baked cheezy quinoa casserole

by lori on January 23, 2012

Happy Monday folks!

Michelle and I are excited to get back into a true routine! Who is with us? Who is ready to stop with the excuses, stop worrying, stop comparing to others, and just do what needs to be done and do it!

once I get all my work done for the day, I am left with one question….

healthy dinner casserole

haha, who else is in charge of making dinner in their house?

last week I wanted to make Gary something different for dinner. so I grabbed a bag of quinoa (one ingredient I always on my shelf for quick dinners for Gary) and went digging through the fridge to see want other food I had on hand.

I wanted a dinner that was easy to make, healthy, and made a lot for leftovers.

I looked over all the different spreads and sauces we have shared here on the blog. boy have Michelle and I made a lot. I went back and forth on want one to make, but luckily based upon the ingredients I had on hand I was able to pick one. plus Gary loves peppers so I made our original non-dairy cheezy pepper sauce with minor changes.

quick healthy casserole

a healthy dinner casserole made from wholesome ingredients that everyone in the family would love!

healthy quick dinner casserole

quinoa casserole naturally gluten free

ummm cheezy…could eat this as is, but baking this casserole adds a little more flavor and crunch!

quinoa casserole pre-bake

a healthy gluten free casserole

easy casserole meal

there you have it! an easy, healthy dinner casserole made from quinoa and veggies!

quick healthy gluten free casserole

just love how quick and easy casseroles are for creating nice healthy dinner meals. plus I love giving Gary quinoa as it is complete protein and naturally gluten free (I try to rotate gluten free foods into his diet). and casseroles are an easy way to eat more veggies!

I added in arugula because I love the spicy pepper flavor it provides! any dark leafy green would be a great substitution.

quick healthy dinner casserole

other quick healthy dinner meals that I love to make Gary are:

lentil squash piequinoa pie, veggie quinoa pieartichoke tahini pizza, leek zucchini pasta, socca sandwich stack

Twins Question: What is your favorite casserole to make? Do you like making casseroles?

hope I have inspired you to try out some healthy and quick dinner meals for you and your loved ones.

Lori

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 23, 2012 at 9:12 am

Oh my gosh this looks amazing! And I love that it’s wheat-free and vegan too so my stomach would approve :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Season of Girl Scout CookiesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 10:26 am

thanks Brittany! and oh yes a great one for us to in terms of stomach being happy!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

That looks AMAZING. Yes.Please.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Attack of the Kung Fu Fairy.My Profile

Heidi @ Food Doodles January 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yummy! I totally want to try this with broccoli. I’ve been seriously craving some kind of cheesy broccoli concoction, maybe with rice, but quinoa sounds way better!
Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted..Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip MuffinsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Heidi broccoli would be wonderful! I am sure it would work with rice.

Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

This looks incredible!! This honestly looks so delicious and so healthy! What a great idea, thanks for sharing!
Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate TrufflesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Thank you Chelsea!

Lisa January 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

Wow–this looks great!

I don’t make many casseroles, but I do lean toward roasted veggie based ones. Quinoa is a fave in my house!
Lisa recently posted..Starting Monday with Lists, Hoping it Carries Over to Productivity!My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! January 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

this looks so so good! I love making big casseroles with lots of leftovers. My favorite is doing a mock shepherds pie with a veggie stew and sweet potato topping :-) perfect comfort food.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Back to BasicsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Rachel that sounds wonderful!

Rebecca January 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Souds and looks amazing!
Rebecca recently posted..A Few of My Favorite ThingsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Thanks Rebecca!

Kris January 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I swear our pantries must look identical – I love how often you use tahini! it is a favorite flavor here, too.

I am not a big casserole person – I have no idea why – I just never think to make them. the closest thing to casserole to me is a lasagna or enchiladas! this sounds amazing, though, so I need to make it!
Kris recently posted..lifeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Kris we do have similar pantries ;) xoxo you know we love our tahini!

katie @KatieDid January 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Looks totally comforting. I don’t make many casseroles because I’m just cooking for myself and would tend to get sick of a dish if I had that much on hand for a whole week.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I made a casserole kind of like this a while back, and I LOVED it!!! Who knew that quinoa lended itself so well to casseroles?! Y’all’s looks great!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Birthday Weekend + Nursery UpdateMy Profile

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Mmmmm this looks delicious! I love the cheezy flavors added, but without the actual cheese! Thanks for sharing, I’d take a big bowl right now :)
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..lunch for the week: bbq turkey burgersMy Profile

Lee January 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Great recipe and looks tasty and satisfying and easy on my temperamental stomach. thanks :)

Erica January 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Perfect!!! Sounds totally yummy. I havent made quinoa in a while, i need to pick up a bag. I want that sauce
Erica recently posted..Restaurant Week: Halls ChophouseMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Yes Erica you must ;)

jessie ann james January 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

this will be dinner tomorrow! thank you it looks fabulous!
jessie ann james recently posted..Saturday Sweat!My Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com January 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

We love quinoa big time! Such a healthy and tasty grain. I make all different kinds of quinoa casseroles, but never tried arugula in it. Sounds like a great idea!

