update on face -acne issues and diet

by Lori and Michelle on February 9, 2012

hello friends,

today is an update on our skin issues with acne . how Michelle and I have been dealing with it all and the diet changes we have made to help with our skin issues. again this is a tough post for me (Lori) to do but I what to show everyone that I am not perfect and my journey to clear skin is going to be a long one but I will get there.

we did want to quickly touch on some other areas that could cause acne that we have noticed from personal experience. hopefully one of these ideas might shed some light on those suffering from skin – acne issues as well.

below are some other things we looked into as we are healing our skin. as we have mentioned before there are many causes of acne and everyone will get different results from this and that. we just want to share what we have found and learned from our personal experience.

other areas we have been focusing on that we have learned can help with acne and hormones:

• digestion – been taking digestive enzyme supplement before each meal. when we remember take apple cider vinegar water before eating to help with digestion as well.
    • other supplements- zinc to help with acne and most recently Ashwagandha and Dong Quai for hormones and stress (just started doing this). also taking Aloe Vera juice about 2oz a day when we remember.
    • liver – drinking lemon water to cleanse the liver each morning and taking liver supplements to help support the liver. brand we are taking is the Pure Encapsulations Liver G.I. detox and Nature’s Way Artichoke pills.
    • water – try our best to always get around 8 cups of water a day, sometimes it is a little less and sometimes it is a little more. we also put MSM powder into our water.
    • stress – take Holy Basil supplement to help, and try to do yoga a few times a week and learn to take more deep breaths when feeling stressed. this is the area where I still struggle with.
    • sleep – try to get good nights of sleep, try to go to bed at a decent time and put a clean towel on pillows (most nights).
    • Omegas – still taking Udo Oil once a day, hemp oil once a day, and now Fish Oil once a day to help with Omega 3 intake (this amount does vary, but I aim for this)

here are some pictures of my troubled skin from a few weeks ago – there is slight improvements from my first time posting picturesstill more to go.

acne skinmy face about 3 weeks ago

close up of acneabout a week ago

my acne skin progressalmost there but still getting a few pimples

changes in our diet:

• went grain free and sugar free (no fruit just stevia for sweetness)
  • drinking lemon warm water first thing in the morning to help liver
  • drink fresh veggies juice most mornings and make pulp crackers for the fiber
  • drink about 7-8 cups of water a day
  • drink a green smoothie that is avocado based each day
  • have eggs, veggies, lettuce and sweet potatoes or butternut squash after workouts
  • have Vega protein powder  or hemp protein once
  • healthy fats and Omega sources we are eating are avocado, hemp seeds, tahini, Udo Oil, Fish Oil, and chia seeds
  • having fish a few times a week
  • enjoy raw cacao occasionally (in a form of a new recipe that we plan to share next week)
  • eating lots of dark leafy greens in smoothies and salads
  • and only having raw or steamed veggies
  • having no heated oils
  • having no legumes or any grains of any sorts
  • no sunflower or pumpkin seeds (or very little)
  • very little to no nuts (mainly only having hazelnuts from time to time)
  • one cup coffee once a day
  • enjoy fermented foods all day long from sauerkraut, fermented veggies, kombucha, and goat yogurt from time to time
  • little to no wine

so to sum it up quickly we are mostly eating dark leafy greens and veggies and healthy fats

no we are not 100% perfect at this as we still try to enjoy life. but I (Lori) feel my body is still trying to tell me something. maybe it is still all stress and hormone related but then again maybe it is more then that.

that is what I hope to discover here soon.

we have also put together a video of us giving our update on our skin (sorry I get a little emotional but I try to hold it together as this is still very difficult for me to talk about without getting too emotional)

now again remember Michelle and I made these changes to help with our acne and skin issues. we will share more on why we also made some of these diet changes next week that is geared more towards our physical appearance of our bodies. today we just wanted to share what we have been doing and an update on the progress of our acne. ** again please consult your own doctor before making any major change with your diet.

as you can tell I still have a long journey ahead of me. like I mentioned in the video I got some blood work done and hope to have those results next week. I will give more details on that when I get the results. healing my skin is still very hard for me but I am hanging in there. I appreciate everyone’s support. thank you!

Lori

Rachel February 9, 2012 at 6:22 am

Have you ever looked into getting tested for parasites or even the possibility of Lyme Disease? I have had very similar issues as you (with my skin, disgestion, etc.), In addition to my face, I also have skin issues on my chest, upper and lower back. After several doctors (and several years), all symptoms pointed to (and were confirmed with tests) intestinal parasites and now, potentially Lyme Disease. I think the hardest part was finding a good doctor – one that looked outside the box so to speak.

