easy mini cake recipe

by michelle on January 26, 2012

are you ready to make the easiest cake ever??

well a few days ago I Instagramed this breakfast

sugar free chocolate cake

here is what Lori and I did – we followed our favorite cake recipe and threw in some cinnamon and cherries. we have been brainstorming some Valentine recipe ideas and naturally we came up with this one.

this cake recipe is so easy that your other half, the one that may not be the best in the kitchen, cannot mess it up.

the perfect breakfast for two.

great things about this cake recipe are:

1. it is made with chocolate
  2. easy to make
  3. made with cherries, which we love with chocolate
  4. contains no added sugar, so great for people like us who cannot handle a lot of sugar

a very simple cake recipe

cherry cake with chocolate

place cakes in oven.

healthy breakfast cakes for valentines day

grain free chocolate cake

healthy gluten free cakeDIG IN!

sugar free cakes

chocolate cake recipe

your loved one will thank you for making them this chocolate cake for breakfast!! who doesn’t want cake for breakfast?? plus being sugar free you won’t have a sugar rush first thing in the morning.

sorry for the short post today. we went to bed really really late, or early morning, depending how you look at.  and we are still waking up! now looking at all these pictures we are getting hungry…mmm chocolate for breakfast!

thanks everyone for your sweet words and support of our fitness journey video!  some people asked for more videos, what would you like to see us talk about? we do have a few ideas, just wanted to see what you all thought.

Twins Question: Do you like chocolate and cherries together? What is your favorite fruit with chocolate? Do you like having chocolate for breakfast?

Have a wonderful day!

Michelle

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 26, 2012 at 8:27 am

Oh my goodness, those look so sinfully good! Wow! Cherries are great with chocolate! I would say I love it best with strawberries and raspberries!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Sugar Free Football OreosMy Profile

Tamikko January 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

drool drool! YUMMM! thanks for the recipe. I definitely going to make it this weekend. Love that it’s so easy :)

Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness January 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

This looks AMAZING!!! I need to make some STAT!!

I personally LOVE chocolate with fruit – esp banana and chocolate or raspberry chocolate. My boyfriend, however, cannot stand chocolate with fruit! I don’t know why. I might have to do his with choc chips or with nothing added:) Nevertheless, these are getting made!
Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness recently posted..Roasted Curried CauliflowerMy Profile

Erica January 26, 2012 at 9:05 am

I am SO making this! What a great idea. Who doesn’t like a little chocolate for breakfast?
Erica recently posted..Waffles of Insane GreatnessMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 26, 2012 at 9:06 am

Erica exactly xoxo

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free January 26, 2012 at 9:05 am

This looks sooooo amazing, girls!!! WOWWWW!
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Day 26: Iced CoffeeMy Profile

KaterinaBonVora January 26, 2012 at 9:06 am

brilliant! i don’t have cherries but I’m thinking of trying this mix soon. thank youuus :)
KaterinaBonVora recently posted..Altars on the HighwayMy Profile

Liz @ IHeartVegetables January 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

Ironically, I actually DON’T normally like chocolate and fruit flavors together. But this does look amazing! My friends and I have potlucks every Thursday and a couple just started joining in, and they’re GF so I can’t wait to try out some of your recipes for them!

the delicate place January 26, 2012 at 9:50 am

!!! i wondered what this was!! i absolutely love chocolate and cherries together! this would be the perfect valentines morning breakfast! btw, are you running any promos from the bakery for v-tines? nate absolutely LOVES your stuff (obviously i am already a convert ;) and thought it would be nice to pick up some extra special handmade treats! x i try to eat chocolate with breakfast a couple times weekly usually in a protein smoothie (a mocha-almond-hemp frosty usually).
the delicate place recently posted..guess who’s backMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

Melissa yes we are going to launch a sale starting tomorrow, we will share it here on blog. xoxo

Lisa January 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

These look amazing! I would definitely use cherries…they go perfectly (in my mind) with chocolate!
Lisa recently posted..Garden Plans and Brussels SproutsMy Profile

lynn @ the actor's diet January 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

love love love! adorable. thanks for the idea!
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..At the CoupaMy Profile

char @ char on a mission January 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

Mmm, these look super good!! And they have sweet potatoes in them…super cool!!!
char @ char on a mission recently posted..thursday thoughtsMy Profile

Evan Thomas January 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

There are no words but “friggin delicious”
Evan Thomas recently posted..Scrambled TofuMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 26, 2012 at 10:37 am

Chocolate and cherries for breakfast…I’m sold! I love quick easy cakes especially when they are healthy and you can have them at breakfast! Get some rest today! I slept horribly and have to work late…it’s gonna be a long day.
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Tabata And Some Realizations…My Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

OMG!! Grain free chocolate cake without sugar?! COME TO MOMMA!!!!!

These little cakes look amaze, thank you!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..I Know I’m a FREAK for 2 Things…My Profile

Salad Maggie January 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

Oh these are perfect!! I don’t have hazlenut flour so I think I would sub it out for almond meal. YUM!
Salad Maggie recently posted..simple stirfry, siggi’s breakfast, & resolutions updateMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Salad Maggie yes almond flour would be great too!

Ela January 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love how you’re pursuing the choc/hazelnut theme, and choc is a perfect addition. Choc doesn’t work so well for me, but I like the idea of choc for bfast anyway ;)

You are so ahead of the game thinking of Valentines, but then again I guess it’s pretty soon!
Ela recently posted..Resolving to Write, Spousal Support, and That SlawMy Profile

Tamara January 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Pretty sure I just wanna eat these all day, not just for breakfast!!!

