chocolate fudge balls

by Lori and Michelle on March 1, 2012

hello luvs,

thanks for all the sweet comments on our weekend away at Disney and we love hearing from you all about your favorite culinary oil (have you entered our giveaway?).

we are still trying to get caught up from being out of town for a few days, but each day we get a little more caught up.

a few weeks ago we did a little comparison of a cooked vs. a raw recipe using the same ingredients. but doing the baking method differently. we have always wanted to do a little fun kitchen experiment comparing a baked good vs a raw food.

Michelle debating if she likes them

we know we are not the only ones out there that have ever wanted to know if you could take a baked good recipe and make it RAW. are we right? thought so.

or you might just be thinking that we are weird for trying this. and that is okay with us too.

what can we say we just like doing this differently and looking at things in a different way.

a little more about these chocolate fudge balls. we of course made them gluten free as well grain free. we put cayenne in ours, so they were a little hot. feel free to omit the cayenne and add your favorite flavor…cinnamon or cardamom would be nice.

these turned out to be a little hard on the outside and extremely soft and gooey on the inside.

at first we were not the biggest fans of these. we thought it was a failure recipe. but we kept going back ended up finishing them for more.

these chocolate fudge balls really grew on us. they are unique. but we really liked them. go figure.  they are rich, not overly sweet. more on the bitter side of chocolate. if you like dark chocolate this recipe if for you.

so can you tell which one is cooked vs raw?

to be honest we did not find that big of difference. a slight difference in texture, but overall pretty similar.

the cooked one is on the right and raw on the left! both tasted great! not sure if all recipes would come out similar, but for some reason this one did.

and for those who have asked as about why we use ACV in our recipes like on our mini cakes. we use it as our leavening plus just really love ACV.

Twins Question: we posted on our facebook page about bridesmaid gift ideas, and we wanted to ask our readers here too? Thanks to everyone who has shared an idea, they all have been great!

Anyone else ever do a raw vs cooked experiment for a recipe?

L & M

katie @KatieDid March 1, 2012 at 7:08 am

Such a fun experiment. It would have been fun to do a twin blind taste test where one of you knew which was raw vs. cooked and the other was testing them and didn’t know. Would be interesting to do with more desserts too!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..My Own Paleo JourneyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 1, 2012 at 7:19 am

haha katie great idea, next time we will do that

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free March 1, 2012 at 7:30 am

They look the same! Funny…and it definitely sounds like my kind of recipe. You know how I love my dark chocolate!

And michelle, your skin looks great!!! Whatever you are doing is definitely working (i think I’ve told you this before, but this picture makes you glow!). :D

Have a wonderful day, girls.
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..What to Do With an Extra DayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 1, 2012 at 7:52 am

Alex yes knew you would love this recipe! and thank you so much for the sweet compliment about my skin. finally getting clear skin. lori is still struggling so makes it frustrating for us to what is going on but we are hopeful

Erica March 1, 2012 at 7:46 am

SUCH a great idea! It is hard to tell from the pictures.
Erica recently posted..Shrimp Fried Rice with Sesame OilMy Profile

Bonnie March 1, 2012 at 8:53 am

This looks way too delicious right now. I could totally go for some chocolate fudge balls.
Ha — It makes me think of that SNL “Schweaty Balls” skit. Now I can’t stop laughing.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Bonnie recently posted..Ralph Lauren Black Label – Spring 2012My Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 1, 2012 at 9:00 am

Ooh those look and sound SO good! I think I’ll have to try them both :P

the delicate place March 1, 2012 at 11:53 am

looks like i’ll be making another one of your recipes stat! i’m gonna try with flax seeds as that’s all i have at the moment :)
the delicate place recently posted..hey you. . .My Profile

Leah March 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

So glad you can bake them too. Will try that recipe. I like how you include substitutions too.

Re:bridesmaid gifts..a friend of mine gave us each lovely cream colored pearl earrings and a jewelry wrap. I use both gifts often. We got married on our own and had a party after, but if I had done the regular wedding I would have looked for gifts on etsy. They have beautiful necklaces, earrings, bracelets, monogrammed jewelry wraps, sunglasses holders and EVERY thing else you can imagine and you are supporting small business. Some shops on there specialize in bridal and bridal party stuff. Of course treats from your bakery I’m sure would be great bridesmaid gifts so you could do that! It’s always nice to have healthy munchies you can eat on your ride home or in the hotel!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

These look great! I always seem to win texture points after cooking, so it’s awesome that these turned out so similar to their raw version after baking. I am going to try these!