Maria@healthydiaries February 9, 2012 at 6:32 am

I know the heartache Lori! Your doing great, and just keep doing what your doing :-)

Even though I didn’t believe it for the longest time, I think stress had a HUGE impact on my breakouts. I am such a worrywart and think I was at my worst this past year. After a year of all the stress and anxiety my skin was at it’s worse. I think with the help from my homeopathic doctor and trying not to stress, it has helped a lot. I still get some breakouts, but I’m guessing its still from the stress. Ashwangada is one of the supplements I am on from my Dr. Do you take it in liquid form? I know it works much better than the pill.

Hang in there! XOXO

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous February 9, 2012 at 6:45 am

I just wanted to say how wonderful I think it is that you are sharing your journey with your health issues. So many people suffer from acne and seeing your pretty faces and how you are tackling your problem is so encouraging!
Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous recently posted..Toxic Thursday-Toxins in Water IIIMy Profile

Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb February 9, 2012 at 6:53 am

So happy to hear that you are making progress!
Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb recently posted..What Are You Doing This Saturday?My Profile

katie @KatieDid February 9, 2012 at 8:07 am

you’re very brave for sharing, Lori :) I’m glad you’re still plugging away at it and hopefully finding things that work for you.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Eleven.My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

Rachel I have not thought about that, thank you for sharing. Yes finding a good doctor is hard but worth it

Lori and Michelle February 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

Maria thank you!! together we will fight stress ;)

Kristin February 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

Hi ladies!
Have you ever heard of Maximized Living? About 5 months ago I started working in an ML office and have learned SOO much about health and healing. I eat a mostly grain free, sugar free diet now and do a lot of high intensity interval training and also have learned a ton about toxins. The biggest thing I’ve learned about is the importance of the nervous system (it tells everything in your body what to do!!!) so making sure that your spine is in proper alignment so your brain can communicate with your body is HUGE! I would highly recommend checking out an ML office. They teach 5 essentials of health 1) Max Mind 2) Corrective Spinal Care 3) Nutrition 4) Exercise 5) Detox. So much of it lines up with what you talk about on your blog which is why I love reading all your posts! This is the address of one of the offices in Charlotte I would recommend.
Family Healing Chiropractic
Dr. Marc Surprenant
Phone : (704) 540-0055
7245 Pineville-Matthews
Charlotte, NC US 28226
Let me know if you check it out!

Lori and Michelle February 9, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thank you Kristin for sharing this with us. We have not heard of this place. We will check it out thanks.

Lauren February 9, 2012 at 10:57 am

Have you tried the supplement Dim-D? I have had BAD acne(was even on accutane). I currently follow your regimen and take the supplement Dim-D (it lowers estrogen and helps to balance our hormones). I kid you not, I don’t have one pimple on my face and everyone keeps commenting on my ‘glow’…I have never experienced this since the age of 10:)

Here’s an article on it: http://www.naturodoc.com/library/hormones/diindolymethane.htm

I also follow every gym workout in the sauna which really helps to detoxify.

You look great! hopefully this helps you even further:)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thanks for being so courageous and sharing this. I never had really bad acne but I had persistent acne on my left cheek in particular, when I was 19. I had to go on Accutane to get rid of it, as no other drugs worked (this was before I was really ‘into’ or aware of natural alternatives so I was very trusting of doctors. I may have approached it differently then knowing what I know but that was 7 years ago!). It did get rid of it and kept any acne away for a good year or two after I finished the treatment but it was a tough treatment to undergo – it’s like your body getting tons and tons of Vitamin A that it doesn’t need – everything gets dry, lips, skin, eyes…

I just did the Wild Rose detox which focuses on putting your body in a more alkaline than acidic state. Maybe it was the alkalinity of my body or maybe it was the herbal mixtures the detox contained but it was just 12 days and my skin broke out worse than ever by day 4-5 and then got so much better by the end! It was amazing!

Mallika Iyer February 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

Great blog you guys!
I feel for you – i have been there – my 2 cents however don’t revolve around eating (you guys have that part covered!)
1. Have you ever tried using pure sandalwood on the areas of acne – it is known to be a great cooler to the skin and dries the pimple while minimizing the scar – again this is sandalwood not sandalwood oil.
2. Have you tried dotting calamine lotion on it – it again very gradually reduces the acne and the scar as well.

barb February 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

Have you checked out borage oil yet? Its known as the ‘beautiful skin’ oil. I recently saw a naturopath on TV who mentioned this when the interviewer commented on her beautiful skin. She said borage oil is the secret. It’s actually GLAs (gamma linoleic acids) that do it. Evening Primrose Oil is popular, but its GLA content is low. Borage oil has high GLA. I see my tablet has 240 mg per tablet. Anyway, research Borage Oil and see what you think.

