the perfect traveling goodies

by Lori and Michelle on February 24, 2012

we are currently working at the Disney Princess Half Marathon with Raw Threads (our older sisters company).

since we were home doing wedding things for Lori, we thought we would stay to help out our sister at this expo.michelle is a veteran since she worked this event last year.

but before we left we made sure we enjoyed some good food and got our workout in.

preworkout meal was some coffee and a new snack bite we are practicing out for our bakery.

did 3 minutes of plank plus a 12 minute interval workout from bodyrock.

holding plank poselove our Gymboss Interval Timer
!

post workout meal. see we told you we love this mix of eggs, spinach, and sweet potato after we work out.

plus a BIG fresh veggie juice

as much as we love fresh juice, we have been enjoying them mainly for the pulp. we have been loving pulp crackers! been mixing them with chia and flax and baking them in the oven. so easy. so good.

then it was time to hit the road. and of course we were prepared.

a cooler full of goodies!

and our favorite Contigo water bottles and green smoothies, which we use old kombucha bottles. this way we can discard them when done instead of having to worry about rinsing mason jars out like we used to.

this smoothie was avocado, collard greens, hemp seeds, parsley, sunflower lecithin, lots of lemon and ginger, and some stevia

these plastic draws are just not the same as our glass straws, but they did the job.

the highlight of our trip was our homemade protein THIN MINTS!!

not sure if you all remember these from last April when we were traveling to the Boston Marathon. but they are a treat we make over and over and over. we just love them. and cannot get enough of them!!

we enjoy them for dessert, for snacks, for pre or post workout…for just about anything.

and yes we plan on sharing the recipe. for a while we were trying to find a way we could sell these in our bakery. the one problem is they are very heat sensitive, so we decided to share this recipe as they are too good not to.

protein thin mints

so please stay tuned for the our protein thin mint recipe

after a fun journey of yummy eats we made it to DISNEY!

and for anyone wondering if Pop Century Resort at Disney offers gluten free food, they do!

the chef was very nice in making 3 salmon platters gluten free. we did not eat the rice as we are still trying to eat grain free, but it was nice to know they had this option!

gluten free dinner at pop century disney hotel

and check out some of our food stash in our hotel room as the rest is in the cooler.

got some of our staples for traveling – Vega protein powders, Artisana tahini and cashew butter, hemp protein, Starbucks via coffee packets, lemon, banana, and few miscellaneous snacks as we do not have any of our Twin Cakes snacks :(

yesterday we spent all day setting up the booth. and now today we are at the Day one of the Disney Princess half marathon expo. wish us luck!

Twins Question: Has anybody ran in the Disney Princess half marathon? Anyone ever ran in any of the Disney racing weekends? What is your favorite race?  Anyone have fun plans this weekend?

L&M

Katie Squires February 24, 2012 at 4:58 am

I love the way you travel! I was pretty proud of myself for making some homemade protein bread to take on a road trip last weekend, but you girls really rock it out! I need to step it up a notch :) These food pictures were YUMMY!
Katie Squires recently posted..Settling into a stretchMy Profile

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 24, 2012 at 4:59 am

As you know, I ran the Disney race last month!! It was by far the best organized and most fun race I have ever ran! Have fun at the expo!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..southwestern smashed sweet potatoesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 24, 2012 at 5:11 am

thanks Chelsey!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 24, 2012 at 5:43 am

have fun, girls!!! good luck!!!! I’ll be in orlando next weekend, so I hope the weather stays nice!
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Flourless Banana BreadMy Profile

katie @KatieDid February 24, 2012 at 7:07 am

man you girls are great planners! I’m lucky if I remember to bring along my water bottle when I travel sometimes haha! I don’t plan as well as you but it’s clearly a smart idea to save money and eat deliciously. It looks like a lot of fun- traveling and working with your sisters, although I’m sure your very tired at this point.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Q & A with Photographer Rocco CovielloMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 24, 2012 at 8:41 am

First time running, I’m so excited! So far, Disney has been AMAZING with gluten free food. They have been asking the chef for personal dishes for me it is so great.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

Y’all are such well-prepared travelers!! Have a great time at the expo!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on FridayMy Profile

