{mini} vegan vanilla donuts

by Lori and Michelle on January 9, 2012

nothing says welcome home more than donuts, right?

vegan mini donuts

while I was gone, Lori worked on a vegan version of our mini gluten free cardamon cake donuts that we have been enjoying lately. we had a reader and friend comment about making a vegan version, as most of our recipes can be made vegan and vice versa. but not all recipes, not just ours, but in general there needs to be a little tweaking done to make vegan and gluten-free recipes.

after 4 trails, we realized what works the best, what does alright, and what does not work.

gluten free egg free donut

a mix of starch flour in this recipe works the best to make these donuts without eggs. coconut flour in general can be tricky to bake with, so mixing in another flour helps with texture. we found potato starch works the best in terms of providing donuts with a light texture, just like in our gluten free vegan pumpkin donuts.  although we did make them with arrowroot and worked pretty good.

and last note, we found coconut milk works much better than water, and taking another step of making your own buttermilk out of the coconut milk would provide an even better donut . which is what we do most of the time in our baking. we just prefer the light texture “coconut buttermilk” gives vegan and gluten-free baked goods. just our opinion. if you are new to gluten free baking check out our post on our favorite gluten-free flours.

we will let you guys be the judge as what makes a better baked vegan donut, as everyone likes different things.

we enjoy these donuts warmed and store in fridge. can freeze them for longer shelf life.

vegan mini baked donuts

again these are just some basic ideas for baking gluten free and vegan. we try not to use a lot of starches anymore in vegan baking but sometimes they really help the final product. we cut back on using starches because we try to condense the amount of different starches and flours we have on hand. trying to make thing more simple on us and hopefully the recipes we make.

some main starches used in most gluten free recipes you will see are: corn (which we never use), potato, arrowroot, and tapioca. we enjoy them all but do like potato and arrowroot the best.  are starches mandatory in gluten free vegan baking? no, just really help with texture.

Twins Question: What are your thoughts on using starches in gluten free and vegan baking? Why do you use or not use them? If you use starches in baking what are your favorites?

Michelle and Lori

Tamikko January 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

mmm! Looks like a great recipe. Can’t wait to try them :) Thanks for the recipe twins.

Lori and Michelle January 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Tamikko! Let us know how they turn out for ya

katie @KatieDid January 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I’m not familiar with baking with starches. The only starch I have ever used is corn but in sauces to thicken it. Do starches add a nice texture to baked goods?

Lori and Michelle January 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Katie most of the time starches help provide a better texture in gluten free baked goods, though some recipes you can get away with using starches. all depends on recipe and what you want out of the recipe we feel. sometimes in gluten free baking without starches they can be a little denser then with the starches.

Erica January 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Yum! What a perfect treat to come home too!! I want to experiment more with vegan baking. I love the results!

Lou January 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Great tips – you guys are the Queens of gluten free baking! Love the idea of making buttermilk out of coconut milk – must try this :)

I use potato starch, and tapioca starch in my cooking, they are both useful products to have on hand!
Lou recently posted..Comment on get yo fruit face on by LouMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Lou! and yes we love making our own buttermilk out of coconut milk, works great!

bitt January 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Wow, complicated stuff you did. The result: mouthwatering donuts! I usually take a vegan recipe and GF it, it’s too much to take a nonvegan gluten recipe and do both. But I haven’t been doing too much baking these days, it’s very hard xgfx. I did not know that the egg replaces starches. I was always disappointed because the seemingly “healthier” GF recipes with almond flour, etc have egg in them. I do get frustrated when people say “oh just use a flax egg” because as you have described, it’s much more complex with the gluten free factor. But the xgfx community sure appreciates this recipe and any others you come up with!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 10, 2012 at 5:42 am

At least you got to try a lot of doughnuts as you perfected the recipe! :)
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..The Mystery Behind High Fructose Corn SyrupMy Profile

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free January 10, 2012 at 6:04 am

They are so adorable, girls!!! Mm Mm!

I try to stay away from starches because I like using more whole grains and flours, but occasionally I will use it if the recipe needs it.
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Day 10: A Day of VeganMy Profile

Heathy January 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You’ve done it again! I NEED to make these… I have the donut pan, now I just have to wait until the sugar cleanse is over. xoxo
Heathy recently posted..Snacking in a Winter WonderlandMy Profile

Ela January 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I so admire your dedication to testing and reposting!

