finding the perfect diet

by Lori and Michelle on March 22, 2012

hello friends!

today we have a slightly big topic to discuss and share with you. as we have received many questions about what we are eating lately. and we felt like we needed to explain that a little more.

for those of you that have been following our blog since the beginning, or even from one year ago, you would have seen how much we have changed over the years. if you were to ask any of our close friends or family, even Gary, they would tell you that we have changed completely. each time we come home we are eating differently, or added something new into our diet.

though who hasn’t changed the way they eat some over the years? think about how your attitude towards food has evolved? changed?

what do you think about?

when we really sit and think about this for awhile, we come to realize that we are not the same girls we were a few years ago. not saying this is a bad thing but just taking notice.

people are always asking us what we eat. frankly, we stopped sharing exactly what we ate on the blog because we did not want people to judge us. though we know people are always going to be judging. unfortunately that is how the world works.

we do plan on sharing more of our eats here and know that we will get criticized for some of our thinking and choices. but like we mentioned earlier our attitude for food, good health has changed. we have learned so much over the years.  and from those life lessons we have experienced a new attitude towards food in general. a new attitude to what is good health for us as individuals.

where we are today in life has also made a difference on what we want out of our food and health.

meaning, that we are having skin issues (though getting better but still struggling) and we want that lean muscle body look. therefore, we have researched, read, and learned from others to try new things to see if they work for us. so many of you have mentioned things for us to try for our skin, etc. and we loved hearing all your thoughts! although sometimes hearing so many different things can be confusing. do you experience that as well, when you have so many choices on what to do? do you get confused on what to do?

vega protein powder chocolate bowla recipe fail – working on a new recipe – a Vega protein protein chocolate cake. recipe coming soon.

and since Lori found she is allergic to a few things we had to alter the food choices around here some as well. we had to take a few things out while adding a few new things in.

we don’t judge anybody by the way they eat or what they eat. all we care about is if that person is truly happy and living their life to the fullest. if they are, then we are happy.

that is where we are in our food health journey.

trying to experiment with new things to see if we can reach our current health and fitness goals. we are trying new things like cutting back on our healthy fats, which is extremely hard to do. so many of you said for Lori’s acne to cut back on fats, even the healthy fats for a little bit. so that is what we are doing. since we cut way back on those we had to add in some animal products to help fill us up as we still are trying to avoid grains as much as possible. and yes there are beans out there to fill us up, but we are not the biggest fans for stomach reasons at the moment.

duck eggs and turmerichere is a veggie bowl with some duck eggs that we are trying out. so far so good. and having lots of cinnamon and turmeric with our foods as well.

we are trying to eat a well balance diet that is filled with protein (protein powders, duck eggs, fish, and some bison, just added that), fruit (added that back in), lots of vegetables, and of course lots of dark leafy greens (for protein, fiber, and vitamins and minerals).

• we are not raw foodies. although we love raw foods.
  • we are not vegans. although we love vegan foods.
  • we are not paleo. although we are enjoying eating more paleo- protein like.
  • we still love our greens and vegetables. still enjoy eating gluten free and dairy free.

we are not trying to be 100% at anything. just listening to our bodies. eat when we are hungry (which we are eating smaller meals about every 3 hours).  we know every body is different and eats differently. and that is ok. remember each person is different and requires different things. right now we are trying this little higher protein, low sugar, no grains diet for a little bit to see how we do.

mahi mahi for dinnera mahi mahi veggie dinner

we like to try and experiment with new things because we are still trying to find something that just clicks and works for us. we have tried so many different ‘diets’ that worked for some things but did not give us the complete picture we are looking for. do you ever feel that way? try something and you love it but then it just kinda stops working? does that make sense?

we get tired of hearing the words, “this diet is perfect for you, you will notice changes immediately”, “eat this way to lose the weight”, “this is the best diet”, etc. what diet is perfect?

to us there is none. not even for us. we came across a quote the other day that said perfect people aren’t real. and there is something about that quote that is so true. nothing in life is perfect. so why do we always strive to be perfect all the time?

green smoothiesgreen smoothies we will always love and enjoy you daily. this one contains some bananas and no avocado like most of our past smoothies did. as we mentioned we are having a little fruit now.

