another cookie cake recipe

by Lori and Michelle on February 17, 2012

hello friends!

first we want to say hello new readers!!  welcome to the crazy, fun, unpredictable, always changing blog run by us, lori and michelle. please chat with us on twitter or facebook. or check our our fun boards or videos (we got more coming!)

our parents came for a short visit a few weekends ago and through our Instagram life we highlighted our chocolate chip cookie recipe again, which we enjoyed with the folks.

gluten free buckwheat cookie cake

we did make changes to it. we always like to try our recipes with different flours, etc. so we can report how they do.

we also made the cookie cake low in sugar!

in addition to being low in sugar (the chocolate chips contain sugar) we tried this cake with no oil. if you remember we are trying not to have any heated oils to help with our inflammation and Lori’s skin issues. and for the frosting we whipped up a chocolate avocado creamy frosting again low in sugar. we love using avocados as a base for frosting! it is perfect, always makes such an easy and and super healthy frosting in no time!

chocolate avocado frosting

classy work station, haha check out the sauerkraut fermenting away in the background

here are the changes we made to our original gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookie cake recipe:

• no oil, 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup flax meal (no flax gel)
  • 1 cup buckwheat groats that have been ground into flour
  • 3/4 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
  • 1/3 cup xylitol for the sugar instead of agave and sugar
  • 1-2 cup to 3/4 cup water (or almond milk would work)
  • besides these changes we did everything else the same for the cookie cake recipe from the original

chocolate avocado frosting:

• 1 avocado
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • splash of vanilla
  • a drops of liquid stevia to taste

sorry for the not so great pictures, especially compared to our first time making it.  we took all of these on our iphones at night. and had horrible lighting.

to be honest we were not sure if the recipe would come out,  plus it was a last minute dessert decision. we were not sure if we wanted to share it on the blog, but since we all liked it so much and so many of you wanted to see the recipe. we decided to share despite the horrible pictures.

as you can see everyone seemed to enjoy the buckwheat low sugar cookie cake

the cake itself has some texture due to the buckwheat and almonds since we did not use flours. and it is not sweet! the frosting is the key to completing the cake. you can use any frosting you prefer, just for us

the highlight was this smooth creamy avocado frosting —> luv our healthy fats

there were some leftovers that Lori and I happily enjoyed the next day (side note: this is the one time we had grains in a few weeks, we are still trying to eat as grain free as we can, but not stressing if we have some. going with the flow of life)

even had some of the cookie cake as a pre-workout snack

cookies for a pre-workout snack

not our average pre-workout snack, but it was fun. plus it was that good.

loved every bite of this cookie cake. especially with that frosting!

Twins Question: Does anyone have fun plans this weekend? Anyone else like using avocados for frosting? What is your go to frosting?

well we got a busy day today. off to the doctors as some Lori’s blood work is back, so hopefully some answers for her skin.

Have a great Friday!

L&M

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

It still looks ridiculously amazing, though, girls…even if the photos are from the iphone!!

My go-to frosting? hmmm….Mostly I like my peanut butter frosting. Which is super easy-milk and peanut butter fluffed up!!! Or coconut cream frosting (coconut in fridge over night and whipped with spices)
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Cookie Carnival Comes to TownMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

Thanks Alex! thank goodness for iphones ;)

Mariel February 17, 2012 at 7:37 am

love this! I can’t blame you for having some before your workout! :D
avocados definitely make a great frosting consistency. love it!
Mariel recently posted..‘I love you’ chocolate heart cakeMy Profile

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan February 17, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m working on inflammation too, so I hear ya. Coconut oil isn’t damaged at all by high temps, so it’d be safe to use in this cake! Plus, coconut is great for inflammation anyway. :) BUT, it looks like it turned out beautifully with no oil at all! Good to know it works with xylitol, and love the avocado frosting too. <3
Amber Shea @Almost Vegan recently posted..Romantic dinner at Blue Bird BistroMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 10:34 am

Amber, yes we know coconut oil is okay heated. But we even noticed reacting to it. So we just enjoy it raw, not cooked.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance February 17, 2012 at 8:28 am

Hey– there’s no such thing as too many varieties of cookie cake 8) Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Slowing Down A Fast-Paced MindMy Profile

katie @KatieDid February 17, 2012 at 8:48 am

looks so decadent girls! love lower sugar desserts too because you can eat tons more without feeling sick. Nothing too crazy this weekend except hopefully lots of outdoor adventures with this mild weather I’m loving!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..A New Kind of Green SmoothieMy Profile

Lauren February 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

This is great. thanks for sharing guys! About ‘living life’….i love to live a vegan, clean grainfree lifestyle..but i can’t help but get slight anxiety when going to parties, my parents house or vacation with friends who think my lifestyle is ‘annoying’. i try to pack meals, but at the same time, you don’t want to look weird and anti social. if it’s someone’s birthday, should i feel guilty about breaking my lifestyle to have a piece of sugary cake with sugary frosting? eating out is almost easier becuase you can tell the chef what to make, but when dining at a friend’s house or parent’s house it’s diferent and insulting almost. Any suggestions on easing my worries?

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

Lauren great questions. we used to struggle with this anxiety really bad about 2 years ago. and over the years we have slowly gained the attitude of who cares. this is my body. my health. my choice. and if they are true friends they should support me. but it is still hard. our family used to joke about the way we eat all the time. but over time they are starting to enjoy everything we enjoy. do not be so hard on yourself. let yourself a break now and then if it means to be more social. we all have to find what is most comfortable for us. we know some vegans who would never think of taking a break for social reason, which there is nothing wrong with that. but as we mentioned, everyone is different with different levels “of play” when it comes to diet. we sometimes find ourselves going off course to be more social. we just live in the moment. and start fresh the next day. remember you are still a great person, even if you have a little sugary cake. we hope this helps. we know having anxiety about eating is not fun. HUGS

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

Mmmmm those bites so look good! Especially the thick layer of cocoa avocado cream. It’s a must!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..my pregnancy: week 25My Profile

Kilee February 17, 2012 at 10:52 am

Yum! I also love experimenting with new gluten-free flours and sweets recipes. I hope you two have a fun weekend!