I like potato and arrowroot starches, but I quite like tapioca too (maybe because it’s easy to get hold of).
Ela recently posted..Mint-Carob Truffles–So Good, They Get a Post to ThemselvesMy Profile

hihorosie January 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm

you’re killing me with donuts! I really need to get a donut baker. It seems so easy!
hihorosie recently posted..Don’t Dew It!My Profile

Shirley @ gfe January 22, 2012 at 7:03 pm

These donuts look sensational! Must get these donut rings. Just shared on my gfe Facebook page! :-)

Shirley
Shirley @ gfe recently posted..Bacon Turkey (or Chicken) Corn Chowder (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, and More Free)My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thank you so much Shirley!! We appreciate your support!

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thank you so much Shirley for your support!

Dee Johnson January 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Wow, these look so good! What would be a good substitute for the 1/4 vanilla bean powder? And what would be the measurement for the substitution? I’ve never heard of vanilla bean powder before. Thanks!

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

Dee you can just omit the vanilla bean powder and use the vanilla extract. the vanilla powder just gives a more fresh vanilla flavor plus gives the black specks that we just love!

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 8:28 am

Hello Dee, you can just omit the vanilla bean powder and just use the vanilla extract in recipe. The vanilla bean powder just helps give it a more fresh vanilla flavor as we as adds in little black specs which we just love.

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Well aren’t those just pretty! :P
GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted..Saving PaulaMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thank you Gigi Eats!

DeathofaDame January 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

Do you have the nutrition facts for the these?

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 8:30 am

Sorry we do not have the nutritional facts.

Amber K January 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yum! These look delicious.
Amber K recently posted..I Want Some ChexMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Amber!

Shannon R. January 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I would be making these as a gift for someone who is allergic to potatoes, among other allergies, could another starch be used to replace potato starch?

Lori and Michelle January 26, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Shannon, I would do arrowroot starch, and you will need to up the amount 1-2 tbsp as potato starch is heavier weight wise.

kelsey March 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

It says 1/4 vanilla bean powder. Is it a cup, or a tablespoon? I am baking them tonight!

Lori and Michelle March 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Kelsey it is 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder, sorry about that. :)

Ivy April 14, 2012 at 6:32 am

Hi would love to try to make these but a few questions on substitutions; can I use syrups such as rice syrup or agave instead of sugar? Any chance I can just pipe these in muffin Pan and if so at what temperature? I’ve quite a but of sorghum flour left, wondering if you can advise how I CSM use this instead of coconut flour or with it? Can we fry these to make crispier? J know sounds aweful but just wondering. Also Wondering what i kind of texture should I expect. Since I am used to store bought krispy cream style or fried donuts at fairs that are crispy on the outside. Thanks again and look forward to hearing your thoughts. I am totally excited that I can now eat donuts again.

Lori and Michelle April 16, 2012 at 7:43 am

Ivy, you can try a liquid sugar. you will have to reduce the milk. we have not made them with a liquid sugar so not sure the texture it will give them. yes you can bake them in an oven in muffin pan at 350 for about 10-13 mins, but again not sure the texture with liquid sugar. Just use the sorghum for coconut flour, and again you will need to reduce the liquid in the recipe as coconut flour soaks up liquid. we have never fried donuts so we cannot say how they will come out. sorry. these donuts being gluten free and vegan will not be like store bought or krispy cream. they are bake cake like donuts.

Stephanie April 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Made these today with a little cardamom = insanely delicious!
Maybe it’s the arrowroot, but I somehow thought it tasted similar to oriental sweet potatoes :)

Nikki April 23, 2012 at 7:09 am

So, I made these for my family. I am the one with the wheat allergy, but I had to make enought for everyone and I doubled the recipe. We ate them, everyone LOVED them, then I realized I had forgotten to add the sugar to the batter! No one even noticed! Thanks for sharing the recipe! It had been about 9 months since I had eaten a donut and these were SO good!!

Lori and Michelle April 23, 2012 at 8:53 am

Nikki awesome! we are so happy to hear this!!!

Lynn May 2, 2012 at 11:02 am

Amazing recipe! I absolutely love your blog! I can’t wait to try these! (Check out my website for Gluten free Tours in the NYC Area)

Melanie November 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm

These are amazing! Made the first batch with olive oil since the coconut oil was too hard, and used white sugar. Second batch, used sucanat and soy free earth balance. Both were absolutely delish! Tried another recipe online using bean flour and didn’t like it as much. Next time I’ll use the coconut oil and sucanat… And the time after that!

Thank you!

AmethystJean May 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm

These look great. I just bought a donut pan today. Maybe I should have gotten the mini one but I will adapt! I do use starches to help balance my gluten free vegan baking but it is usual a small portion of the recipe.

Julie Collins September 30, 2013 at 9:45 am

I have a twin sister too! We are both vegans, eat organically and use earth friendly products ! I think it’s awesome that you put a gf vegan donut recipe out here that is alot lower in sugar than most donut recipes. Now I just have to go find a donut pan. Thankyou, Julie