though we realize our diet might continue to change over time. as we continue to learn and grow our food choices might change. that is why our attitude towards food had to change. we had to stop being so strict about one thing and not having an open mind about something else because you never know what you might learn or discover that helps make you feel amazing! we had to stop thinking we are raw foodies, vegans, vegetarians, paleo, etc. we just eat to feel good period. and at certain times in our life certain foods might make us feel better at that moment and then other times it will not.

right now we are focused on getting Lori’s face to get clear again and getting strong, defined lean body (for her wedding and for the summer season). we plan to experiment with our new ‘diet’ till we feel we have reached those goals. you can say we are like professional athletes training for a competition. we are taking our health and food choices seriously and being very careful about what we do.

we are taking it one day, one week at a time with our new eats to see how we do. we will let you know how it all goes. so far so good. we are both feeling great and are happy.

Source: google.com via Pure2raw on Pinterest

how has your attitude for food changed? have you made any changes to your diet lately? what do you feel has been working for you? what do you do when people judge you for the way you eat? do you feel there is a perfect diet out there?

L&M

Bekah March 22, 2012 at 7:45 am

Wondeful post! Even though it was personal, it was also something I needed to hear! Thank you!

hedei March 22, 2012 at 7:59 am

My attitude towards food has changed a bit in the past 3 years, I’ve learned that some foods settle good with me and some not too much. I’ve had to change my diet quite a few times, and is still changing as I look for foods that suit me better. I used to be a vegetarian and many people would constantly ask me why I changed my eating habits, it would getting annoying after a while because it felt like I had to justify why id become a vegetarian.
I do feel there’s a perfect diet out there but of course it wont be universal, it will be very personalized according to ones needs. :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan March 22, 2012 at 8:14 am

You know I am behind you girls 100% and I am all about flexibility in one’s diet and figuring out what works best for every person as an individual. You just keep taking care of YOURSELVES first and foremost and the rest will fall into place! <3
Amber Shea @Almost Vegan recently posted..Leftovers: healthy homemade eats + vegan bar foodMy Profile

Lauren March 22, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hey guys,

I like this post! I am a professional Figure athlete (a female approach to Bodybuilding, but think long and lean in heels- the girls you see in Oxygen). I too eat raw at times, vegan at times..the only thing I would definitely classify myself as is a ‘pescatarian’..as I only have fish and no meat. You guys are doing good things by eating every 3 hours, keeping grains at a minimum and protein high. The thing I struggle with is depreviation and binging..as after shows when I have dieted down, I get ravenous and start to eat foods I don’t even WANT to have in my diet like pizza and cakes because i have deprevied for so long. But your blog has actually educated and inspired me to nix those foods and if I do have an urge to overeat..at least put nutritious healthy clean foods into my diet.

If you ever need diet or exercise advice feel free to reach out to me! I have emailed you guys a couple of times on orders and nutrition facts on your products (PS the brownie bites are amazing..one little brownie satisfies chocolate cravings because it’s so dense and full of flavor!).

Stephanie March 22, 2012 at 8:45 am

Of course, you can’t always eat the same foods all the time and situations constantly change that you have to change with it. Even I was once a vegetarian, high raw eater, paleo, and now just whatever. Finding what works for you can take years and is a constant experimentation. Definitely no one should judge you in any way, and you should also never feel that you have to be 100% perfect on anything. Thank You for writing the post – I feel a lot of others can sympathize with you :)
Stephanie recently posted..Who needs brownies – Aduki Mochi Recipe!My Profile

jessie ann james March 22, 2012 at 8:48 am

i have loved you ladies since i discovered you! trying to figure out the best route is really hard and I’m still navigating that path too! Whats most important is doing what is best for YOUR body and no one else’s! so keep up the hard work because you’ve got support for some many people!
jessie ann james recently posted..back to reality…My Profile

katie @KatieDid March 22, 2012 at 8:52 am

I couldn’t agree more with just about every single part of this post. We have such similar views on health and diet and find I enjoy very similar foods to what you two eat, and that’s just one of the reasons I love your blog more and more each day. I eat on the paleo spectrum but I don’t enjoy labels either because they are binding and restricting and don’t flow with life. But this way works so well for my body, although I’m still learning new things every single day and expanding and changing what I eat all the time. No I don’t ever think I’ll find the “perfect” diet for me because my bodies’ needs will continue to change all the time over the course of my whole life, I just hope I can continue to learn, adapt and listen to my body when I need to so I can always be feeling happy and healthy. Cheers! (and one of my favorite posts by you two!)
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Cracking the Smoothie CodeMy Profile

PJ March 22, 2012 at 9:06 am

great post!!… i actually really don’t like the word “diet”. I enjoy all kinds of food myself, but when I eat something “vegetarian” or “paleo” etc. people ask me if that is my “diet”. I just love food, especially healthy food. “…just eat to feel good period.” .. and stay healthy. keep up the great info and site! take care!