Alison February 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Hey Girls!
I just want to say how you both are so brave for doing this, and I admire what you girls are doing. I have to say that I can relate to what you girls are going through. A couple years ago I would get facials 2 x a month and didn’t understand why I was still breaking out. I would get microdermabrasion and face peels just to try to clear my skin but I was still breaking out. So I slowly cut out things from my diet, first dairy, then refined carbs, all the way up to eating Raw Vegan. But I still had acne, maybe because I was detoxing but I was just so uncomfortable with my skin. I wouldn’t talk to people, I wouldn’t leave the house, I wouldn’t even face my own family members or my boyfriend. I was so embarrased and didn’t understand why I keep getting flare ups if I ate so healthy. I tried the candida cleanse and I guess it helped a little, but I couldn’t eat like that forever. So I went to my mom and she was so fed up with my lack of self confidence due to my skin so I tried so many products that doctors provide, such as the Obagi system, but that made my face even redder for 3-6 months. I didn’t want to have a peeling red face for a long time even though it did help alot. It was harsh at first but it did take away some of the cystic acne. Then I stopped that because my face felt so raw. But then my mom, who is Filipino, was talking to her friend from the Phillippines and told her all the actresses there use this stuff called Cosmelan, which was made in spain. My acne was starting to come back since I stopped the Obaji routine, so I told my mom I would go for it. But at this time I was eating high raw and only used organic products for my face and body. I was a little hesistant but I read some information on it that it doesn’t use the toxic substances like hydraquinone, but used a natural acid called kojic acid. So I got it and used it, which is only a mask for 8 hrs then after the mask you wash it off and for only 4-5 days you face gets a little red then you see your pimples heal and peel. To be honest I didn’t think it was going to work, I thought it was just another face peel or stupid treatment, but it worked. I had so many people complement my skin and ask what I use and then they end up using it and loving it too. I don’t break out expect for when I eat a little too much chocolate or nuts, but I went to a more paleo style eating these days. I only use the comelan cream maybe 1 x a week, but daily I use all the natural products from jurlique, boscia, and korres products and don’t have to go back to using the harsh products anymore. I love my skin now, and I don’t have to worry about it. I let my skin rule my life and now I don’t have to. In my opinion, you girls eat so clean and I think it is stressing your body out so much more with trying to find the best supplements to take. Believe me!!! I was on holy basil tea, with trichala, and other herbs, I drank aloe every morning, and had Barlene’s fish oil, then multi vitamin and green powders. I had colonics 1-2 x a week, to make sure I cleansed. I take my probiotic in the morning and I drank lemon water. It gets a little stressful sometimes, but I think your girls just need a little harsher but more natural topical routine for a month or so then you can go back to all of the natural products like I did. Your eating so clean, that I think it isn’t your diet anymore. But I had to share my story because I know what you girls are going through. And I know the wedding is coming up soon, and I can’t imagine how much more stress that puts on you. I hope everything works for you two because you both deserve it!

Teresa February 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi Ladies- have you tried any steam facials? I have really small pores and I don’t know if that has anything to do with my breakouts but since I have done weekly to bi weekly steam facials I noticed my skin staying clearer. After cleansing my face I get a pot of water on the stove with fresh herbs like rosemary, chamomile and parsley and when it steams put a towel over your head over the pot- not too close though- no steam burns allowed. It just seems to work for me to open my pores up so they can get all the junk out.

Meg February 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I’m so sorry you’re struggling. You both are such lovely ladies – with or without the acne, but I know you can beat it!

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hey Loves!!! Ahhh you know I love both for these updates and I feel we’re on this journey together!! I can tell you that the stress and how we see ourselves is a huge culprit too…..poop.

Anyways since omitting ALL things that will spike, sweet potatoes too, my skin is at zero new and my redness has decreased by 80%. This is what I’m doing and it might help:

Washing off makeup at night with olive oil, using a dry cloth to remove the oil and makeup. Then washing with a moisturizing facewash like cetephil {but for dry skin!} and then using a glycolic acid cream. In the morning NO facewash, and that Fusion Beauty Yellow primer for moisturizer. = AMAZING.

Diet – Whey Shake for breakfast with Almond Milk, Spinach and Cinnamon.
Some Goat Yogurt.

Only stevia like you for sweetness…..

Lots of greens, no grains or potatoes, barely any carrots…if any at all….

Lots of nuts actually and seeds, fish oils, eggs, fish, and zinc!! OH! Vit D helps a lot!

