you grind it yourself?

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

we bought coconut flour from the store or online.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 23, 2011 at 7:50 am

I’ll be right over! These look and sound perfect! I do love my dough pan. It feels so comforting having doughnuts again.
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Happy Holidays!My Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

we will save you some :)

LizAshlee December 23, 2011 at 8:07 am

These look amazing..luv the photos! Coconut flours is one of my favorites!! :) Happy Friday!
LizAshlee recently posted..SO SO SO Simple Holiday TreatsMy Profile

Liz @ iheartvegetables December 23, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh my goodness those look DELICIOUS! And your photography is amazing as always.

Happy Holidays, ladies! :)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Friday FestivitiesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

thanks Liz, same to you! Hope you have a great holiday break with family!

The Delicate Place December 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm

oh my word. girls. this is the first recipe in a while that absolutely is going to send me to the store to get all the ingredients. it is everything i could crave and want in a donut! and i don’t even like donuts!!! thank you!!! hope you both have the happiest christmas! x
The Delicate Place recently posted..d.a.n.c.e.My Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

thanks Melissa!! Happy Holiday to you as well :) Hugs

Katie December 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

These look so good and are SO cute! Seriously, you girls need to open up a bakery shop somewhere besides on line!

Love the photos too, just make this post even better!

Want to wish you girls and your family Happy Holidays! <3 xoxo
Katie recently posted..Y.B.C.My Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Aww thanks Katie!! Happy Holiday to you too and your family

Heidi @ Food Doodles December 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Aw, those are so cute! I love the coconut flour – I really need to get some. It looks like they turned out perfectly fluffy using it. And I love the cardamom. It’s one of my favorite spices and yet I hardly ever use it! Need to change that :D
Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted..Simply Spiced Hot Apple CiderMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Heidi oh yes we love our cardamom, we just it in everything

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free December 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

So cute!!! Maybe I need a donut maker for xmas :P
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..New Year’s Challenge AnnouncementMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Yes you do Alex!!

katie @KatieDid December 23, 2011 at 4:11 pm

LOVE coconut flour in baked goods. I really like its nutty flavor and lightness it gives to them. These are just too cute to eat, almost!

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Katie, yes love coconut flour!

lindsay December 23, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I found a donut pan here! must make some for our holidays. they would love it! NZ style and all.
;)
Love you ladies.

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 5:53 pm

haha awesome Lindsay!! happy holidays!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I love this recipe! Coconut flour is great and low in glycemic and I always forget about cardamom but it’s such a great spice!
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..Toxic Thursdays-Body WashMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Rebecca cardamom is one of our favorite spices, we use it all the time.

Ela December 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Ah, you ladies are so cute and funny! You cracked me up with that “if you don’t have a donut maker…you need to go get one!”

Those pics at the top with the donuts on the cups are gorgeously artsy. And the donuts themselves–well, you know how I feel about cardamom and coconut…Yummy.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Ela recently posted..Bliss Connect #3: New Goods in the House and Two Recipes From Yesterday’s PicsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 24, 2011 at 9:06 am

Thanks Ela! Hope Santa brings you a donut maker, we just have so much fun with them. Never were donut people before, but love cake, so cake donuts are perfect. haha Hope you have a wonderful Holiday as well!

jessie ann james December 24, 2011 at 8:12 am

they look tasty and the photography is awesome! merry christmas to you guys!
jessie ann james recently posted..The Not-So Perfect Christmas This YearMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 24, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thank you Jessie, Merry Christmas to you too

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! December 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

These look so so good! Coffee and healthy donuts sounds like the perfect holiday morning breakfast! I hope you ladies have a very merry Christmas
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..I Prefer ‘See You Soon’My Profile

bitt December 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

Wow how cute for Christmas! Merry Christmas!

I have lots of coconut flour that I want to use, but I honestly almost never use a recipe that is based around an egg. If you do end up specifically testing it without the egg to know that is works for sure, it would be good to know. I don’t think that the flax egg always works and I can’t afford to be able to waste that many supplies if it doesn’t work. So keep me posted! BTW, a lot of your baking was egg-free? Are you not allergic anymore?

Lori and Michelle December 26, 2011 at 5:51 am

Bitt, we will have to test it without eggs. In terms of eggs, we were never allergic to eggs. We just went through a period when we did not want them. We have started this past year eating them, but still go through periods of eating and not eating them.

hihorosie December 25, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Oooh yummy! I have an excuse to buy one of those donut bakers….Looks so good!
hihorosie recently posted..Close-upMy Profile

Heather Brandt December 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Do liquid sweeteners like honey or maple syrup work in this recipe?

Lori and Michelle December 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Yes Heather if you do 1/4 cup liquid sweetener, you will not need all the water. Reduce water to about 1/2 cup? and go from there

Rachel January 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

Cardamom has got to be my favorite spice ever! Thank you for putting it in a donut!
Rachel recently posted..Vegan Lemon Chia Seed MuffinsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

your welcome Rachel! we love cardamom too, use it all the time!

Julia January 21, 2012 at 5:46 am

me me, I want one!!!!! I really need to get on the coconut flour bandwagon, I love all things coconut! For now, I have some almond meal I’ll have to try makign these with.

