Triple Layer Cake

by Lori and Michelle on December 28, 2011

raw unbaked mousse cakeFall inspired mousse cake. A layer of spiced hazelnut cake topped with a pumpkin butter mousse and milk chocolate mousse.

unbaked mousse layered cakeIt is funny how this recipe came about.  Our original intention was to make a layered fall smores cake. Well our “graham” cake part did not come out as planned, but this recipe still tasted amazing. So we thought you all might enjoy it too.

Mousse style cakes have been types of cakes we have always enjoyed growing up. Particularly chocolate layered mousse cakes. Our fall inspired triple layer cake might be more adult like with all the spice flavors coming together while this cake being not too sweet. We feel it is a great balance of flavor on each layer that just melts in your mouth with each bite!

gluten free mousse pumpkin chocolate cake

this mousse cake requires no baking! so a quick and easy cake that is gluten free, vegan, and raw.

well semi-raw, as the pumpkin is cooked, but you could easily use raw pumpkin if you prefer to keep it all raw.

slices of mousse cakewe were surprised by this cake! by how much we loved all the different textures and flavors together.

the bottom cake was rich and flavorful. the first mousse layer -pumpkin butter, well that speaks for itself. and what really surprised us was our milk chocolate mousse layer. to us it really reminded us of milk chocolate. we prefer dark and more bitter chocolate things, but this was a wonderful treat.  since it reminded us of milk chocolate we decided to call it our milk chocolate mousse layer, we know we are so creative.

every layer had it’s own flavor, but when together they complemented one another perfectly.

gluten free cake with mousse filling

layered mousse cake

Our raw gluten free triple layer mousse cake was a big hit and we hope you enjoy it as much as we did. We kept going back for more. So delightful and so unexpected.

Twins Question: Do you like mousse style cakes? Do you like milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Do you ever make something that turned out to be unexpected but tasted amazing?

L&M

Lauren December 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

Oh yay!! This looks amazing, Lucina is my favorite thing to bake with- so glad to have a new recipe!! But if you guys still have the inclination To make

Lauren December 28, 2011 at 7:49 am

Sorry! Glitchy Internet :( would love a s’mores cake too :)
Lauren recently posted..The 5 Tibetan RitesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

Lauren promise one day we will make a smores cake ;)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

That looks so good and so professional!
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..Antioxidant Tuesdays-PrunesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 28, 2011 at 10:23 am

thanks Rebecca!

katie @KatieDid December 28, 2011 at 11:42 am

This sounds amazing because yes, I love loveee mousse and that texture of desserts. They always seem much more rich and decadent than a dry cake to me. And I love dark chocolate, my taste buds have completely changes, I nearly can’t stand the sweetness of milk chocolate anymore!

Lauren December 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I would love a slice of this!!
Lauren recently posted..Christmas Eve and Christmas DayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle December 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

you got it girl :) next time we will save you one!!

lindsay December 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

well i am glad it turned out the way it did! Yummy mousse cake to me. Layers are the best too.
lindsay recently posted..Travel Talk TuesdayMy Profile

Tessa @ Amazing Asset December 29, 2011 at 7:29 am

Oh wow, this looks wonderful! Thank you for the recipe and the directions “how to” I would love to do this for an upcoming party I am attending
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- Holiday and Challenges EditionMy Profile

Ela December 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Wow–yummy, simple and so beautiful! I love mousse textures, esp with irish moss. I’m a dark choc girl, but I can enjoy raw/vegan “milk” chocolates too (hate “real” milk choc)–I bet this would work with carob also.
Ela recently posted..Beauty and Humor, and Coconut WhiskeyMy Profile

Richa@HobbyandMore January 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm

that is a lovely cake.. i am loving the pumpkin and chocolate layers!