I still drink coffee too ;)

Its getting better for us all I feel it my friends!! You both are sooo gorgeous!!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..My Amazing Day Full of Naughty and NiceMy Profile

Jane February 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am so interested in this, and it is so fascinating how our body reacts, and how food etc can have an impact! I know you will keep working on it, thank you for posting the update! I do think some of my issues are stress related, but also food related. After you posted about The Body Deli, I am using some of their products to help too!
Jane recently posted..Caprese SaladMy Profile

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Thanks for being so honest and open about this. You share some great tips! Please continue to share your updates! I’m sorry you’ve been dealing with this, skin issues are the worst! I’ve had lots of skin problems and really appreciate your ideas. I just say thank goodness for make up. :) Best of luck as you find what works and have continued progress!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Favorite ChocolatesMy Profile

jessie ann james February 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm

You guys are so great to listening to your bodies! I admire all your diet changes to make your body happy! Im still trying to figure out my mood changes and bloating. I gave up most gluten products so I’m still searching for something else that is upsetting my system! Keep dong what you do!! I also visited a NAET dr awhile back and he really helped! It was a naturally healing process and he discovered a lot about my hormones that help my body a ton! I can get you more info if you are interested, but no pressure:) I’m sure you get suggestions all the time haha! Thanks again!!
jessie ann james recently posted..Fit Fit Fitness and new recipes you must try!My Profile

Lisa February 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hi Ladies,
Once again, thanks for your candid and honest post and video. I think we may be eating the exact same diet :-)
I have a new tip that I’ve been trying (on top of everything else). I haven’t shared a lot about it yet with anyone because I’m still researching if there are any safety concerns (I’m 99% sure it’s ok, based on research studies I’ve been looking at, but I have one more thing to look into about potential side effects)…
A few years ago, I had a conversation with a 50 year old guy about acne (kind of awkward), and he told me that a few years before, he had tried niacin (higher doses) to cure his acne, and it worked. The catch is, that you have to use the regular niacin, not the no-flush kind. The no-flush kind won’t work. Niacin (flush) causes your capillaries to open and the skin turns red, hot, and prickly for a period of time… it’s actually having a detox effect too, but one of the effects is “curing” acne. (another is flushing marijuana out of the system in case of needing a drug test. lol)
I never tried it when he told me about it—I was doing other things, and just kind of forgot till recently. Then I read a lot about it and watched some youtube videos and decided to try it since I had an annoying breakout going on. I have to admit…I love the flush feeling—it feels … productive or something. I also watched a video that said taking flush niacin, exercising for 30 min, and then going in the infrared sauna (for 30 days) will detox all the crappy stuff that’s stored in fat cells (like fluoride and mercury). Since those toxins can be hormone imbalancing and acne causing, I thought it might be worth a try.
Anyway, I haven’t done it long enough to know if it’s going to help enough…but I’ll keep you posted (I’ve done it 3 times, only once with the exercise and sauna included). My skin is better…but I think I need to do it for longer to see.
My goal is perfect skin!
Lisa recently posted..Pizza Flavored Kale Chips, 2nd edition (with hemp seeds)My Profile

Lisa February 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

…and so now I just read that the no-flush version will work…so who knows! But anyway, niacin may be something to look into :-)

ChenaRaw February 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Your video made me cry. I have stuggled with eruptive cystic acne for ten or so years. Diet makes a huge impact. I now rarely have breakouts on my face and the breakouts on my chest and back have lessened; however I still get them. I’ve had people come up to me and ask things like, “What did you do?” or “How come your skin does that?” – the only answer is I don’t know! I’m doing the best I can! I’ve been to a number of doctors, both conventional and naturopathic and have yet to find a complete solution. It gets worse around my period and when I’m stressed. I like Lauren’s comment, although I eat tons of kale, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage, I might give DIM-D a try. Something that just occurred to me as I was typing this- since I know stress is something that triggers my breakouts, perhaps I should try meditation and see if it helps.

Heather @ For the Love of Kale February 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hi ladies!

Oh. My. Goodness. You two are so brave, honest and amazing. I admire you so much for sharing your journey. I don’t have words of wisdom to offer but I do have lots of love and prayer to send your way. Love you, girls! :-)
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..My Conversation with Two StrangersMy Profile

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) February 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for sharing Lori, what a beautiful post. I found my skin cleared up alot after I decided to give up sugar, so I think you are definitely on the right track there. I have have a series of posts that discuss how to give up sugar, if you are trying to heal your skin, have better digestion and more energy you may find them valuable http://livehealthysimply.com/2012/02/sugar-tax/
Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) recently posted..Here’s a Quick Way to Buy Healthy GroceriesMy Profile

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail February 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Such an informative and brave post. thanks for sharing! I still struggle with my skin and I’m in my 30′s–will take your tips to heart. wishing you continued progress!
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..How to Become A Certified TrainerMy Profile

VeganChic February 9, 2012 at 6:15 pm

The DIM works by helping to balance the good and the bad estrogens. If your estradiol is low, then the testosterone, androgens will be too high for you estrogen level. I would get my hormones checked asap as nearly ALL acne is hormonal…..too high testosterone or too low estradiol. Or your estrone is not half of the estradiol. Get “it’s my ovaries stupid” book. I don’t think it is all your diet or even digestion……it might help but hormonal acne is not going to be cured unless the hormones get balanced. Figure it out now as if your androgens are too high for too long, it causes hair loss.

