protein powder talk + video

by michelle on March 29, 2012

hello again friends!

thanks for all the congrats on Lori’s big news. exciting times over here, plus more news to come soon.

today Lori and I are going to chat about protein per requests.

more specifically our thoughts on our favorite protein powders and where we buy our plant based protein powders.

from our workouts and recipes lately showing us enjoying more protein powders, we have received several questions about what are our favorite ones, where do we buy them, etc.

so we created a ‘fun’ video that explains it all. if we missed something please let us know.

as you can see Lori and I like our protein powders, haha

here is our line up of  our favorite vegan plant based protein powders that we love and enjoy daily!  SunWarrior brown rice, hemp protein, and Vega Performance Protein, and raw hemp seeds.

that is it. these are the protein powders that we have been enjoying and our bodies seem to be liking!

plus these few green powders from HealthForce that we love for extra green and nutritional boost.

this smoothie above contains spirulina, hence the color

this one has Vitamineral green added to it (we normally do about 2 tsp)

and this one has no green powders, just naturally green from the greens (which this one had parsley and collard greens)

just a few smoothies we enjoyed this past week after our workouts. we have been enjoying fruit based smoothies again, and our bodies are loving them. yay! I have been trying to do better at sharing what are smoothies up on our facebook page, so check them out.

and we have talked where to buy things in bulk before, but to review we like Amazon and iherb. Enter this coupon code on iherb and get $5 off your order – ZED111

happy shopping!

what is your favorite protein powder? do you like adding these type of green powders into your daily routine? if not, would you ever try any? have your thoughts on protein powders changed over the years like ours have?

Michelle

LizAshlee March 29, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks for sharing…great review..I love Vega and Sun Warrior is pretty good too! :)
LizAshlee recently posted..In Search Of…My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! March 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Love protein powder! Thats one of the major challenges i’m facing living abroad – there arent many European manufacturers of plant protein powders, so I have to have them sent from the US. Luckily iherb has cheap(ish) international shipping.

My all-time favorite is sun warrior vanilla – I love making protein sludge/pudding with it. I havent tried the vega performance protein (yet!) but I just bought some whole food health optimizer which I LOVE – and although it’s not a pure protein powder, it does pack 13g per scoop. Which isn’t so bad. I bought a totally plain Swedish brand of rice protein (it was cheap, haha) but it was gritty and only palatable in smoothies.
I love adding a scoop of protein to my breakfast, no matter what it is! Green smoothies, muesli and fruit with almond milk, protein pancakes, I’ll do it all. Gotta feed those muscles :-P
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..WIAW – Green and RandomMy Profile

Doris @vanillacocoberry March 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

love seeing you guys in videos! i ordered the sunwarrior vanilla raw protein couple of days ago from amazon…quite an investment might I add
Doris @vanillacocoberry recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #5My Profile

Sara March 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I’m was so glad to see this post. I am just now starting to add protein powders into my smoothies per my doctors recommendations. I am very hesitant to try new things since I have a very sensitive stomach, but I tried the Vega Chai flavor and it did not sit well at all! I am now using rice protein powder which doesn’t affect my energy level, but it does cause some stomach issues. Next up I am going to try hemp powder so I hope I have better luck with that.

Lisa March 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’m definitely a protein powder fan. I love vanilla sun warrior, I have 2 big bags left and after I want to try Vega. Great video.
Lisa recently posted..ManmakerMy Profile

allie March 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

woo! thanks for the great advice ladies!

steph@ lungesandlunch March 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I love Vega and Sunwarrior and am low on both – eek!

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) March 29, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I wrote a post about vegetable protein yesterday! I use Rich in Health pea protein, I find it is really good for my digestion and keeps me full for ages. If anyone else is in Australia you should try it :) http://livehealthysimply.com/2012/03/rich-in-health-high-protein-powder/
Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) recently posted..Dinner With Ken Israel Owner of Iku WholefoodMy Profile

Stephanie March 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

For plant-based proteins, I like Pumpkinseed Protein Powder from Omega Nutrition. They are slightly sweeter (?) than hemp and tastier. It however does not mix well, so I’ve been using it up with your awesome Thin Mint recipe. For shakes, I use this New Zealand whey protein, which was expensive, but worth it as it is very high-quality.
Thanks for the video!!
Stephanie recently posted..Oriental marketsMy Profile

katie @KatieDid March 29, 2012 at 6:23 pm

nice to know your opinions on these. so far my body doesn’t like hemp, and I don’t like the taste either. but I’ve been enjoying unflavored whey! Been baking a little with it and have been having about one smoothie a day too and its been a great addition.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Starting the Day Off RightMy Profile

Debbie March 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Really appreciate your video info, but had a really hard time hearing you. (:
blessings

Ela March 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I have a protein powder post up my sleeve, and there’s one powder I really want to share with you guys that you didn’t include–I promise I’ll do it soon, as I think it’s a special one.

I’m excited to see that sun warrior is making a pea protein powder as well now–I don’t do very well with rice protein. But I love spirulina and chlorella for protein–they have so much protein for so few calories. I second the hemp also.

Amazon and iHerb are good–another really good one is Swanson’s–they don’t have Vega and Sun Warrior but they do have nutiva and a bunch of other good brands. Cheap.
Ela recently posted..Receding Snow, Snow SmoothiesMy Profile

Laury@TheFitnessDish March 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm

You know I love my protein!!!

I hate sun warrior but use it almost every day now because I have so much of it! Now I am just about out. I figured out a way to mask it in smoothies…but for a while I wouldn’t touch it.

I think the 3 of us agree that Vega is where it’s at ;-)
Laury@TheFitnessDish recently posted..Stud Workout ~ Pay It ForwardMy Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Such a great review! Thanks!!!