Lisa March 22, 2012 at 9:11 am

My food personality has changed 100% over the years (significantly in the past couple). I avoid all labels, and pull out what works for me from each experiment I do on myself! I love parts of raw food, parts of paleo, parts of vegan….but have my own way of eating that works for me right now—I expect that will keep changing as my needs change too!
All I ever want for other people is that they can find their best ways to eat at any given time too!
Lisa recently posted..Dark Chocolate Avocado PuddingMy Profile

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan March 22, 2012 at 9:19 am

I definitely eat better than I had 6 years ago. I am a firm believer in a plant based diet. There is so much info in regards to this way of life. I think if people are going to continue to eat animals that they should take the time to find out where they come from and buy grass fed, hormone free, antibiotic free, etc and this would cut down on their consumption. We definitely don’t need to eat the huge amounts of animal foods that we do.
I am vegan but would rather just say I eat a plant based diet but when I do people say “oh so your vegan”? It is just easier. To sum it up…I think if people are going to eat animals/animal products that it should be the smaller portion of their diet and a higher intake of plant food. I know you girls love plant foods and do this no matter what you add to your diet. You have amazing raw food recipes and you have opened up about your health issues and what you’ve tried to resolve them and what has worked. It’s all very informative. Thank you for that and look forward to future posts!
JoLynn-dreaminitvegan recently posted..Weekend wrap up!My Profile

Deana March 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

Oh, yes, I have been thinking along the same lines lately. I have tried vegan, vegetarian for 21 years, then added chicken and turkey, gluten free 8 years, no coffee, no chocolate, no alcohol… Now I have been raw for about 50 days, and I am asked all the time by people what I eat, is that really raw, can you have that, etc… I say that this is my diet, for me, and I am trying to find the best way for me to eat, for my health. I have changed so many times over the years! I feel now that I am just so much more knowledgeable, and I am really listening to my body. Thank you for sharing your journey, your recipes, and your wonderful foods. You have really helped me – back when I bought from you at the farmer’s market in Raleigh, and now with mail-order raw goodies. Have a great rest of your week!

fartygirl March 22, 2012 at 10:15 am

HEY! GREAT topic. Like you – I’ve been changing up my diet over the past few months, and have also felt nervous about sharing the news. I found that eating raw cheese, yogurt, and eggs has increased my energy and happiness. This is a big change, and one that makes life even MORE confusing… how do you explain to someone that you are dairy free, but not really? Hahaha.

I had NO idea you were eating meat again! I’m very curious to hear how it affects your tummies. Several people have told me that meat is helpful for IBS, because of the fats it supplies to the guts. So yeah, if it helps you, I’d love to hear about it!

Good luck with the changes. Don’t worry about sharing. If you want to, the true twinfans will stick by you. And we’re the ones who really matter anyway! <3
fartygirl recently posted..IBS on a BudgetMy Profile

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance March 22, 2012 at 10:18 am

SUCH a great post! I’m with you 100%– I think that there is no “perfect” way for every single person out there to eat and believe that we need to experiment before we learn the way that works best for us!

Forget about the haters– I think it’s a GREAT thing that you girls are willing to try so many different styles and not necessarily put a label on it. It’s human nature to try to explain, analyze, and label particular traits and habits (especially the ones of other people), but the fact remains that you should just do what you feel is beneficial to you personally!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Hot Half & Cold HalfMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

This is such an incredible post! I NEVER label myself by the foods I eat. No, I don’t eat meat right now, but that may change. I think those of us who struggle with digestion issues have the hardest time finding what works for us. Sadly too, what works this year, may not work next year. Finding a balance is all that’s important when it comes to health. I love that your eating has changed over the years. It’s like a little culinary adventure! Thank you for sharing everything that you do! I think you both are amazing! Love you ladies!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Finding Happiness…My Profile