The Delicate Place February 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm

aw i wish i could give you both a big hug! you girls are so honest & it’s admirable that you share so much of yourselves to educate & receive feedback. i truly hope that they find out some answers with your blood chemistries! my fingers & toes are crossed & btw cutest southern accents! ^_^
The Delicate Place recently posted..multi-national lamb stewMy Profile

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 9, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I never broke out in high school, but in my mid twenties, my face exploded. I must had tried 20 different skin care regimes, shelled out tons of cash over the course of 3-4 years. Finally last year, I started running with a pharmacist, and she suggested that it could be hormonal. If it is hormonal, changing your diet/skin care isn’t going to work. I switched my birth control from ortho tricyclen to Yasmin. My skin cleared up within the 1st two weeks. I don’t know how you guys feel about taking birth control, but it works for me, and I haven’t had any problems with it. It might be worth a try considering your wedding is SO close!!!!!! And don’t feel bad about crying, I had a hard time when my skin looked the way it used to too!! I’m usually not into taking a lot of medication, but it gets to a point where you just want your sanity back, and sometimes that needs to come with a clear face. Vain, but true unfortunately.
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..Hello Triathlon Season 2012My Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I think you two are absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your journey honestly. I know this is so difficult, but you are making progress and you are helping others! Keep up the good work and know that we are here to support you! xoxo
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Workout Overload!My Profile

nicole February 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

All this info can be overwhelming (I know!), but just to throw it out there, what helped me (aside from following a similar diet) is adding Liposomal Glutathione and Liposomal Vit C to water daily. It can help open the detox pathways, especially if you can take baths with salt/clay or sauna.

Keep us posted – Wishing you all the best :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Again, thank you for being so vulnerable!! Praying for you, Lori!!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..thursday’s theme – love is in the airMy Profile

lindsay February 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm

little to no wine? so soad, jk. I am glad it’s helping friend!
lindsay recently posted..30 minute Thursday: 10’s and PinsMy Profile

Tatyana February 10, 2012 at 12:12 am

I really enjoy reading your blog and am very thankful for all the useful information you guys share. I myself struggle with acne, and while being on BC it seemed to get a lot less of a problem. Once I decided that I did not want to be on hormones anymore, my skin simply exploded and it also looked like the quality of my skin itself got worst. I am trying to take better care of myself, and you guys encourage me to be patient. One thing I waned to ask is if you guys tried retinol or its derivatives to help with your acne. I had really good results with Atralin, a vitamin A derivative, but currently I just cannot afford a $200 tube of cream. I am using a generic brand right now, but for whatever reason it is not as effective. According to my doctor the formulation does make a difference in this case. I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on that. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story!
Tatyana recently posted..Day 28-30 of Bodyrocking!!!My Profile

Ela February 10, 2012 at 12:45 am

You are so awesome and brave! I’m glad you’re tirelessly working to get to the bottom of this, and taking good care of yourself. The way of eating you describe can be very delicious.

One small thing from my own experience: I know ashwagandha is supposed to be an adaptogen, but it sends my anxiety through the roof! I really can’t handle it at all. I know my brain chemistry and adrenals are kinda wacko though, and if you can handle coffee, maybe it’ll work well for you.

I’m in awe of how beautifully you present yourselves in the video.

Please continue keeping us posted, and know you have so much admiration from me.
Ela recently posted..Kokopelli on the Water, Eagle in the TreeMy Profile

Lolita @ Peace, Love and Greens February 10, 2012 at 1:12 am

Hi Michelle & Lori, thank you for sharing another brave post on a difficult topic. It is so difficult when it comes to one’s skin as it seems there are so many variables and possible factors that determine it, making it so difficult to work out root causes. I too am having issues and the worst thing is the scarring for me. I really admire your positive attitude and perseverance with this. I know you will both achieve the glowing skin that two such glowing girls deserve. Keep on going and good luck.
Lolita @ Peace, Love and Greens recently posted..Yoghurt Goes Raw VeganMy Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! February 10, 2012 at 2:49 am

