chocolate cardamom tahini mini donuts

by michelle on January 20, 2012

Hey luvs,

Thanks for everyone’s tips on getting up for a morning workout!! Today Lori and I did manage to get our workout done in the morning and feel great that we did! Thanks again for the support.

okay if you follow us twitter or instagram, you would have seen me show a picture of a donut, but did not reveal what it was…hehe, until now!

and what is better than a gluten free baked chocolate donut recipe?

a chocolate cardamom donut recipe with a tahini lucuma frosting!

well we got you covered!

baked gluten free donut

just like our cardamom vanilla donuts and vegan vanilla donuts, these are so easy to make (not sure if that is a good thing haha), and beyond tasty! they can be enjoyed plain or with frosting!

mini chocolate donuts

dairy free donut frosting

chocolate donut recipe

substitutions for these chocolate donuts:

• carob instead of cocoa
  • almond flour instead of hazelnut
  • and sugar replacement would work, just not a liquid one
  • for a vegan version, follow our mini vegan donut recipe and 2 tbsp cocoa 2 tbsp coconut flour

substitutions for tahini lucuma frosting:

• any nut butter for the tahini
  • coconut butter for the tahini
  • maple syrup instead of lucuma
  • almond or coconut milk for water

mini baked chocolate donut recipe

why did we make these chocolate donuts? well after enjoying our hazelnut cakes and seeing how they came our great. we noticed that recipe had no oil, so we thought lets try a donut without oil. why no oil? we mentioned in our foods that can cause acne post about how we are noticing our bodies do not digest cooked oils that well. so we are trying recipes without oil.

donut chocolate recipe

now go make yourself some healthy baked mini chocolate donuts with no oil!

please let us know your thoughts. we thought these chocolate donuts were perfect that once we made one batch, we went and made more the next day! they are light, airy and just plain old scrumptious.

have a wonderful Friday!

Michelle

shannonmarie (rawdorable) January 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

You had me had hazelnut chocolate cardamom :-)

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 8:53 am

Shannonmarie – xoxo love cardamom!

Priscilla January 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

Oh my! Looooooved the pink donut maker!! That’s so pure2raw twins! :D

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 9:02 am

haha thanks Priscilla!

Bex January 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Pinned!! I love your photos :)
Bex recently posted..Let’s Be Friends Friday: Working Out Sucks – Week 2My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thank you Bex!

Nikki FYC January 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Yum! Great flavor combo, & beautiful photos. This just got pinned :)
Nikki FYC recently posted..It’s A Green Drink WeekendMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

thanks Nikki!

katie @KatieDid January 20, 2012 at 9:45 am

These are great, the frosting is especially unique. I drizzle tahini over pretty much every meal I make but I never considered it in a ‘sweet’ way. I think you’re on to something for sure, it sounds decadent!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

Oh my goodness those look tasty!! And I had never heard of lucuma until now!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Dinner, Gymboss, and NikeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 11:38 am

thanks Lindsay, we love our lucuma. We get it from Navitas Naturals.

janetha January 20, 2012 at 10:48 am

=/ I re-subscribed to your feed and I thought it was working and it turns out it isn’t. Sigh. I will have to keep tabs on checking your posts manually instead of in reader because I hate missing out on what you lovely ladies are up to.

Anyway, these donuts look great and I will make a batch for my vegan friends! We are having a vegan friend watch our house when we go on a trip, so I want to make him a few goodies to leave while we are gone. These would be perfect.

I love using xylitol! I feel like it tastes way better than something like stevia or other sweeteners.
janetha recently posted..app happy.My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

Sorry Janetha, are new feed does seem to be working on our end, when you click on the RSS link does it say pure2raw/new because that means it is our new feed, and it should work. but sorry for the troubles. and yes we xylitol though we like stevia too just the liquid version.

Teresa January 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

What kind of donut maker do you guys have? I bought a Bella one from Target and my donuts don’t look like yours plus alot of steam/smoke comes out of it. I am definitely not a professional baker like you guys. Everything you make looks so good!!

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 11:42 am

Bella is the brand we got from Target too, yes there is some steam coming out. It is supposed to get better the more you use it, though we still have some steam coming through ours. Hang in there just time you use it, it will get better and the donuts will come out better!!

natalie (the sweets life) January 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

so interesting that these are without oil! it makes me wonder what else oil can be eliminated from!

have a good weekend girls :)

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

thanks Natalie, and yes we are trying to see what else can be done without oil too, we are curious to see if that is one of our issues with our skin. we shall see.

Laury @thefitnessdish January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm

That’s it! I am going out this weekend to get a doughnut pan! I need to start making your recipes. Hazelnut flour!??? Sounds awesome!!!!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Body Image After Baby ~ Part 2My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thanks Laury, the hazelnut flour is just ground up hazelnuts ;)

Charissa January 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

You girls! You always make me painfully aware of the fact I do not have a donut pan.
Charissa recently posted..Instant Frozen YogurtMy Profile

Becky January 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I love all your recipes, everything always looks so good! I’ve recently discovered that I have a gluten intolerance and have been avoiding it, along with trying to seriously reduce the amount of sugar I consume. I know you girls do the same and I was hoping you could give some tips/items that would help me out? I’ve never done any gluten free baking but need to learn! I would SOOO appreciate it!
Becky recently posted..Sugar & Gluten Are Not My FriendsMy Profile

Stephanie January 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

omg!! stop making me drool over my desk!!!

caloricandcrazy January 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

Those donuts look so pretty! :)

Caitlin January 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

You are geniuses! Those look so good!
Caitlin recently posted..Happiness GoalsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Caitlin!