Andrea Drugay March 22, 2012 at 10:39 am

Great post! Like most other commenters and you guys, I’ve been vegetarian, vegan, pescetarian, etc, etc, etc. and about a year ago decided to really and truly STOP with the labeling. Now, when anyone asks, I just smile and say I’m label-free but that I stick to whole foods. That usually satisfies ‘em! ;-)

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 22, 2012 at 10:45 am

diet is so individual and there’s no way everyone will respond the same way to the same regimen. of course there are fundamental principles that guide us to relatively increased health, but in terms of how we veer away from basic greens, fruits, beans, and legumes is completely at the mercy of our ancestry, our lifestyle habits, and our emotional acceptance.
Aylin @ Glow Kitchen recently posted..Eggplant BruschettaMy Profile

sam March 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

First of all love this post love!!! I have changed my diet a lot last 3 years I was vegan I was raw foodost I was 100%paleo now I eat mainly paleo diet but with lots of fish cheese raw goat or sheep one and raw goat or sheep milk kefir. Do not cut back on fat actually cut back on polyunsaturated you were eating them a lot I eat mainly saturated fat and mono and only little (4-8% of cal from polyunsaturated, but my diet is about 50-60% of fat. I recommend you weston price book and skinny on fat document. Also have you ever heard about vitamin K2? Because I have not until January so I have used fermented cod liver oil and butter oil blend highly recommend it. I know lots of information is here but for me two books have changed my eating The perfect health diet and Weston Price book. Both of them are written by highly educated people

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Sam I am glad to know we are not the only ones changing around the diets and foods. we have not heard much about vitamin k2 , we will have to look into more. and yes we know all about Weston Price, we will have to look into it again!

sam March 22, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I am recommended book vitamin K2 and calcium paradox.how little known vitamin could save our life. Very very good wrtitten
Have you know that without k2 when you have lot of calcium in food and in upplement it can not be tranported to our bone and teeth? Actually make bad in artheries. For me it was whole new information. But those books (Weton price etc) convinced me how wrong I wa in my eating habit. Now I do not think that vegan diet i healthy there is no K2 not enough vitamin A, you will find thi information also in chris kresser web. I learned on myelf that I have had cavites on my teeth and thought it is normal but it i not I was deficient in vitamin K2 vitamin A ……………

Ela March 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’m standing up and applauding! What a fantastic post! I so agree with you that it’s a pernicious problem when we try to apply perfectionism to our diets and expect to be able to eat the same thing all the time.

I had five or six years of eating “80-10-10″ style high fruit raw vegan (but low calorie because I’m me!). I loved it, because it allowed me to maintain a very low weight but be functional and active. But I could never build muscle, I was neurotic, my stamina sucked, and probably some of the health problems I have now result from that time plus prior e.d. And yet, I miss those days in a way–it was so nice to just know what I always ate. Just in the couple years I’ve been blogging, my diet has changed and shifted so many times–and I’ve posted a few times that I can’t even have a consistent breakfast, although that would be so convenient.

I also totally empathize about the domino effect when you have to eliminate one food, and you need to add in something else–and what could there be to eat? You don’t have to apologize for not eating beans! I’m curious how you do with the bison–I’ve heard many good things about it. When I experimented with animal products (gosh almost 5 years ago now!), I tried red meat a couple times and it really didn’t work well for me–but I’d never had it in my life before, and my guts weren’t in good shape either, so maybe that was part of it.

I totally agree that it’s nauseating when big banners claim “this is the way to eat for life!” “If you don’t eat this way, you’re toxic,” etc. I think those claims are either designed purely to sell the person’s books, or to broadcast their own insecurity.

People are generally very accepting of my diet, but I do bend over backwards to make foods (which I don’t eat) that people will particularly enjoy. Right now, I’m getting some criticism for how little I’m eating–but I need less food than anyone else I’ve ever heard of, so that’s how it goes!