Wow, you have no idea how much I admire you for posting about this! This past semester I got really bad acne for the first time in my life (at 21) and there were days I did not even want to leave the house. It’s also the reason I rarely have pictures of myself on my blog. It is much better now, as for the moment I conceded to using some topical prescription products – but I refuse to take antibiotics. I don’t want to be using these chemical-y things forever, but for the moment I feel much better with a clearer face.
Also – Jane Iredale makeup is the best thing in the world.
One day, I would love to try this type of higher protein, grain free diet. At the moment, though, it is hard to do in Sweden – the only leafy green I can find here is spinach, and other health food items are incredibly expensive. I tell myself that I have time, and one day I will figure out my skin.
You ladies seem well on your way :-) Thanks for posting!
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..Love Your Veg – WIAWMy Profile

Laura February 10, 2012 at 3:34 am

Hello Twins,
Love your website and WOE (very close to mine). I think you guys look great! Have you been using any coconut oil? We (my daughters and I) have had some luck with our skin ingesting and using coconut oil and using argan oil topically. WE have different skin issues ranging from acne, dry skin, eczema and roseacea but oils seem to work best for us. I have a question regarding your diet. I also eliminated grains and in most cases, legumes, but I also use Vega and and some other veggie protein powders. These use brown rice protein and some also contain pea protein so I wanted your views on this. ( I can not eat soy)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 10, 2012 at 4:21 am

You girls are so awesome. Thank you for sharing your struggles with us. I’m sending you lots of love. You’re doing everything you possibly can and something will work! You will look beautiful for your wedding, no matter what!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Positive Self Talk: What are YOU Proud of?My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 10, 2012 at 5:07 am

Tatyana yes Michelle was on some strong face creams and pills about 2 years ago for her face. and really did not see any improvement, so she stopped taking them. i have not tried anything prescription based or anything. trying to do in naturally and heal from the inside. hope your skin journey gets better. hugs

Raechel @ the rebel grrl kitchen February 10, 2012 at 7:35 am

Good luck, ladies. Thinking of you both and wishing you the best!
Raechel @ the rebel grrl kitchen recently posted..Friday Five!My Profile

Jessy (squeezetheday) February 10, 2012 at 11:23 am

No fruit? How come?

Lori and Michelle February 10, 2012 at 11:29 am

We are trying to eat little to no sugar to calm down face we will eventually add fruit back in.

Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker February 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hang in there, Lori! Stay strong! I know how tough it is… but that positive attitude you have is key! And Michelle: so happy your skin has improved as much as it is! Sending you both my love and good energy :)
xo
Desi
Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker recently posted..Creamy Seaweed SaladMy Profile

Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker February 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Also, just a thought: You might want to try eliminating starchy vegetables too like butternut squash and sweet potato. When I went grain/sugar/legume free, my naturopath had me off those starchy veggies too because the body registers them similarly to grains – high carb and sugary! Just wanted to mention that in case it is something you haven’t considered yet! :)
Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker recently posted..Creamy Seaweed SaladMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Desi thank you! no we have not thought about those starchy vegetables, thank you.

Deana February 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Lori and Michelle,
I didn’t know about the skin issues. This is my first video to watch, and I think you are very brave to share.
From my days working at Earth Fare in Raleigh, I used to sell a product called Clearin by Vaxa. http://www.vaxa.com/623.cfm. This is a homeopathic remedy with a 30 day money back guarantee. I had one woman who said she had spent thousands of dollars on everything for her teenage son, but this product was the only thing that helped. She bought 2 bottles at a time. Many customers came back and said it worked for them. We even had dvds that we gave out for people to learn about the Vaxa products. You may want to give it a try.

I know that many people are giving many suggestions, but if it offers a guarantee, why not?

I personally have had great success with NAET for elimination of allergies, and you may want to check that out.

Good luck to you, and thanks for all the yummy goodies for my new raw way of eating.

Casey February 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Ladies you are amazing sharing your journey. Lori, I’m seriously cheering you on right now. You are both helping soooo many others with your story. You are courageous, beautiful and big hearted. It shows on the inside and outside.
Love to you both xo
Casey recently posted..I’m Getting Personal + Get Raw Starts Tomorrow!My Profile

Laura February 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Definitely check out vitamin D3! You won’t regret it.

Laura February 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

I am back for some more of your blog and I am so grateful for the information you share with us! Another thing came into my mind. I noticed you use coconut and jojoba oils. They are popular but they gave me cosmetic acne and cysts. I then found many online documents with charts for comedogenic ingredients and the only 3 oils that have a rate of 0 are
hemp
sunflower
castor.
Since switching to these 3, everything has changed for me and I can use them as much as I like. Especially hemp, I really have to recommend it because it immediately takes away all the redness, reduces the pimples overnight and it is highly antibacterial, among many other advantages. I hope it helps!