Mama Pea February 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm

So delicious looking! I’ve been playing with coconut flour and almond flour more and I really will make these this weekend!
Mama Pea recently posted..Chocolate Covered Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie Dough FootballsMy Profile

Becky February 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Hi, I made these a few times, the first time trying without eggs. I used two tablespoons ground chia seed one time and another time flax seed, added to the dry ingredients. I think the flax may have been a little better. I upped the oil by one tablespoon and used agave instead of sugar. I don’t know at what altitude you girls live, but I’m at close to 5000 and a dry climate, and I guess that’s why it turned out so dry. But I mean, really dry. I added 1/2 to a whole cup more of liquid before it began to resemble the batter in your picture. I tried cooking doughnuts at varying levels of dryness, all the way to a bit more runny than what is in your picture. Anyway, somewhere in there was an ideal amount of liquid, but I neglected to write it down, and it also took a really long time to cook in my donut maker. Like around ten minutes or more for every try of different liquid amounts. I liked the flavor, though, but without eggs this was really hard for me. I’m no good at this. Later I tried the recipe as written with the eggs, and I still had to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more of water, but this time, they cooked within six to eight minutes and the texture was a lot nicer. I still am not sure they turned out as good as yours. Yours look a lot better. I think I actually liked the flavor better without the eggs, but the texture with the eggs was nicer. So, sorry for the long comment, but I just wanted to let you know what I tried. Thanks for your gorgeous blog and recipes!

Rene April 9, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I made these today for my boys, and they loved them!
Personally I found they had a bit of an ‘egg-y’ flavour to them, but I still liked the overall flavour.
The only other difference is that I used speculaas spices and replaced the coconut oil with avocado oil. I also had to add an extra 1/2 cup of water as the batter was quite stiff.
I found them a little dry and wondered if that is because of baking with coconut flour or could it be because I didn’t use coconut oil?
I will definitely be baking them again, I think I just need to get my water to the correct amount for my donut maker.
Thanks for all the great recipes you gals make, I so enjoy making them, and my boys love eating them! They are so happy they can have ‘treats’ again!!

Lori and Michelle April 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

Rene, glad to hear you all enjoyed them. Baking with coconut flour does tend to make things drier, it is hard to work with. Coconut oil helps add some moisture but also flavor! You could try using your favorite milk or milk alternative for the water to help with the moisture.

Rene April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks girls! I will give it a try with Rice or Almond milk next. Thanks :)

Laura May 16, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hey, just gonna mention — you didn’t say how much vanilla to put in the vanilla cardamom donuts… :)

Lulu June 7, 2012 at 6:43 am

Just wondering about stevia? Is it a good substitute for the coconut sugar? I haven’t used it much in baked goods. I’ve been watching your blog for ages and never see you guys use it. What’s the deal with stevia? Is it a good sugar substitute?

Debi Stangeland July 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I would just like to say that you have SAVED our 4th of July. Our tradition has been to make donuts. But having gone gluten free in the past 12 months I was dreading how to make this happen.

Just before we went gluten free I bought a donut maker. After the switch, I searched and searched for recipes that used the donut maker, to no avail. You have not only saved my bacon for the 4th but caused me to get the donut maker out of the mothballs and saved it from the imminent yard sale. Thank you!!!!

Lori and Michelle July 4, 2012 at 5:54 am

we are honored and so happy to hear this!!! yay for donuts!!

Debi Stangeland July 4, 2012 at 11:12 am

Donuts were a great hit!!!! I added the vanilla with the eggs and oil – since it isn’t actually in the original recipe – Thanks for saving our holiday!!!!
Debi Stangeland recently posted..Happy 4th of July ~ My Freedom in PicturesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle July 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Debi awesome!! glad to hear your family enjoyed them.

Anita August 23, 2012 at 3:58 am

Hi, they look delicious, I can’t wait to try the recipe. I just want to check as the name of the recipe says vanilla in it but there is no vanilla extract in the ingredients, should there be some?
Also, is the measurement for xylitol or coconut sugar the same quantity as sugar? thank you :)

Lori and Michelle August 29, 2012 at 5:39 am

Anita we called it vanilla meaning it is not chocolate :) And yes sugar is the same amount.

Anita August 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

thank you Lori and Michelle for the clarification, they look delicious and now I can look forward to baking them… :)

Mia August 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’m guessing at what temperature to bake these at in the oven in a large muffin pan. I’m going with 325F.

Meg September 20, 2012 at 7:40 am

Hey guys! I have been devouring your donut recipes (with my eyes) and I can’t wait to try ALL of them (as I have alot of gluten free people in my life right now!) I have a question – What have you found to the differences of using a baking pan and a donut machine? Is the machine really that much better? Worth spending the extra $40 on? Thanks for the recipes, keep it up!

Lori and Michelle October 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Donut machines are quicker to make donuts.

Tegan May 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

These are amazing. I used honey instead of sugar and reduced the water to half the amount, and I baked them in a regular donut pan for about 13 minutes. The texture is so close to real donuts it’s lovely. Thanks so much!

Tegan May 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Oh, and I baked them at 350.