Feeling so much love and kinship with you ladies right now–you really touched me in the heart with this post.
Ela recently posted.."50 First Weeks"–Green Shoots and Where Will the Snow Go?My Profile

Alison March 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

Love this post!! I had to do the same thing as you girls. I went from eating american diet to south beach to vegetarian to vegan to raw then body ecology, juicing, macrobiotic, you name it!! But I think it got too complicated and my body suffered from that. I realized that I over cleansed or detoxed, but in the end I overstressed my body and I became extremely anemic. My testosterone levels even went to ZERO!! Women need a small amount of testosterone in their body or else they become progesterone and estrogen dominant, which leads to a ton of things!! (lethargic, cant rid of stomach and arm fat, migranes, painful periods, skin problems!) I’ve been through it and tried to understand why I didn’t feel my best when I knew for a fact I was eating really well. So I admire that you realize that you guys need to do what is best for your body and your health. I think we become to attached to the idea of being vegan or raw but in our society today we have to many daily stressors and it just is extremely difficult to eat a certain way. Some people can do it but they supplement alot and it works into their lifestyle. All I have to say is good job girls, and your blog is one of my top favorites!!!

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm

oh the joys of the hormones, Lori is getting tested again for hers. and we are so honored that our blog is a top fav!! xoxo

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! March 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

Awesome post! The more I’ve gotten into healthy living and such, the more I realize that there really is no formula that fits every person’s needs. I know now that one person’s perfect diet could mean serious health issues for another. I’ve also found that just like workouts, you *do* have to change your diet around now and then! (plus, it’s more interesting that way)
People often tell me I eat ‘too healthy’, and until recently, that pressure has pushed me to go over the edge and eat something I didn’t really want just to fit in. But, more and more, I’m learning to embrace it. There are a bunch of changes I’d *like* to make to my diet, but unfortunately, I can’t really afford to with my current budget. I would, however, like to cut out refined sugar completely. I still have a soft spot for baked goods and cakes, and while I know it’s not bad to indulge now and then, I eventually want to get to a point where I can ignore those processed foods completely. It’s hard, in college, especially when everyone you know eats them, and fresh foods are super expensive.
But I like that I have something to work towards, and know I will eventually get there. You ladies are certainly and inspiration on that front :-)
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..WIAW – Green and… Hungry?My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm

yes you will get there!!!

Ela March 22, 2012 at 11:16 am

Oh, one other thing I forgot to say–it’s so weird about the “fats” thing, isn’t it? I know you girls love your good fats and you really seem to thrive on them. I’ve had a much more love-hate (and mostly hate/phobia) relationship with fat most of my life, but two years ago or so, when I had chronic fatigue type stuff going on and was really sick, I was eating a lot of coconut oil for a while (that’s when I posted my “barks” that are like your protein thin mints!) And my husband couldn’t get over how gorgeous my skin was–I’d had rough and spotty skin for a while before that.

But then a bit later I quit eating it, and it seemed like my skin got rough again, but after a while it smoothed out again! Some people say eat fat for good skin, some people say avoid it–too confusing..

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Ela you are the best!! thanks for all your love and support!!! xoxo

the delicate place March 22, 2012 at 11:54 am

yum bison! i don’t pretend i have all the answers but eliminating grains/dairy and eating a range of animal products has given me the ripped ab look & clear skin. i know many have a problem with animal products but it’s not just my vanity that i eat them. i enjoy eating them because they taste good and are giving me nutritional that i’d otherwise have to supplement if i didn’t eat them (hey B vitamins im lookin at you!) i’m glad you are sorting out what works best for you! no judgement here! i think i have found the perfect diet for me (it’s very similar to how you are eating now…just i don’t consume legumes)
the delicate place recently posted..weekend viewfinderMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Melissa bison was good, gheez it has been years since we have had it! we have noticed that the duck eggs has helped us a lot, probably from the B vita :)
we do not consume legumes either, we have not had them in a few months. actually we are surprised how we do not really miss them.

Coco March 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for sharing your journey! I can relate to this in a big way and I have been on a food journey myself. What once started as a way to restrict while I was dealing with disordered eating… I have been vegetarian, vegan, raw, no grains, etc… and it didn’t realize that it was just that disordered eating shifting into something else. When I realized this about a year and a half ago (I was dreaming of eating sushi) I tried to ignore it.. but ultimately I knew that I was harming myself and my body was trying to tell me something. I wasn’t getting enough of what I needed. I did eat that sushi and still will eat some if I feel I want or need it (which is few and far between) but what came from that was the realization that my body needs lots of protein- something I never believed in. I too am after that lean athletic body and I have really been working hard to eat well and often to achieve that. It can be really challenging when your not supported or when people judge you because they don’t agree with your path.. and I am a sensitive person so it really bugs me.. However- I know now that I’m not coming from that place of self-harm and that being the athlete/ fitness teacher-I am not the norm in most cases.. and instead of being ashamed of that I am proud.. I know I work hard and I hope that in the future I will be able to inspire my students to push their limits and work hard to achieve their own goals.