Ashley Walker February 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Hi Ladies!
I completely feel for you guys because I have had the same experiences. I had Cystic acne for 10 years until about 2 years ago when I discovered the brilliant nutritionist, Kim Snyder. Please check our her blog and buy her book the Beauty Detox Solution http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/. I do not work for Kim and I am not trying to promote her for any monetary purposes, I just have had such a miraculous experience with her concepts that I have to share! Since I started eating the way she explains I haven’t had any acne, just clear skin! Going from at least 7 cystic pimples at a time to none at all is just nuts! Not to mention I’ve lost about 15 pounds and a world of confidence in the last two years!
Her concepts are very similar to how you guys are eating (raw & vegan) but she also talks about the timing of what you eat and how you combine foods. She focuses mostly on digestion. Check it out and let me know what you guys think because she has changed my life.
You two are so brave to put yourselves out here like this, it is very inspiring. This is the first time I’ve seen your blog and I look forward to reading more. Good Luck!

xoxo Ashley

Lori and Michelle February 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Ashley thank you for your sweet comment and sharing your story. We are aware of Kim and have read her book (and her blog). That is why this is frustrating because we did raw and vegan foods and did not get results :( but we are slowing finding our answers for clear skin.

Krista March 3, 2012 at 6:31 am

Hi!
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Adult/homonal acne affects more woman than you can imagine. I too have stuggle with it. I have played with my diet and tried just about every product out there. About a year ago I started to do acupuncture. I belive that has really helped. I do follow a very clean diet as well but acupuncture has made a big difference. It really helps with the hormonal balancing. It might be worth a try!

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 10, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’ve actually heard this! I bought some niacin, to try it (because I struggle with adult acne too) and it might have worked, but it made me feel really sick, like upset stomach. I think you probably have to take it with food or something, and maybe I didn’t? I want to try it again but I’m scared to upset my tummy!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..4-Ingredient Cobbler? Seriously? YesMy Profile

Liz March 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Is there a reason you guys switched to the lemon juice instead of the ACV you were drinking??

Lori and Michelle March 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Liz we drink both, we try to have one cup of both a day.

Melanie March 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Hi, I love your site and have followed it for over a year noe. My husband and I switched to a grain free diet last year, it’s a primal/paleo diet. We absolutely love it. I don’t want to be negative, but you seem to keep omitting things out of your diet to feel and look better, when I honestly think you need to put more animal protein in your diet. Grass fed beef and farm raised chicken and pork. Search paleo and acne and you will be amazed at the results people have had by changing their diet. Also, I recommend watching the documentary Fat Head. Even if you don’t want to change your diet google my suggestions just to read the info. I love your blog and your workouts! Because of you two I am a bodyrocker.

Liz March 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm

One more thing: How much ACV and LJ do you use in your drinks?

Marsha April 10, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hi girls! I was looking up info on cystic acne and came across your site. I love all the info on here! I totally understand about your acne problems and how it makes you feel. Looking in the mirror is painful when my skin is breaking out. I’ve been breaking out since the age of 25, I’m 30 now. The one link I noticed with my skin is consuming any soy product gives me cystic acne. I used to drink soy milk, eat non meat products, eat soy protein bars….etc. No more. I still break out here and there but nothing like what it used to be. Also, I use African Black soap to wash my face and I’ve seen a big difference. Amazon has good deals on it if you want to try that. Also try Tea Tree oil.

I got married 7 months ago and my skin wasn’t the best it could be but I’m learning new things everyday to help me get it back to how it should be! Good luck with the wedding plans…enjoy your day, let feeling beautiful start on the inside! :)

Christie April 17, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Hey guys, Big steps in putting yourself out there on the world wide web to help yourself and in turn others, with acne. I have had acne on my face for over 15yrs and I’m now 26yrs of age. I can only assume you have tried everything, as I have. People suggest new foods to try or to omit, new regimes to incorporate, new creams to test all the time over the years, and I took everyone on board. Whether or not these may resonate with you; I have recently sat with my acne issues being a self worth and self esteem thing more than anything else. As a raw vegan, most people say m diet can’t get any cleaner and unless my skin reacts to fruit or veg (possibility tho), I know my acne is not at all diet related. Skin issues are a reflection of the inner system – for some that’s an easy fix adding in healthy bacteria, good fatty acids, omitting dairy, cleansing the bowels, whatever it may be. But for others, that inner system is all emotional. An inner war – self esteem issues, lack of confidence, childhood issues we may be unaware of, continual worry or OCD type behaviours. I’m rambling now, but please feel free to personally email me so we can support one another and see how we go. I recently saw a channeler to ask questions to my angels and guides about my skin, and it was invaluable! Much love, smiles, hugs, and white light to you both. Christie from Oz x

Paul September 3, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi, I hope I’m not repeating, but don’t have the patience to read through all of the posts.