Leah February 24, 2012 at 9:33 am

As soon as I saw those thin mints I clicked on the link to your April post because I felt I must get and try that recipe. Finally read the rest of your post and I see you will be offering the recipe soon. Hooray!! My mouth is watering just waiting for the recipe ;) . Thank you in advance for sharing it. Also, I like that you share what snacks you bring on the road because travelling is where my healthy eating sometimes falls apart.

the delicate place February 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

i haven’t raced in a while but i did do 1 HM! IF i ever race again it will be short the 5k! i use the same hemp protein powder! great minds ;)

janetha @ meals & moves February 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

yay, contigo love! been loving your instagram photos, looks like you girls are having a great time!
janetha @ meals & moves recently posted..more random on a thursday.My Profile

Lisa February 24, 2012 at 11:40 am

Have fun!
The green smoothie looks yummy and SO smooth! I do the same thing with kombucha bottles—way easier than washing jars all the time!

I’ve never been to a disney race, but I’ve tried to get Joe to do one so I can go watch (and play!).
Lisa recently posted..Fancy Grilled Cheese on Coconut Flour Flatbread (gluten and grain free)My Profile

LizAshlee February 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

Tasty travel eats!! I am going to try Vega’s new Chocolate powder and Vanilla Chai and see which flavor I like best to determine if I should buy the bigger container. I am going to IIN’s Mega Conference in Long Beach next weekend and I will need some good food to nourish me while I am away from my typical eats!! Happy Friday!
LizAshlee recently posted..Raw Peanut Butter FudgeMy Profile

fartygirl February 24, 2012 at 11:47 am

Love that you gals are eating eggs again! Idk about you, but I feel so much stronger having them now and again. Just got pulp from a pal to make crackers with! Gonna try your recipe, as your cheeze sauce and pesto were fab.

Have a fun weekend! :-)
fartygirl recently posted..Indulgences: A RecapMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Ooh so exciting! I read on Clean Eating Chelsey’s blog that she was super impressed with the g-f options at Disney; I think they’ve really stepped up their food game. And I can’t wait for those recipes!

Plus I think it every time but don’t think I’ve said it yet – I cannot imagine holding plank for 3 minutes. Major props to you!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..Double Chocolate OatmealMy Profile

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

have fun girls! all your snacks look so yummy!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Friday Favs: Deliciousness Pinned from Pinterest!My Profile

Leanne February 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm

What a lovely blog! I think I’ve stumbled upon your blog months ago, but it got out of sight somehow :p I’d love to buy sunflower lecithin! We can’t get it (yet) in Holland… hope to be able to buy it soon.

Lori and Michelle February 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Leanne, we get our sunflower lecithin from Blue Mountain Organics

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Ahhh you’re travel snacks look amazing!! I want that chocolate cookie :) YUM!!!!

I always take nuts with me everywhere I go and bars, but finding low gi grain free bars is a wee bit difficult, isn’t it??

Have fun loves!!
xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Black Forest Cake Muffins {Grain Free & Sugar Free}My Profile

Ela February 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hope you’re having a great trip!

I adore the plank photo. Looking forward to the thin mints too.
Ela recently posted.."Writing" in my Head, "Reading" from Memory; the "Golden Nugget"My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

thanks Ela, it was a funny pic to take ;)

Katie February 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Protein thin mints?!!! How awesome! Can not wait for the recipe!!

Hope you girls enjoy the rest of the weekend there! <3
Katie recently posted..Holla Friday { 5 }My Profile

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable February 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Disney is my dream race! I really want to run it when I have the money and can take some time off work. One of my best friends is running this weekend though so I’m definitely there in spirit :)

lindsay February 25, 2012 at 10:34 am

you ladies are stocked! i love it! you travel so well, healthy, fit, and organized. Best of luck at the expo. Rock those threads!!

Heathy February 26, 2012 at 6:23 am

Yummy travel eats! Mmmm, I want mint thins!!!! :D Have a terrific time girls! xo
Heathy recently posted..Monkeys and SunsetsMy Profile

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan February 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

can’t wait for the recipe, jenn and i have been upping our protein lately and have been noticing such a difference in our metabolism and energy! :)
Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..Seedy Kale Crackers + SmoothiesMy Profile

Nadia March 3, 2012 at 8:54 am

Great post! I love getting ready for travelling. It’s exciting, I love those contigo bottles.!
Nadia recently posted..From the time I quit my jobMy Profile