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Coco thanks for sharing! It is challenging when you are not supported by others, but just know we are here supporting you :) HUGS

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free March 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Such a great post! I think people get too caught up in labels and it ends up being constricting in a way that could be detrimental. I think the best policy is just moderation and doing what works for you!
Gabby @ Gabby’s Gluten-Free recently posted..Lately…My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Gabby moderation is a great policy :)

Teresa March 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I want to know where to get duck eggs- I would like to try those myself. I am with you- I hate labels. I eat healthy-the end. You do too obviously because you are both beautiful ladies inside and out!

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Teresa, we get ours from our local health food store. I would try a local farmers market and speaking with some of the farmers as they might know of some in the area where you lived.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama March 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm

SO hard to have people be so judgy. It is all about what works for you and your body. My diet changes as my body needs diffrent things. Not until I was pregnant did I really let myself listen to my body and feed it what it wanted . Ialwas just ate what I thought I should be eating and then having days where I ate everythign I “shouldn’t” eat. Ugh. It was not a good place. Thanks for sharing your honesty and healthy outlook. :) You both are an inspiration!
Kristin @ STUFT Mama recently posted..What You Got?My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

thanks Kristin!!!

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) March 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm

As soon as I stopped eating sugar I noticed amazing changes, my skin cleared up and I no longer felt bloated and “ugh” all the time. I have started eating alot more vegies and less gluten too which is working well for me. I think the hardest part is when people say “Why are you on a diet, you are skinny enough as it is etc etc” i’m not on a diet I’m eating healthy and choosing not to eat certain foods that don’t work for me.
Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) recently posted..Film Review: Hungry For ChangeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

well said Jessica! and yes we notice sugar effects our skin.

AlexandraFunFit March 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I’m with you; eat what works best for your body. I’ve had many students in the past who confuse that statement with “Eat what tastes best,” but I think most people are trying to do their best. Anyone who judges never had adult acne! Twins don’t let twins get hassled, so go for being 100% perfectly YOU!

carrie March 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Great post! Totally agree we are always changing, learning, improving. I am currently vegan and mostly raw, but continue to read and learn and try to give my body what it wants (melty chocolate most of the time – ha!). I enjoy seeing how your eats change – it gives me all sorts of new ideas. No one should judge or label. It’s ridiculous to force yourselves into some tiny box to please others. You guys are always inspiring to me! (ps: my Twincakes package just arrived – OMG the chia brownies and cinnamon dough balls are awesome!!!)

carrie March 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

sorry – just caught up on the newer comments, and totally agree with Ela that people judging you is mostly about their own insecurities!! I hate when people even ask if im vegan… and then watch everything i put in my mouth, as if they are trying to catch me in a lie. ugh.

bitt March 22, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I understand that you are changing. I have tweaked my diet a lot lately too. It is always hard for me when I heard someone who used to eat vegan doesn’t anymore, but I am learning that not everyone was an ethical vegan so I have to not assume that when people call themselves vegan. It’s been a learning process. It is really really hard for me to see pictures that include animal products in your posts, I keep 99% of my reader vegan and it’s emotional for me to see dead animal products. But I know you still have recipes that are vegan, GF and raw and one of the very, very few that does raw and low glycemic so I need that resource. I am sorry that people are giving you a hard time about it. I am being honest here but not judgmental. Hope you can appreciate that.