I have horrendous Seb Derm, cystic Acne, and Rosacea since high school. I’m 46 now. Also, I have brutal allergies.

I cannot use cleansers, and cannot rub my skin, yet have loads of dead skin cells that pile up each day. There is nothing I could do supplement wise or diet wise that has ever completely alleviated my skin build up issue, to allow my pores to breath and not break out.

Until now.

OCM or Oil Cleansing Method using “HEMP OIL” just might be my magic bullet and supplementing with HO topically to repair the skin oil barrier and internally to increase the proper essential fatty acid content and ratio.

Here’s why HO might do it for us all. HO has the perfect omega ratio just like our bodies of 3:1 (Omega 6 to 3), so the skin will be less likely to react poorly. It is 0 on the comedogenic table so it will not clog pores. It is high in linoleic acid (essential fatty acid) that our bodies need. That is the good oil that is light and thin that our seb glands should be full of, not oleic acid that is heavy and thick that sticks in our pores, and causes clogs. A Western diet high on processed foods tend to cause that improper balance of oleic fatty acid over linoleic.

By using Hemp Oil on your skin, it should lift up and loosen up the hard dead skin cells that have accumulated in our pores. All you would then have to do is rinse or wipe very light away with a soft cloth.

I feel I am very deficient in linoleic acid, so supplementing heavily with HO internally and externally just might be the ticket to curing or at least life long containment.

Cleansing wise, oil in chemistry is what is used to properly loosen and cleans away oil, in particual hardened and sebum. You can google OCM, but quickly, just pour some cold pressed, organic HO in your palm, massage it into your facial skin for a couple minutes or however long you feel is best for your skin. You need to feel the oil loosening up the debris from your pores (plugs). Once you feel all of the debris coming out, take a soft wash cloth and hold under hot water. Place the hot cloth on your face until it cools, then repeat 2-4 more times or until you feel the oil is gone. Then simply rinse with cool water to close your pores and that is it.

If you feel your skin is too tight or dry after, you can rub a small amt of HO back into your skin either over wet skin or dry, your choice. I choose not too put anything back on to allow my skin to breath completely for a while.

This is the only cleansing method that has worked. Cleansers only strip our skin and cause our skin to produce more sebum (the bad kind), which hardens, clogs pores, and cause irritation. We also lose our protective barrier.

Also, I purchased a vitamix blender and I’m getting loads of fresh veggies and fruits each day now. I’m too lazy to eat them, so blending into smoothies has been so easy and quick. I recommend getting a vitamix if you can afford it, it’s a great investment that is easy to clean, only have to pour the contents into another container to store in the fridge, then rinse the blender in seconds, not even any wiping needed.

Please give it a try. I want you to be happy like I’m finally feeling after so many depressing years.

Lastly, I had a huge deep acne cyst, the kind that is so painful that just started before putting on the HO and doing OCM. Not only has it not come out, it has basically shrunk do nothing. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, so more proof of the good benefits of HO.

Blessings
Paul from Los Angeles, Ca, USA

Jenn March 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Green pastured fermented cod liver oil!!!!

Deby June 4, 2013 at 1:19 am

Thank you so much for the info. I’ve just started going sugar free like since yesterday – still trying to wean myself off it. Hope ur doing great. I’m motivated!!

Paige November 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm

This is what is working for me…the paleo diet minus the fruit…you probably have a candida problem and the paleo diet minus fruit will fix that problem and balance your blood sugar levels…don’t drink coffee and don’t have sweet potatoes..any kind of sugar even from sweet potatoes and carrots can feed candida and contribute to inflammation and acne…just eat meats, eggs, non starchy vegetables and good fats from nuts, seeds, avacados and your skin will get better…trust me I tried being raw and it made my skin worse…u need to eat meat…also what are u using on your face..stop using everything and just wash your face with warm water..if you have foundation on use apricot seed oil to remove it and wash your face with warm water…this is what has cleared my skin…I tried for years numerous things…and this is the only thing that worked…I hope and I think it will work for u too..other people have got rid of their acne by doing the paleo diet as well, good luck :)

Abbey July 11, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hiya! I know how hard it is to suffer with acne. A lot of people say, oh its just your skin or, itll go away with time etc, but it is actually a lot harder than people make it out to be. I was wondering if you guys ate meat? I heard that people who have given up meat, who have had acne, have had really good results! Apparently its due to your body being over acidic from meat consumption. Have you ever looked into ph levels and how it affects skin?
I’ve had to rely on the contraceptive pill to keep my acne at bay but I have now been off it for a week, plus I have I gone meat free, and I can honestly say I haven’t had one new pimple! (I use to get at least 3 new ones everyday). You could always give it a shot, if you do eat meat. You have nothing to lose! Plus your skin is looking great!