walnut carob mini cakes

by Lori and Michelle on February 20, 2012

grain free walnut cakes

we love our grain free sugar free mini cakes!   we are so thankful for Alex’s recipe idea!

hard to believe you can get a cake out of just a few ingredients.

now these cakes are not the average cake texture. they have a unique lightness and chew, plus have a little texture due to the nuts. but we absolutely adore them.

and this time we used walnuts instead of hazelnuts.  so a great source of Omega 3!

sugar-free-walnut carob mini cake

we doubled this recipe as we were traveling so wanted food on hand for our trip down to FL.

walnut carob cakes

and they make for a great dinner, haha, not that we are speaking from experience.

and sorry we have been a little MIA these past few days.

this little one has been stealing our attention.

doesn’t she wear the green mustache so well??

she still loves her green smoothies. and this morning she tried a little of our juice!

we only have a few days with our niece, while home doing wedding things, so we are soaking up every minute with her!!

then we are off to Disney for the Princess Half Marathon with our older sister. anyone running?

have a great Monday!

L & M

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 20, 2012 at 8:53 am

These sound great!
And you gotta love a green smoothie-lovin munchkin!!!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Protein WAFFLES!My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 20, 2012 at 8:56 am

Thanks Jamie!

Stephanie February 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

omg! must try!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

I have a friend who’s running that race! I wish I could be in the sunshine! Have a great week ladies! The cakes look perfectly delicious!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..11 Random Things Times 2My Profile

Jaime February 20, 2012 at 9:18 am

Just an FYI- walnuts have such a preponderance of omega-6 fats that the omega-3 content basically cancels itself out. Hazelnuts are a better choice even if they’ve got no omega-3 because the omega-6 content is much lower.

Lori and Michelle February 20, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thanks Jamie yes we are very aware of this, we did a whole post on omega 3 here http://www.pure2raw.com/2012/01/omega3-fatty-acids-help-clear-up-acne/ We just needed a change from hazelnuts. Thanks though for sharing.

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

YUM!!! These look amazing!! Ok, if I can’t have walnuts, can I use almonds for this recipe do you think??? Mmmmmm!!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Is Today the Day You Turn Your Life Around?My Profile

Lori and Michelle February 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

yes using almonds would be great!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

These look great, awesome job on the recipe!
Christine (The Raw Project) recently posted..Recouping and RegroupingMy Profile

Sam February 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hi

Do not worry ab out walnuts they have great ratio omega3/6 I am on paleo long time and walnut and macadamia nuts are considered to be best option.

Can I ask for what reson you use ACV in cake?
Thanks

Lori and Michelle February 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Sam no real reason, we used wanted to use it to help lift the cake. you can use baking soda if you would like, we just like ACV so we tend to use it a lot.

Lisa February 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

Look at that cutie pie!!! How sweet :-)

The mini cakes look super yummy!
Lisa recently posted..Why Aged Cheese is Good For YouMy Profile

Erica February 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

oh my cuteness!!! Love her. And these cakes! Amazing
Erica recently posted..Eli’s TableMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

Ooh I can see the texture through the photos of these! They look and sound amazing – and of course, good for you too :)
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..BAFTA Awards 2012 FashionMy Profile

Becky February 20, 2012 at 11:23 am

Could you substitute a flax egg for the egg whites, or would that mess up the texture? If so, how many flax eggs would you do? Thanks!

Lori and Michelle February 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Becky yes you could use flax egg, it will change the texture but should still be ok. we would say 2 tbsp flax meal to 6 tbsp water and sit for 10 minutes. they baking time might change was well. we will have to try making one ourselves to see how it does!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Love how few ingredients there are!! Enjoy your time with your niece, she’s a doll :)
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..wall-o-pictures, made betterMy Profile

the delicate place February 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

def not running but holy cow! i’m passing this on to nate, he’s just starting to incorporate walnuts into his diet more frequently i think he would love this! i know i will already just by looking at the ingredient list!

Liz @ iheartvegetables February 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

YUM! Those look SO good!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Snow? Maybe? That’s good enough for me…My Profile

katie @KatieDid February 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I can’t get over how adorable your niece is!!!!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..The Winter HuesMy Profile

Rhonda D February 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I love your recipes, Can you use coconut flour instead of the walnuts I can not have any type of nuts?

Lori and Michelle February 21, 2012 at 7:24 am

Rhonda you can use coconut flour but it will be different in texture. Sometimes coconut flour can be very drying in terms of soaking up all the liquid, so you might have to add in water and not have to bake it as long. You could also use coconut flour along with another flour or starch of choice.

Jane February 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Yum! I love walnuts and these look so delish! Love the green mustache! :)
Jane recently posted..Crockpot Monday: Turkey Pinto ChiliMy Profile

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

These look great ladies!!! a nice protein snack for the road. I was looking for something like this as I’ll be travelling the next few days. thanks and happy monday :)
Sarah @ The Healthy Diva recently posted..Motivational Monday: Get your Rear into Gear!My Profile

Lisa February 20, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Looks like a great snack! Question about the recipe, what is the ACV for?

Lori and Michelle February 21, 2012 at 7:27 am

Lisa it just helps give these cakes a little lift, like baking powder or baking soda would do. We just love ACV so we tend to use it a lot, you could use baking powder if you would like

Debbie February 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

These look super and easy…thank you, going to make these tomorrow (;

Laury @thefitnessdish February 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

your niece is adorable!!!!!!!!!

I am loving how you can get a cake with no grains! amazing! I need to get in the kitchen and make these especially because I am always looking for things to grab! I have all the ingredients! Perhaps tomorrow–I’ll let you know how they turn out!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Procrastination & BlingMy Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com February 21, 2012 at 12:33 am

These look soooo good! Can’t wait to try them!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 21, 2012 at 6:11 am

I’m so glad you are enjoying it, girls!! I love them, too. I recently bought some hazelnut flour, so I am ready to try your other version!
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Host ChangeMy Profile

Caitlin February 21, 2012 at 7:44 am

Tweet me ladies, I will be in Orlando Saturday night and am free on Sunday for a meet-up of some kind if you’ll still be around after the race! Are you running?
Caitlin recently posted..February’s BirchboxMy Profile

Lori and Michelle February 21, 2012 at 9:02 am

Caitlin, we fly back Sunday morning. and we are just coming to work at the expo, no running this year.

lynn @ the actor's diet February 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm

YUM!!! those look really good.
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..Slim TuesdayMy Profile

(what runs) Lori February 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Oh yum! I love how simple the ingredients are. AND I’m out of everything… except for all those ingredients. I have to make these. Super healthy but they look incredibly indulgent. (all my favorite qualities) ;)
(what runs) Lori recently posted..Hello Beautiful: Svelte ReviewMy Profile

Emy September 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Can I use ground nut flour, don’t knw where to get hazelnut flour here.
The baby is so cutie cutie

Lori and Michelle September 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

Emy any nut flour would work.