Gillian February 17, 2012 at 11:15 am

Can I just move in with you guys so I can eat like this all of the time? :)
Gillian recently posted..The Girl Who Ate EverythingMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm

YES!!! xoxo

Lisa February 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

This sounds and looks great!
I’m a fan of using avocados for pretty much anything possible!
No big plans this weekend–I’m looking forward to relaxing….
Lisa recently posted..Two Days of the Elimination Diet – What I AteMy Profile

Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 17, 2012 at 11:46 am

um, yum. I am a total sucker for anything frosted.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Family Cat Gets StuffedMy Profile

Andrea February 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’ve been meaning to try avocado frosting but haven’t done so yet. Yours looks delish, especially in that last photo! I think I’ll try it :-)

Erica February 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

It seriously looks SO perfect! Again…on my to make list and I can’t wait!
Erica recently posted..Peanut Noodles & 11 ThingsMy Profile

Ela February 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Those photos look great! And I like the sound of the cookie cake even better this way! Remember I’d never heard of one before you shared. I’d use quinoa or amaranth instead of buckwheat because of my tummy, but otherwise can’t wait to make time to try this!

This Sunday’s the memorial for our friend’s son, and Sat evening there’s a variety show in town and I’m doing a couple poems–busy w/e!

Excited for Lori’s bloodwork–hope you learn something useful.
Ela recently posted..Belated Valentine’s Mint Chocolates, Out of the WoodworkMy Profile

Amanda February 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Um. Droolworthy x 10! That’s just like my go to frosting…
I’m sometimes even guilty of whipping up some warm coconut oil, avocado, carob, and stevia
as a little treat sometimes.. :)
You gals are fabulous!
Amanda recently posted..Feb 17, MotivationMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Dang that looks good! I use peanut flour and cocoa powder for my chocolate frosting. It’s incredibly rich and creamy. Have a great weekend ladies!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..11 Random Things Times 2My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm

thanks Sarena you too! and that does sounds rich and tasty YUM

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I love when a dessert is healthy enough to be a breakfast as well.

kate February 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm

omg that looks SO good….love using avocados as a frosting or mousse base! so good!
kate recently posted..6 Mile Training Run and OMG You Must Make This STAT!My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm

glad to hear it Kate, yay for avocado love!

Guia February 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm

OMG.. That is so yummy! The looks of it makes me crave for that.. I am drooling now.. I will definitely this out.. That for sharing!
Guia recently posted..http://www.flatratemovers.comMy Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 17, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thank you thank you girls!! I can make this and dive right into it!! YAY!!! this looks amazingly delicious and healthy!!

Ok, please keep me updated on Lori’s blood work, lol! I would love to know ;)

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Grain Free Three Bite Peppermint BrowniesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 17, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Kris! Will do.

Samantha February 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm

YES! Avocado frosting is the best on brownies!!!
Samantha recently posted..The World’s Greatest Black Bean BurgerMy Profile

Heathy February 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

This cake is still on my “to do” list! I will definitely be making it when I get home – mark my words! :)

Looking forward to hearing Lori’s blood results!

Heathy recently posted..Another Adventure BeginsMy Profile

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 18, 2012 at 5:12 am

i have to add this my list of things to make from your site now! i don’t have xylitol so i’d have to combine old and new. yum! happy weekend girls!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Fitness Friday: Workout at HOME!My Profile

Katie February 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Cookie cake needs to be mine! <3
Katie recently posted..Sold Our Souls to the Whole DevilMy Profile

Meghanne February 20, 2012 at 7:09 am

I just made this cake last night for myself and my man. I added a bit of vanilla stevia to the batter to sweeten it a bit more, doubled the dark choco chips (cause that’s how I roll) and skipped the frosting putting a little dollop of coconut milk ice cream on top. It was amazing. Almost tasted like a healthy version the ‘just add water’ Snackin Cake my mom used to make when I was a kid! Thanks.

Lori and Michelle February 20, 2012 at 8:44 am

Meghanne that sounds amazing!!! YUM so glad you enjoy it!!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

Ooh I’m so glad you made this in a low sugar version! I am in love with the idea of a cookie cake – I have always been way more a cookie person than any other treat…yum!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..BAFTA Awards 2012 FashionMy Profile

Dominika March 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm

quick question, is the buckwheat and almond flour replacing both the gluten-free and coconut flour in the original recipe?

Thanks!

Lori and Michelle March 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Sophie May 21, 2012 at 4:41 am

Waw! Your chocolate chip cookie cake looks just stunning & fabulous & that avocado frosting looks divine & ooh so appetizing!
I am so going to make this stunning treat this afternoon with my new vitamix! I also bought the dry container to grain my own flours! Yeah!
I am a big fan of your tasty blog & recipes! They never fail me! You 2 inspire me all the time! :)
Many greets from a foodie from Belgium! ;)
Sophie recently posted..Home-made Vegan cashew milk in my vitamix & vegan refreshing vanilla cashew & strawberry smoothies!My Profile

Keira September 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Is the 1 cup buckwheat pre-grinding into flour, or is it 1 cup flour after grinding from the raw groats?
Thanks so much!

Steph March 5, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I don’t think buckwheat is a real grain so technically you are still grain-free ;)