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm

thanks Anatasia, we are quinoa fans too! we love arugula, we like the flavor it gives dishes!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale January 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Holy moly. WOWIE! This looks like a meal made from heaven.
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Be-YOU-tifulMy Profile

Julie January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I totally pinned this! I just learned about arugula and I’ve been dying to use squash in a dish AND I’m always told to try quinoa sooo you sold me! 3 for 3.
Julie recently posted..MemoriesMy Profile

Julia January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

This looks amazing! I have to try it! Thanks for sharing! I just had a quinoa concotion with lentils chard and cauliflower. I’ll have to try your awesome sounding sauce!

lynn @ the actor's diet January 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm

WANT. that looks so good!
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..Unhungry DragonMy Profile

Kelsey January 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm

this looks so tasty!! esp. the sauce mmmmm
Kelsey recently posted..BookmarkedMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I was never huge with casseroles, but boy do they come in handy now! I made enchiladas last week and the boys (and I) went crazy over them! This is definitely going on my list to make this week! That casserole looks amazing!!!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Enchiladas!My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Sarena! We need to try making enchiladas!

Laury @thefitnessdish January 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm

This looks amazing, girls!!!

I NEVER make casseroles but swear I was just thinking I need to come up with some things to bring to amily gatherings…my family always just makes me roasted veggies, but nothing with a protein. This high protein grain and the noosh are great…and turmeric is SO good for you!

Thank you! Pinning!!!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Homemade Walnut MilkMy Profile

Alisa January 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

That looks amazing ladies!
Alisa recently posted..Sweet No Added Sugar Whole Grain CerealMy Profile

Liz @ iheartvegetables January 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm

That looks absolutely amazing!!!! I’ve been looking for some new ways to eat quinoa! Perfect!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Spreadable Peanut Butter Cup FillingMy Profile

Sara January 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

This looks super tasty and I can’t wait to make it. But an curious what kind of yellow squash you use in the sauce. Is that a yellow zucchini? Thanks for the great recipe!!

Lori and Michelle January 24, 2012 at 6:31 am

Sara yes yellow summer squash. But any squash/zucchini would work.

Ela January 23, 2012 at 11:26 pm

What a lovely recipe! I don’t make casseroles often because it makes so much food and we’re really two people with opposite diets, but I love the idea. Arugula and cauli with the quinoa and sauce sounds like a beautiful combo, as well as delicious.
Ela recently posted..Five Things about ME? (final Bliss Challenge)My Profile

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 24, 2012 at 6:42 am

That looks great! I love using quinoa!
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..What is BPA?My Profile

Meagan January 24, 2012 at 6:50 am

That looks good! I’d totally make it if I ate grains. The sauce is a good idea, definitely! Sounds super easy too :) Also I really like your bowls in the last few shots… where did you purchase them?
Meagan recently posted..Grain-free Lemon Biscuit CookiesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

Meagan we got the bowls at Target last year around Christmas, they were on sale. Not sure if still available.

LizAshlee January 24, 2012 at 6:56 am

I love quinoa!! This looks simple and delicious…of course healthy! Just my kinda meal! Thanks for sharing!!!
LizAshlee recently posted..New Actions=New ResultsMy Profile

Nora @ Natural Noshing January 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

WOW this looks incredible! I adore quinoa with nutritional yeast so I know I would LOVE this casserole! Plus I love having leftovers … it’s a win-win! Making this soon!!! :)
Nora @ Natural Noshing recently posted..Almond Rose Petal Scones (Grain-Free)My Profile

hihorosie January 25, 2012 at 12:01 am

Ooh, yummy! Looks so good and I bet tasty. Hmm, thinking YS2 would love some. :)
hihorosie recently posted..WinterMy Profile

Maaike January 26, 2012 at 7:51 am

I made this last night but with rice – it was great! The sauce by itself was so yummy – the sweet peppers just make it so fresh and tasty. Who knew you could make a sauce/dressing by blending sweet peppers and squash?! I get to have leftovers for lunch too – lucky me:> Thanks for the recipe girls!

Lori and Michelle January 26, 2012 at 8:01 am

Maaike awesome so happy to hear you loved it!! we have a lot of sauces/dressings recipes using veggies ;) here are just some here http://www.pure2raw.com/?s=sauces

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Made the sauce tonight minus the tahini, plus a TBSP ACV, garlic powder and onion powder. It was so good over roasted vegetables and scrambled egg whites!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Chia Jam Addiction…My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Awesome Sarena!! glad you liked it ;)

Owen Sliva February 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Owen Sliva recently posted..HotelMy Profile

elle potter March 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm

YUM! It’s in the oven as we speak (: I substituted asparagus for the squash… cannot wait to eat this, I’ve been wanting to make it since January and forgot about it. Thanks ladies!
elle potter recently posted..Recap of Last Night’s #FHBC12 ChatMy Profile

chris June 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Is this “cheese” sauce like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese? If not, do you have any ideas on how to make it this way? I am trying to make a cheddar sauce like that without cashews. Perhaps tahini, hemp seeds, or chia seeds might work. Any ideas?

Lori and Michelle June 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Chris honestly this is nothing like Kraft. When you use real food it taste a little different than stuff you get in the store. Sorry. But yes tahini or hemp seeds would be fine, maybe a combination of both. Chia seeds would not work. Sunflower seeds are another option you could use.

Lynda February 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Hi Lori, Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I made it and everyone LOVED it! Even my picky 6 year old :-) I am so glad i found your site. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Lori and Michelle February 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

Glad you find us too Lynda and so glad you and your son enjoyed it!

Laura March 12, 2013 at 8:38 am

For the sauce, are the pepper and squash supposed to be cooked first?

Lori and Michelle April 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Laura not they start raw and then bake in oven.

A. April 2, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Making this as I type… the sauce is SO GOOD! Thanks!

Jolene December 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm

when you say yelllow squash do you mean yelow zucchini?? slightly confused. Thanks. excited to try it :)

Lori and Michelle January 3, 2014 at 8:16 pm