Lisa January 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

These sound and look amazing—and I think the no oil and hazelnut flour sounds like a great idea!
Lisa recently posted..Breakfast Fail but Fun with FriendsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

we shall see with the no oil. so far so good. though just been a few days haha

Erica January 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Ve never used hazelnut flour, but i love almond meal so i imagine id like this! Great, healthy alternative
Erica recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Jack PizzaMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

yes hazelnut is pretty similar to almonds we feel :)

Betty January 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Twins, I made the recipe. :)

I can’t say I made the doughnuts.(I don’t have a doughnut pan)

I made cookies. :) I covered the pan in parchment paper. Used about 2 Tbsp scoop.
Baked 350 for 13 minutes. The cookies were soft, with slightly crunchy edges.

I opted to make ice cream sandwiches with the cookies. :) Soooooo good!

My husband said they were perfect. :)

I had to make some subs, due to not having hazelnut flour or, cardamom.

I used almond flour and, vanilla. :)

Thanks for sharing.

I am going to get a doughnut maker from Target too. Just for the fun of it! :)

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Betty awesome!!!! Sounds great! and yes go get one you will love it :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Your feeds are back! I got 5 of your posts in a row! Woohoo! I’m glad you guys are getting back on track. There has been a lot going on lately, so don’t be so hard on yourselves. The donuts look delicious! I have a date with my kitchen tomorrow and I can’t wait to start baking again! Have a great weekend ladies.
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Peanut Chocolate Fudge Topping!My Profile

lindsay January 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm

just when i thought you couldn’t get any more creative, you make this. And i am so glad you proved me wrong. Yes! Love the frosting!!
lindsay recently posted..Hey Ho, Hike, and Whoa..My Profile

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

haha thanks Lindsay!

Nora @ Natural Noshing January 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm

These donuts look SO delicious! I need to buy some lucuma, yall always use it in your recipes so it must me a keeper! :) gorgeous photos too!
Nora @ Natural Noshing recently posted..Saag PaneerMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm

thanks Nora, there is just something about the flavor of lucuma that we just love!

Karen January 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi… These look delicious! Can I find hazelnut flour and lucuma st whole foods?

Lori and Michelle January 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Karen not sure possibly, they are starting to offer more and more things lately. if not almond meal would be fine, or you can make your own hazelnut flour in blender or food processor from whole hazelnuts.

Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb January 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Your recipes look so yummy! Gotta try some =)
Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb recently posted..You’re This. I’m That. What’s The Big Deal?My Profile

Elizabeth Jarrard January 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

YUM!!! we were on the same tahini thought train today!
Elizabeth Jarrard recently posted..Healthy Teff Breakfast with Recipe ReduxMy Profile

elise January 21, 2012 at 7:00 pm

whoa does this ever look good. yummmm. i need to find cardamom bc every since i had your biscotti i crave it so much.
elise recently posted..Slow cooker trickMy Profile

Gena January 22, 2012 at 6:50 am

I am in love with this tahini and lucuma frosting idea, as they’re two of my all time favorite ingredients. Great, great recipe!
Gena recently posted..Easy Chocolate Chia Crumble ToppingMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 6:53 am

thanks Gena! we love those two ingredients as well!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

I adore tahini, especially lately! And this looks wonderful, I can’t wait to try and am seriously considering a donut maker for it! :-)
Christine (The Raw Project) recently posted..Tahini Tempeh Stir FryMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 10:11 am

yay Christine!!! you will love making donuts

Kerry January 22, 2012 at 11:02 am

Your donuts look wonderful! I can’t wait to try these, and and the vanilla cardamom version too. I already have a regular donut pan, but after seeing these I really want a mini donut maker! The minis look like just the right size, and I can’t believe how quick they are to make!

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

Kerry yes we are loving the mini donuts over the regular ones! a lot easier to make

Hannah January 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Would it be terrible if I used that lucuma frosting as a dip for apples? It just sounds amazing by itself, no donuts needed! Although, I’m sure they wouldn’t be such a bad addition… ;)
Hannah recently posted..The Kale ConundrumMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Hannah oh yes the dip is great as is, and with apples would be wonderful!!

Heathy January 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Oh yummmy!!! Will be pulling put the donut pan soon and trying your donuts!
Heathy recently posted..Raw Vegan BBQ Wraps and ChocolateMy Profile

Lori and Michelle January 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Heathy – xoxo we got another donut recipe coming Friday! ;)

Neelee January 31, 2012 at 8:39 pm

any idea on the nutrition info for these?

Lori and Michelle February 1, 2012 at 7:53 am

Neelee sorry we do not . but they are made with wholesome ingredients.

katie February 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

these look wonderful! soooo cute! :)

Stephanie March 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Made it!!! (and enjoying at this moment). I made 6 muffin “tops” (more like bottoms) from the recipe, and I just did not make the frosting. Still, it tastes amazing!! I actually tried cardamom for the first time and I think I’m liking its interesting flavor! Your recipes always rock :D
Stephanie recently posted..(last night’s) Dinner:
chicken and mushroom stew (huge…
My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm

awesome Stephani!!! oh yes once you have cardamom you will keep it coming for more.

Laura March 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Wow these look yummy! Where can I get a mini doughnut maker?

Lori and Michelle March 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Laura we got ours at target :)

Sam August 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

Is there any way some chocolate protein powder (whey…i have both 100% iso and a blend of iso and concentrate) could be added to the mix? Or using one of your protein muffins or pancake/waffle recipes with a donut maker? I bought one recently and I want to do some baking before I head up to the cottage!

Lori and Michelle August 29, 2012 at 5:40 am

Sam yes we have done our protein muffin as a donut and it came out.