Lisa March 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hi girls,
Great posting! I just recently started following (and loving!) this blog, so I’m not sure whether you may have already answered my question or not, but I am curious about the research you’ve done. Do you have a list of the books you’ve read that have most influenced you? I’ve read Thrive, and really enjoyed it, and I’m always looking for other inspiration. Have you read Eat to Live, by Joel Fuhrman? That’s the book that has really inspired me to make significant lifestyle changes.

lindsay March 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm

oh girls, i hear! i feel like our “diet” changes each time we transition in life. It depends on our needs. Right now, you are focused on staying stress free and nourished. This food works for the time being.
When i got married, our foods changed and our diet changed. Not any worse or better, just different. I love your approach because its a way of life, not about calories.
lindsay recently posted..Bueno and “Bulb”aliciousMy Profile

Kate March 22, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Love this post, I hate putting titles on diets I just eat what my body craves and it seems to work out. . I feel that diet is an evolution and everyone does not find the same diet works for them. Listen to your bodies!!
Kate recently posted..greek pasta saladMy Profile

Lou March 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Well said, ladies, you guys have the right attitude for sure :)
Lou recently posted..friendly bars made even more mateyMy Profile

Julie March 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Great blog post! I think it’s important for everyone to find foods that work for them (I don’t like the word ‘diet’) and make them feel great. My food choices have completely changed over the years as I’ve learned more about nutrition and different cuisines, etc. I find your blog inspiring; I have various food allergies and am constantly shifting around my diet to find foods that work for me.
Julie recently posted..Sweet & Creamy Buckwheat PuddingMy Profile

Sara March 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Thank you for this post! I’ve been a vegetarian since I was about 9 (by my own choice–not my parents’), a vegan since I was about 15, and for a period of 2 years in high school, I was a raw vegan. Now I am 22, about to graduate from college, and for the first time considering that my current vegan diet may not be ideal. I’ve THOUGHT about adding certain foods back in, but feared my body’s reaction and that other people would judge me…or give me that “told-ya-so!” we all loathe so much :P After reading this, however, I feel a bit more empowered to experiment a little more with what I eat, because it’s MY body after all, and I honestly do not care what other people think of how I eat. I should not be afraid to adapt how I eat to find what is best for me. Thanks again :)

Nikki FYC March 24, 2012 at 8:09 am

Lately my mantra has been “The only thing constant is change”. I love that you’re listening to your bodies and are willing to try new things and make changes to achieve optimal health. I’ve followed your blog for a few years now and have enjoyed reading about your dietary changes and how your bodies have responded. My diet has changed drastically over the past few years as I’m always trying to feel my best.

As some others have mentioned, I do get a little bummed about the animal foods, but I love that you still make healthy vegan stuff too. No judgment, just my own personal feelings about that topic.

I’m glad you’re keeping us in the loop with your changes and keeping your blog true to who you really are. Authenticity is the best. I’m looking forward to following your adventures in health, wherever they may go…. :)

Eryn @ Pumpkin's Pantry March 25, 2012 at 9:41 am

What a wonderfully written post and a great message! I think we all get into traps when we try to find the “one diet” that will somehow miraculously work for us all. There are many things I have learned over the past few years of trying to eat better for my specific needs- but being balanced and avoiding extremes is sop huge for me! I loved that you said you weren’t “100 % anything”. That is such an important message for all of us to hear- that there is no one-size fits all diet. You know you the best and you are the best judge of what works better for you than any “diet expert”! Thanks so much for posting :)

Sarah March 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I love this post. It is soooo important to find YOUR needs for YOUR body and do away with the identies and labels! It seems like many of us start to identify as one thing and then feel like we cannot change…then comes the whole denial/guilt/binge/food obsession cycle! For years I had “vegan police” in my head…then came “raw police”, “grain police”, “fat police”, “peanut butter police” and the ever present “sugar police” and it’s all BS!

After many years of obsessing, I’ve finally found something that works for me and I’m sticking to it! I can adapt it as time goes on but for now I’m truly happy with my body, my mind, my food, my pleasure, my skin, my social life and my sanity! You will find this too and when you do it’s like heaven.

The key for me was no deprivation and eating truly for pleasure….I had “said” this before but never truly lived it until recently! Pleasure for me is of course CHOCOLATE- sometimes raw treats but sometimes an honest to goodness dark chocolate candy bar…along with fruits, nut butters, enormous green salads, sweets like honey and dried fruit, REAL COFFEE (ok, decaf but no more of this herbal tea farce!), lots of raw stuff like coconut and avocado but some new loves I hadn’t even considered before like goat or sheep cheese and yogurt…who knew! It’s all allowed…I put an END to that voice in the background that always said, “well, you should have blah blah blah” that left me unsatisfied…I welcomed the voice that said, what would be perfect right now? Sometimes it’s decadent, sometimes light but it’s always the right thing at the right time. Plus I’m such a health food nut that I know it’s never going to be Mcdonalds and white bread so I feel really confident in my choices :)

I love to indulge…and indulgence for me feels satisfying and sexy, whereas food rules and deprivation are not. Best of luck ladies, you are great inspirations for all of us!

