{raw} spice dough truffles with carob glaze

by Lori and Michelle on December 2, 2011

raw vegan holiday truffes

hello friends! happy Friday!

this time of year is special in so many ways for us. one way it is so special is from all the wonderful memories we remember and reflect on. especially thinking of the memories we shared in the kitchen with our family. all the smells we grew up with.

today’s recipe was inspired by our love of ‘spice’ fall foods. not hot spice like a pepper but spice in terms of allspice, cloves and molasses. yes molasses. we never have shared a molasses recipe before but we do enjoy the flavor of molasses. and for some reason during the cold months we tend to enjoy it more. we know molasses is not truly raw but we like use it still from time to time, though we still prefer yacon syrup and maple syrup the best.

glutenfree vegan hazelnut truffles

making raw truffles style dough balls was also on our mind when thinking of today’s recipe.

the mesquite powder we added to these raw rounds adds in a nice depth of flavor. and using hazelnuts and coconut flakes makes them naturally gluten-free. these rounds or truffles as we like to call them are super easy to make and can be done with any spices of your liking!

the carob coating was something we decided on while we were making these spice dough balls. we wanted a thin coating to just accent the flavor more. and carob is what first came to mind. we just have an obsession with carob you could say as well.

carobglaze for glutenfree raw foods trufflesraw spice dough rounds setting after getting dipped into the carob glaze

yummy healthy hazelnut dough balls

now these my friends are a super easy and fun healthy dessert that you can (and should) enjoy this holiday season! we plan to enjoy these again and again.

healthy holiday truffle recipe

gluten-free raw and vegan holiday spice truffles never tasted so good

warning these truffles can be addicting. why not devour them? who could say no to a truffle, right? we sure can not obviously

dairy-free raw dough ball trufflethe texture in the inside was soft and moist. now these are not your average creamy truffle inside, not only are these raw but they are almost cake like dough balls just covered in a glaze. but using the name truffles sound more classy doesn’t?

these truffles were so flavorful too from the hint of allspice to the carob coating.

it is like an explosion of flavor in your mouth!

twins question: what reminds you of the holiday season? do you like the spices cloves, ginger, allspice, nutmeg? any other molasses fans out there?

Liz @ Southern Charm December 2, 2011 at 9:13 am

What a fun and simple Christmas treat! I have to try this out, because I can’t wait to share it with others!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Meatball & Goat Cheese BakeMy Profile

Heather @ Better With Veggies December 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

These look amazing – there are being added to my baking list immediately. :) I simmer a pot of water with spices (cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spices, whatever smells good!) and apples or oranges – makes the whole house smell like Christmas!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Guest Post: Making an Easy Dinner That Fits Your Caloric NeedsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

Heather that sounds like a great idea we will have to do that as well!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am such a spice girl…hot and the cinnamon, ginger kind of spice! These sound perfect for the holidays! I love little treats like this especially for get togethers! They look delicious! I hope you both have an incredible weekend ladies.
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Placing Judgement Is Just Wrong…My Profile

Lori and Michelle December 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

thanks Sarena same to you! and yay for another spice girl out there ;) HUGS

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

Looks delicious! Weekend project!
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..Maybe she’s born with it….maybe it’s….full of toxins?My Profile

Lara @ beingLA December 2, 2011 at 11:55 am

Okay, these would be great for a pre-workout snack. I’ll have to make that happen soon, especially since it’s all about spices during this time of the season! Have a wonderful day you beautiful ladies and thanks for always sharing the best!
Lara @ beingLA recently posted..A Guilt-Free Holiday CakeMy Profile

Megan @ The Detoxinista December 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love all of those holiday spices! Love how simple these truffles are to make, too– I think I have all the ingredients on hand already! (except Lucuma powder… still need to try that!)

Thanks for sharing!! :D
Megan @ The Detoxinista recently posted..Cultured Almond YogurtMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Megan and how yes you must try lucuma I think you will like it!

Ashleigh December 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Omgosh those look amazing!!!! Must try it when I get back from a work trip. Wish I could make them right now, right now!
Ashleigh recently posted..Airplanes in the Night Sky are like Shooting Stars (Travel Tips and A Story)My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! December 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

These look fantastic – perfect for the holiday season! I’m a big fan of ‘warming’ spices in the winter, and molasses too! I’ve been using a little molasses to sweeten my coffee lately, I love it.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Right Start December!My Profile

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

You had me hooked when you said they were like dough balls! YUMM! And I love the spice added in here. Great for warming you up :)

Erica December 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm

What a gorgeous treat! I would love to receive a box of these- such a great gift! Sorry I haven’t been commenting…your posts still aren’t showing up in my reader- silly reader!
Erica recently posted..Granola Bar Cookies & GoalsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm

No worries Erica, we are still working on what happened with our reader feed.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles December 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I just love fall spices (and pumpkin!), and I love that raw desserts come together so quickly and easily. These are definitely in the running as a raw vegan replacement for Oreo balls that my family is often caught devouring during the holidays!
Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles recently posted..How Do You Take Your Pizza?My Profile

Lori and Michelle December 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Awesome Kaitlyn ;)

Liz @ iheartvegetables December 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I’m so glad you included all of the substitution options! I think I can make these! :)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Frosting Over MistakesMy Profile

Tessa @ Amazing Asset December 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I have been reading your lovely blog for a bit now but have never commented! Madness I know :)
Anyway, these look rather fabulous! This is such a great recipe for the holidays not too complicated! Thank you for posting this!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..A Constant Reassurance Is NeededMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 3, 2011 at 6:10 am

Thank you Tessa for commenting :) Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free December 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

YUM! I love all the pumpkin spice seasonings….reminds me of the holidays, too!
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie Bars with Creamy FrostingMy Profile

Heathy December 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm

OOooh! I love carob! Your balls look great hehe :D

Teniel December 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Hi, what could you use instead of lucuma powder and the confectioner sugar?
I have all the other ingredients. Sounds good. I would use raw cacao powder because I dont have raw carob.

esmemerrie December 3, 2011 at 12:02 am

I’m intrigued!
esmemerrie recently posted..The Four Hour Body?My Profile

Lou December 3, 2011 at 3:41 am

LOVE molasses, and am totally loving the carob glaze you guys have come up with, genius!
Lou recently posted..#3My Profile

Lauren December 3, 2011 at 7:59 am

Yummy! This look delicious! I am a molasses fan for sure!!! :)
Lauren recently posted..Time For Catch UpMy Profile

hihorosie December 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Oooh, yummy! I’m out of a few ingredients but hopefully after I stock up this will be on my list to make. Even with the carob glaze!
hihorosie recently posted..Thoughtful ThursdayMy Profile

Rachel December 4, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I made these for a potluck this weekend and they were a hit. I called them Gingerbread Truffles because they had a gingerbread kind of taste to them, and everybody loved them. Thanks for the holiday inspiration!
Rachel recently posted..Healthy Holidays Ebook ReleaseMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 5, 2011 at 6:03 am

Rachel so glad to hear it!! :)

Nora @ Natural Noshing December 6, 2011 at 11:02 pm

these truffles are right up my alley! I love the glaze – YUM! and anything with spice makes me swoon :)

Anastasia@healthymaminfo.com December 6, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Looks terrific! Making it!

Lori December 9, 2011 at 8:29 am

Um wow! These look incredible. Seriously cute, simple looking, and perfect. I love the spice blend and that they are raw! I’m going to be trying these ones out soon.

How did you dip the balls into the glaze? Toothpick? Fingers? Any tips?

Lori and Michelle December 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

Lori we just dipped in a bowl of chocolate and used our fingers, very high end over haha