Lee March 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

OMG I LOVE THESE PICTURES! I also really like your headband :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

such a fun little experiment! that’s cool that there wasn’t much difference. you guys are adorable
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Have a SaladMy Profile

Lauren March 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Yummy, what a fun experiment! I’ll be your guinea pig next time! ;)
Lauren recently posted..Celebrating 60!My Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

These look sooo good!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance March 1, 2012 at 4:19 pm

That’s really interesting that they tasted similar! I’m with Katie on the twins’ taste test :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..“Nom” ExplainedMy Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I will do this fudge ball challenge…no wait…I don’t have a dehydrator, so I’ll bake them, love them and eat them all, then report back :) YUM!!!!!

I love stevia!!!!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Worry Wart or Focused Frenzy?!My Profile

Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm

If it’s the same thing or close enough with less work…I’ll take it! Yummy looking as always!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Stuffed With Emptiness: The FinaleMy Profile

Lisa March 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for the recipe—it looks yummy. I’m a big fan of the non-sweet chocolate snacks!
I have always contemplated the raw vs. cooked thing…but have not tested it! So, I’m glad you did it for me
:-)
Lisa recently posted..Cheesy Broccoli Tots with KetchupMy Profile

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Haha that’s such a cool experiment! I think I’d like both ;)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..What I Ate [Over the Weekend] WednesdayMy Profile

Laury @thefitnessdish March 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yes–these look amazing and I think I will be making them soon!!!!
Bridesmaids gifts–I gave my girls GC for manicures and pedicures for the day before my wedding–and I gave them jewelry and frames with a photo of each individual girls and I and a letter on the back telling them what they meant to me, etc, favorite memories and stuff. They loved them!
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..111 days til…My Profile

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) March 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

They both look delicious!

Ela March 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm

yum yum! Yes, I’ve tried some of my energy bars both baked and dehy–I think it’s a really interesting experiment to do.

Love love this recipe! I love chocolate super-dark and not sweet–my carrot brownie bites are along those lines too. even though I’m not supposed to have choc, haha.
Ela recently posted..Carrot Cardamom Birthday Cake (Allergy-Free); Gratitude, and a Bonus RecipeMy Profile

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 2, 2012 at 12:31 am

they look pretty much identical! Taste testing must have been a real hard job ;)
Sarah @ The Healthy Diva recently posted..Guilt-free eating & Carrot Pineapple Protein MuffinsMy Profile

Ana March 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm

They look great, and from the pics really not much difference! I love experimenting in the kitchen, especially doing taste tests, it is so much fun. I ALWAYS said that my dream job is to work on a test kitchen of a healthy magazine. I will still do that one day, it is truly my dream job!
I love this recipe, really want to make it because from your description it sounds like something I would like a lot. Would you use carob or brown rice flour in place of the mesquite? (I don’t have that) Do you guys thing oat flour would work too?
Can’t wait to try, even more so because I have the mila at home now :-)
Ana

Lori and Michelle March 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Ana yes you could either for the mesquite. you could use oat flour, it might make them more dry.

LizAshlee March 2, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Definitely saving this recipe…thinking I am going to do The Body Ecology Diet soon as a cleanse and I think all these ingredients would works..and I still get fudge balls…YAY…win win!
LizAshlee recently posted..Lentil Quinoa Meatballs…Off to Long Beach!My Profile

sarah March 3, 2012 at 8:24 am

I did a similar experiment when i first got my dehydrator but with pancakes…didn’t work out so well:0 Your fudge balls look great though!

Dana March 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi Pure2Raw twins!
I made these last night, but it seemed like the apple cider vinegar threw off the taste..any specific reason why you added it to the mix? (Ie. is it necessary?)

Thanks!

Lori and Michelle March 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Dana, we use it as the leavening for the cookies, but you could omit it. If you want lift add about 1/4 tsp baking powder.

Mark Mumma March 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hi:)
I’ve made a few of your recipes and they all taste delicious.
What does this taste like raw (ie. without dehydrating)?