Erin March 26, 2012 at 9:52 am

Your post really resonated with me since my diet has undergone a lot of changes in recent years (mainly due to severe skin issues). Among the list of foods I no longer eat is chocolate or anything with cocoa. According to my naturopath chocolate is one of the biggest culprits of her clients’ skin issues. My skin cleared up big time after cutting it out – I recommend giving it a try as well.
At the end everyone’s diet is very individual and you need to do what’s best for you. Keep up the great work!! :)

(what runs) Lori March 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Hello! YES! I love you! This is the way to think! I do believe we all have to find our own “diet” path- and diet meaning what we eat. In doing so we find out what makes us feel best (hopefully!) and the things that don’t go bye bye. :)

100% anything is boring, restricting, and makes me a little crazy.
(what runs) Lori recently posted..Metabolic MondayMy Profile

Amanda March 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm

“Perfect people aren’t real” – so so true! One size definitely does not fit all when it comes to “diet” and lifestyle. I really love how open you both are with all of us (the rest of the world) with where you’ve been and where you’re at. And reading your blog, FB posts, etc. really pushes me to find the right “diet” for myself too, and gives me motivation to push through all the hard moments when I feel like throwing my hands in the air and saying, “screw it – I guess I’m just messed up for life.” Thanks ladies :)

Lori and Michelle March 27, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Amanda, glad we have been able to help you out!! keep finding what works for you, but as we said looks like we will always be changing our diet ;)

Lisa March 30, 2012 at 10:51 am

I just read this now, and I absolutely love this post! I find it great to hear about your different experiences, and that you don’t follow a specific label! Something I struggle with, and I think lots of people out there do. I think everyone is different, and that is why I don’t like reading books or anything on a specific diet where they convince you to eat like them. It’s great that you are expressing this to your readers too! Thanks for the post, have a great weekend!!
Lisa recently posted..Fitness FavesMy Profile

Koko June 10, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I love this post!! You have to do what is right for YOU! I contribute to OGP, and have a food blog, and am working on starting a raw/vegan delivery business, BUT I am not 100% raw, I am not 100% vegan, heck I’m not even 100% vegetarian (I eat seafood sometimes.) But this works for me, and it has worked for years. I looooove raw foods and vegan foods though and eat them a huge amount of the time though. I don’t want to be criticized for that either- to each their own. Good for you two!
Koko recently posted..Birthday Par-Tay!My Profile

Rachel @ The Mallory Report July 3, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I love this post! I feel the same way about people being too judgmental about my diet and have been hesitant to share the details of how I eat on my blog for that reason. I focus on eating unprocessed, whole foods and it’s been working really well for me! Good for you for sharing what works for you. If anyone is critical, it’s more about their own insecurities than anything that you’ve said.

Anna February 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

I found your blog when looking for gluten free, dairy free chocolate recipes. I have had irritable bowel all my life with diahrea. I love my chocolate though! I am now trying to do the gluten free, dairy free and somewhat follow the Eat Right 4 Your Blood type diet.
Before, I couldn’t eat salads and many veggies. I just made some ghee and am eating some salads.

I love that you girls are sharing your experiences and giving great recipes. Everyone has to find what works for your body, and be proactive in your own health. I find you two refreshing! As for judgements, you know what they say-What other people say about you is none of your business.
Rejoice in the fact your have so many people interested in what you have to offer, it is all good!
Keep on truckin’

Marlie August 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm

This is such a great post. I have struggled with digestion, skin, diets, feeling full…forever! Each diet has a draw back, and is so extreme. Customizing and being flexible is the key…I used to think soy was my answer to being dairy free, but then, bam! medication interacts with soy and I can’t have it…grains? up and down with digestion, vegan..or totally raw? totally starving.. elimination after elimination..one thing gets better and the other gets worse… I just love knowing that others are on the same journey of making a customized diet..The Marlie diet will be ever changing and always personal, and your recipes have helped me find solutions that no diet book ever could! Thank you!