Vitamins for Beauty March 30, 2012 at 12:52 am

I love me some green juice! Vega has a new formula out and the Vanilla Chai is awesome with some maca very good! Healthforce is one of my favourite for blue-green algae and chlorella :)

Nicole <3
Vitamins for Beauty recently posted..Caudalie Vinexpert Dietary Supplement ReviewMy Profile

Heather @ For the Love of Kale March 30, 2012 at 6:46 am

Yay for Vega!!! :-)

Have you tried Life’s Basics. Since I’m strapped for cash 99.9% of the time, when I can’t afford Vega, I purchase the chocolate Life’s Basics protein powder. It’s a mix of pea protein, brown rice, hemp and chia, and they also sweeten with stevia! http://www.lifetimevitamins.com/products/lifetime_plantprotein.html
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Vlog #13 – Five Foodie FavoritesMy Profile

sam March 30, 2012 at 9:10 am

I have tried all of them and have to say hate vega flavour and my stomac did not like it.. Sun warrior vanilla was best one for me. I have tried also garden of life it has more protein than sw. Now I do not use any protein powder when I have start to eat fish and eggs and some grass fed meat there is no reason for to use protein powder. Also there is always better asimilation from real food than from powders. Have you ever heard about toxicity from plants protein? Paul Jaminet talks about it a lot. He even eliminate quinoa due to high protein

Lisa March 31, 2012 at 3:30 am

I used to always stick to Sunwarrior, Vega, and Hemp….but in the past 6 months I’ve been using Jay Robb whey protein and I just started using a whole goat milk protein. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I haven’t changed my workouts, and I am way more “cut” looking than I was before. But I guess in the same time period, I also cut grains and added extra fat, so who knows what to attribute it too—I thought I was in good shape before, and now I have to buy new shirts b/c my shoulders are making them too tight. lol.
Thanks for sharing what you do, as always it was interesting!
Lisa recently posted..Smoothies and Juice (Part 2)My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm

haha awesome Lisa!

Lisa March 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

Hi! I use Garden of Life Raw Protein, unflavored, in my morning smoothie. I blend 1 cup of frozen spinach, 1 banana, 1/4 c. walnuts or 2 T. hemp seeds, 1 T. maca, 4 prunes, some fresh ginger and add water or (soy/nut) milk until it reaches the consistency I like. Usually I add cinnamon too. I have tried the Vega protein and love it, but found Garden of life to be much more economical, not only is it cheaper, but I get many more servings from one container. I save my Vega for when I’m traveling and can’t blend up a smoothie.

Mimi March 31, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thanks for the review! So, you just add water to which flavor of Vega? Until it’s like a pudding consistency?

I like plantfusion and spirutein. Have you tried either?

Hilda April 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

Have you heard anything about a product called Green Vibrance by Vibrant Health? I was wondering what your opinion is on that product & if you’ve ever tried it. I am using Herbalife protein powder now but I am not satisfied with it but then again, it’s the first protein powder I’ve ever used. I also wanted to know any opinions from you & your readers about the Mercola (www.mercola.com) line of protein powders?

Any advice would be great, thanks so much & have a great day!!

Lori and Michelle April 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

Hilda, yes we have heard of green vibrance, and used to enjoy years ago. but then we feel in love with these other products. but everyone has different taste buds and all. But we do now people who love Green Vibrance. And for Mercola products from what we have heard are really good products. we personally have not tried any, but have heard good things.

Hilda April 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thanks so much for your prompt response.

Meagan May 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Am I picking up an accent? Where are you guys from? :)
Meagan recently posted..Nourishing Vegetable Egg CasseroleMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

haha so many people tell us we have an accent. we are from FL. too funny ;)

Daniel May 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I recommend http://www.Truenutriton.com to customize the ratios of protein sources you want in a powder, whether you’re shopping for 1lb or 20lbs.

One problem I have with nearly all protein companies is they do not disclose ratios of the proteins used. This is why i customize my own protein powder by adding whatever protein sources, enzymes, sweeteners, flavors, etc. I bought a 5 lb bag of 10% Hemp Protein/80% Brown Rice Protein/10% Gemma Pea Protein blend for $30. Unfortunately, they do not carry Alfalfa Protein nor Sacha Inchi Protein, the last one being a very expensive protein source. But they have the cheapest prices and fair shipping rates from what I’ve seen.

Daniel May 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm
allie@myhealthydiscipline May 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hi Lori & Michelle! :) I keep going back and forth on your blog and instagrams trying to decide which proteins you specifically take that are best for pre- and post- workout? You take Sun Warrior before and then Vega after? Is there specific nutritional differences between the two?

Also, have you guys ever tried Shakeology? The vegan blend just came out in February and its made from brown rice protein, plus it also has prebiotics, digestive enzymes, antioxidants, phytonutrients, as well as vitamins and minerals. LOVE to know your thoughts!!? ;)

Lori and Michelle May 7, 2012 at 4:23 am

Allie, we enjoy both sun warrior and vega. we mix it up when we eat them. sometimes it just works out that we enjoy brown rice before and vega after. we like vega because it is more than just brown rice. we like the variety. we have heard of shakeology and heard good things. did not know they had a vegan blend, we will have to check it out.

Morri June 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thank you so much for sending me this link! I really love your smoothies/meal drinks and am so ready to try those Vega One packets. Wish me luck.

xox,
Morri

Mike @ Organic Protein Powder August 16, 2012 at 2:47 am

They looks so nice and yummy.
Some people dont like the taste of the vegetarian powders.
Ive always over come them blending fruits or their juices.
A new one I have to try that I just heard elsewhere is Soy cream.

Tam February 4, 2013 at 9:09 am

Is Visalus protein shakes good or bad?