more holiday cheer

by Lori and Michelle on December 27, 2011

hello friends!

well you saw Michelle’s brief Christmas holiday highlights now my turn to share my weekend highlights. as you may have already noticed we spent Christmas separately this year. I went with Gary to see his family in Raleigh, NC. it was fun to head back to where I used to live before moving to Charlotte. plus Gary’s oldest brother and wife just had their first baby. the first grandson for Gary’s parents so a real exciting time for the family!

raw pumpkin mousse

before heading out of town I made myself some mostly raw pumpkin pie mousse to be my dessert over the weekend

gluten free vegan pumpkin mousseI ended up adding a chocolate sauce on top. I just love pumpkin and chocolate together!

pumpkin donut in carmade Gary and I some gluten free pumpkin baked donuts with pecan coating for the road – it is an updated recipe that we plan to share soon. it was delicious and the perfect road trip breakfast this holiday.  *they are not minis donuts they are regular size, the plate I grabbed for road trip was just that big

starbucks red holiday cupthen of course stopped by Starbucks

eating lunch at WholefoodsGary and I stopped by Whole Foods for lunch before arriving at his brothers house.

whole foods in raleighlove my whole foods salads!

my whole foods salad bar lunchI think I got a little bit of everything! so good

then we were off to get the Christmas celebration started plus I finally got to see my future nephew.

babylittle baby boy Greyson

outside running

then after hanging out with Gary’s family a few of us were off to go workout. I ended up doing a walk/run while Gary and his dad played some tennis.

lakethis lake brought back a lot of memories for me as this used to be the lake that Michelle and I would come and run at a lot when we lived in Raleigh

Christmas eve dinnershowered and got ready for Christmas Eve dinner.  I did not really take too many pictures as I just really wanted to enjoy the night with family.

Christmas treenext morning it was Christmas!!!

coffee christmas morningthere was coffee and hot chocolate to pick from

mimosaplus we all enjoyed some mimosa

then it was time for presents

presentsI got some wonderful things this Christmas from clothing, to Tom’s shoes, to money to nice bottles of wine.

I think Greyson was the present king.

after a wonderful morning and leisurely afternoon it was time for Christmas dinner, Gary always teasing me about taking pictures of myself in the mirror so he joined in on the fun

while we were all in the kitchen getting dinner ready Greyson joined the party as well, such a cutie

wine tasting we also enjoyed lots of wine.

salad with tahinimy dinner looked something like this (this is my dinner from last night but it pretty much was the same thing). when traveling to friends or other family members houses I usually bring my own food. it just makes it easier on everyone I feel. there are moments when I feel silly that I bring my own food but if my tummy happy and I am happy then I feel it is worth it.

be back with great recipes to share with you all.

Twins Questions: Do you bring your own food to friends or family’s houses? Do you like it when someone with ‘certain’ food habits bring their own food or does it bother you?

Lori

Nessa December 27, 2011 at 9:51 am

I love your website Lori and Michelle and want to thank you for your great recipes and tips! You’ve totally got me hooked on socca!

I always bring my own food to family gatherings and sometimes feel self conscious, but I think they understand that I don’t eat what they do and they support it. I just sometimes feel that they may get offended. But I like it much better for my tummy too! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one that does that. :) I hope you guys keep enjoying the holidays! Thanks for keeping us updated while you’re on holiday!

Lori and Michelle December 27, 2011 at 11:29 am

thanks Nessa!!! yay for socca :)
and good to know that I am not the only one as well, sometimes I feel like they get offended as well but in the long run I know they know that I am happy bringing my own food!

Liz @ iheartvegetables December 27, 2011 at 11:59 am

I bring my own food sometimes just so I know I have something I can fill up on if needed! My parents are SUPER good about making sure they have food I like though! :)

Your pictures are lovely! I love all the instagrams!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Keeping [Mostly] in CheckMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Liz when I am home with my family I usually do most of the cooking so yes I always make sure I have stuff ;) which is nice!!! and thanks we love instagram!!

Ela December 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Looks like you had a lovely time with your in-laws-to-be–that’s so good! Cute baby, and I love the pic of you and Gary in the mirror.

I bring my own food, or offer to bring a big salad/dish to share with everyone. Most people are very understanding. Some people really try and make something. Lately I haven’t been eating much dinner, so as long as there are some carrots and celery, I’m really happy!
Ela recently posted..Peppermint Coconut MoundsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Ela same here Garys family is very understanding and are always asking questions. it is nice to know that they care :) and want to learn new things.

Tonya December 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I agree. I’m vegan and it’s just easier if I bring my own food. Otherwise I’d starve. When I’m spending a “non-holiday” weekend with someone, it’s no big deal because we’re all just grappling for whatever at meal time. I just bring along fruit, Clif Bars, hummus wraps etc. For the holidays, I just bring along dishes to share. Usually, the dishes are so good people don’t even realize they’re vegan. That way I can fill my plate without standing out. This past Thanksgiving I made phyllo rolls filled with beans, tempeh, veggies and vegan cheese. I brought along roasted butternut squash with walnuts and cranberries over arugula. I made a cranberry sauce dish that beat the heck out of the canned stuff they were going to serve, and I made some great vegan desserts. Everyone was happy and I didn’t go home hungry or with stomach pains from eating foods I can’t handle.

Lori and Michelle December 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

that is awesome Tonya :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices December 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I bring my own food too, but mostly breakfast and snacks. It is easier than to just hope there is food you can eat wherever you go! glad you have a wonderful time!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Homemade Italian Manicotti!My Profile

hihorosie December 27, 2011 at 10:58 pm

it wouldn’t bother me if someone brought their own food. Actually, I’d feel a little bad I couldn’t have been more accommodating to their needs! Your salads look great…and of course, the donut and coffee. :) Baby Greyson is a doll! How fun! And I love the bathroom pic. ha ha!
hihorosie recently posted..Guest Post: Memory Boost From Food: 10 Tips to Improve Your Memory!My Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 27, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Hey Lovie!!! What a gorgeous christmas you had!!!! I love the holidays….

I do bring my own meals or dessert usually to Ryan’s parents place because they REALLY don’t cook that healthily…at least at my parents place they do!!

What a cute little man!! AWWWWW!!!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Be The Leading Character, Not The Best Friend {Your FAB Movie Called Life!}My Profile

Erica December 28, 2011 at 5:40 am

Glad you had such a nice Christmas! Bucks is always a road trip requirement. I like to bring a dish to holiday meals so I KNOW I’ll have something I love to eat ;) . OK, so where is this chocolate chip pie/cake recipe you posted on instagram? I need it in my life :)
Erica recently posted..Nutella BallsMy Profile

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 28, 2011 at 6:44 am

That pumpkin mousse looks so good!
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..Antioxidant Tuesdays-PrunesMy Profile

Lauren December 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Great pics, adorable Greyson! Looks like a great time!!
Lauren recently posted..Christmas Eve and Christmas DayMy Profile

katy January 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I’m a bit confused, do you have a bakery in Charlotte? If I knew about it I’d be there alll the time, my aunt lives there and her and her husband avoid gluten. I’m figuring out that I think I’m gluten intolerant and it’s pretty difficult for me! Thanks for the site and please let me know of some gluten free friendly places in the Raleigh/Durham area you might know about :)