T

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 26, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Oh my gosh these look DELICIOUS and so easy peasy! I loovvee chocolate + cherries. In fact, I love chocolate + anything, especially for breakfast
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..January SantaMy Profile

Jessica LeBoeuf January 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I don’t really like cherries because they have pits, but I do love chocolate…even better for breakfast. Does that keep you full? Also, what does the apple cider vinegar do for the recipe?

Lori and Michelle January 27, 2012 at 7:47 am

we use it to help lighten and lift the cake instead of baking soda or powder. and we just love ACV.

Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm

You think I could use peanut flour instead of the cocoa instead? I’m trying to stay away from anything chocolate but would love to try your recipe! They look great though!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Cleaning House by CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.comMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 27, 2012 at 7:48 am

yes Melissa that should work. or you could use carob as a great chocolate replacement.

Teniel January 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Looka amazing.
Do you think you could substitute the eggs for Chia seeds soaked in some water?
Im thinking of trying these in the dehydrator with some raw sweet potato blended in the vitamix
and make them a raw cake.

Lori and Michelle January 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

we feel making chia seed gel for the eggs would be ok, and doing it in the dehydrator. just not the taste and texture will be different.

Katie January 26, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Whoa, is V-Day really coming up?!?! Wasn’t it just Halloween?

These cakes look great! I’m not a big fan of fruit in my chocolate (I’m kind of a chocolate purist), but I could get into them plain. I’d probably eat them both though. ;)
Katie recently posted..Cookies: Peanut Butterish Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

I know right Katie, were does the time go?

Alyssa (Down To Earth) January 27, 2012 at 5:15 am

These are a great way to keep portion control in mind…and they’re too cute! I can’t wait to give them a whirl.
Alyssa (Down To Earth) recently posted..Sneaky GreensMy Profile

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 27, 2012 at 8:13 am

Oh my goodness, these look so good! I can’t believe they are so easy. Looks like a perfect weekend treat – posted just in time. :-)

I am so glad I found your blog – looking forward to reading more!

Happy Friday!
~Emily~
Emily (Edible Psychology) recently posted..Mushroom walnut pestoMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

Hello Emily, thank you! glad you found us too.

ChenaRaw January 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

These look awesome! My plan is to sub the eggs out for flax seed meal and pop them in the dehydrator. Yum!

ChenaRaw January 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

How do I add a pic to my comments?

Lori and Michelle January 28, 2012 at 5:32 am

You can make an gravator account and you can add picture there.

hihorosie January 29, 2012 at 1:18 am

fun! I want to make and eat those!
hihorosie recently posted..Thoughtful ThursdayMy Profile

AngAK February 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

these look wonderful for breakfast! what a good idea. (you may want to fix your type-o in “place cheeries into cakes”)

Lori and Michelle February 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm

thanks for mentioning it- we shall fix thanks again

Kate Schlag February 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm

These look great! If it’s good for breakfast, it’ll be great for a healthy dessert!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 3, 2012 at 2:24 am

Oh my goodness this looks so yummy!!! I might try it with blueberries for a different twist. I’m loving grain free treats atm….have a whole batch of GF orange cranberry muffins that i’ve been noshing on for snacks
Sarah @ The Healthy Diva recently posted..10 ways to Prevent and Ease Muscle SorenessMy Profile

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Awwwwhhhhh, I want one of those SO badly! <3

Cara February 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Definitely gonna try this soon :) Thank you!
Cara recently posted..Sunday Funday – February 5th, 2012My Profile

Jill Mant~a SaucyCook February 6, 2012 at 11:21 am

Isn’t it illegal to not like chocolate and cherries together? Seriously, this recipe looks and sounds delish and healthy. A must try for sure! Thanks.
Jill Mant~a SaucyCook recently posted..Roasted Tomatoes, Spinach and Mushroom Spaghetti PieMy Profile

Clare February 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I made a little variation of these today! Thanks so much for sharing :) I just discovered your blog and I absolutely love it, so many wonderful recipes I can’t wait to try!

MHK February 7, 2012 at 8:00 am

Owhhh I love choc a lot. This look nice, simple and easy to bake.

Thanks,
Sugar Free Birthday Cakes for Diabetics

Brianne February 20, 2012 at 10:16 am

So fun! I have frozen cherries in the freezer… Can’t wait to use them in these adorable cakes! My son will be so excited to have chocolate for breakfast!
Brianne recently posted..Days 48-51: Pay attention to yourself.My Profile

Theresa March 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

These look super yummy! One of the kids have a nut allergy though, so what would be best to sub for the nut flour?

Lori and Michelle March 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

Theresa you could use any flour really, buckwheat, brown rice, etc.

Lauren March 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I made these and doubled the recipe using applesauce instead of sweet potato puree…and they came out very bitter and tasted really bad! Was doubling the recipe what did that? Or the applesauce?

Lori and Michelle March 29, 2012 at 5:16 am

Lauren well it is kind of a bitter chocolate cake from not really adding any extra sweetness, the applesauce might have done something to the flavor instead of sweet potato puree. sorry about the bitter taste, maybe adding in some stevia or some of your favorite sweetener and/or vanilla might help next time. this cake was not that sweet- sorry guess we should have explained that more.

siew wei May 4, 2012 at 6:34 am

May i know is it alright to replace the hazelnut flour with almond flour? and apples for pumpkins?

Lori and Michelle May 4, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yes you can!!

Rachael July 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

Just found your blog and I’m SO excited!! I have a sugar allergy and I’m always looking for natural/sugar free recipes!! Definitely going to try yours!!!!

Rachel Porter September 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi!
I want to make this and am wondering if you think the hazelnut flour could be subbed for coconut flour or flax meal?

Lori and Michelle November 2, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Rachel not sure, you could try but might lead to a different result