green smoothie recipes

by Lori and Michelle on March 8, 2012

today we thought we would quickly share the type of green smoothies we have been enjoying lately. we get a lot of questions about what is in them, etc. green smoothies are something we have enjoyed for a few years now, one thing we are grateful about the raw foods lifestyle teaching us – blending up our greens!

basically we try to keep the green smoothie simple. more on the savory side.

we enjoy just about 1 a day. we love the way smoothies fill us up. the only down side we have with them is that they are over too quickly. being in liquid form we tend to just guzzle them up through our glass straws. love these things! anyone else have glass straws?

below we share some of our latest green smoothie recipes

savory green smoothie

green smoothie 1 – serves 1-2

• 3-4 cups water
  • 1 avocado
  • 6 stalks collard greens
  • handful dandelion leaves
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds
  • 1 juice of a lemon + zest (or lime would be fine)
  • drops of stevia to taste
  • spoonful sunflower lecithin (optional but we love it as it really helps bind and make smoothies really smooth)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric (for reducing our inflammation)

avocado smoothie

green smoothie 2 – serves 1-2

• 3-4 cups water
  • 1 avocado
  • 6 stalks collard greens
  • handful parsley leaves
  • juice of 1 lemon and zest
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric (again for controlling our inflammation)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp hemp oil
  • spoonful sunflower lecithin
  • drops of stevia to taste

raw green smoothiegreen smoothie 3 – serves 1- 2

• 3-4 cups water
  • 1 avocado
  • 4 large handful of kale (we like to de-stem ours)
  • 1 handful of fresh spinach
  • 1 juice of a lemon and zest
  • drops of stevia to taste
  • 1 in fresh peeled ginger (sometimes more, as we just love it)
  • spoonful sunflower lecithin (optional)
  • 1 tbsp Udo’s omega oil blend

Directions for all the smoothies:

Place water into Vita-Mix or any blender, next add in your avocado and greens. Blend till combined. Then add in remaining ingredients and blend to nice and smooth. *make sure everything is well blended! sometimes it takes a few minutes.

and that is it. best way to enjoy green smoothies is through the glass straw we must say. Gary even loves his smoothies through a glass straw.

as you can see most of our green smoothie recipes are very similar. we know what we like and stick with it. we just rotate what greens we get for variety as each dark leafy green provides different nutrition! lately we use stevia to sweeten our smoothies as we are trying to eat no fruit to help keep our sugar levels low to help  with our skin.

we enjoy green smoothies when we are out and about running around town. great travel food!

sometimes we enjoy a protein based green smoothie

protein green smoothie

protein green smoothie – serves two

• 3-4 cups water
  • 6 stalks swiss chard
  • 1 in fresh peeled ginger
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 scoops protein powder (we used Vega)
  • 1 banana

blend all our smoothie ingredients in Vita-mix till smooth and creamy!

if you are new to green smoothies we suggest you use fruit to help sweeten them. like we said we are watching our sugar intake so we rely on stevia. the only time we use a fruit lately is if we are making a protein based smoothie and not an avocado based one. as we need like that creamy texture for our smoothies either from a banana or avocado. you just have to find what you like!

here are some other green smoothie recipes of ours:

grape fig kale smoothie

savory raw egg yolk green smoothie

jalapeno pepper savory green smoothie

cilantro basil apple smoothie

fig raspberry hemp smoothie

beet avocado smoothie

um, and this is just a few. it is safe to say we love green smoothies.  not only do we love the taste of them. but our bodies, wait let us be more clear, our stomachs really like smoothies. having a slow digestive system and dealing with constipation and gas, smoothies help us enjoy food without the tummy ache. yes there have been a few times when we do get some gas or uneasy feeling in the tummy. but overall we really enjoy our smoothies!

what about you? any other green smoothie lovers out there? do you like avocado in yours? do you like sweet or savory green smoothies? who else loves fresh ginger as much as we do?

**what to know more about sunflower lecithin check out our posts on it here and here. we share what it is and why we love it.

L&M

speaking of smoothies, we are getting hungry… time to go make our smoothie for the day!

char eats greens March 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

All of these sound wonderful and delicious looking! I like the idea of just subbing in new greens…it’s a great solution for what you may need to use up soon in the fridge! I really want to get my hands on some sunflower lecithin soon!!!
char eats greens recently posted..brutalitiesMy Profile

Nicole March 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hi twins! I’ve actually been reading your blog for about a month now, but have never commented. Your recipes are so inspiring and you are so personable. I really love that about you girls. These smoothie recipes look wonderful! I recently picked up kale for the first time and was looking for some green smoothie inspiration so needless to say, you have perfect timing!!

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Nicole thank you so much!!! You are so sweet, thank you so much for commenting :) it is always great to hear from our readers!!!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate March 8, 2012 at 10:21 am

I always make my green smoothies sweet with banana or berries– I should try a savory version!!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Two Years Ago, Today…My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Anna berries and bananas are great options

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 8, 2012 at 10:39 am

Ahhh I love these recipes!! I would rock the ginger one as I LOVE ginger and its properties!!! MMMMMM! Lately I’ve only been having green smoothies with protein, but I never think to have one sans protein, I will have to! I feel I need a Vita to get a really good GREEN smoothie…everything else leaves it leafy still ;)

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..No Grain Blueberry Almond Muffins {Sugar Free}My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm

ya Vita is the best for creamy smooth smoothies ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

Love how green smoothies make me feel!!! Gosh nothing energizes me like them. I definitely make mine more sweet with fruit.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..how many sets should you do for strength gains?My Profile

The Delicate Place March 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

honestly i’ve never tried a savory green smoothie! i’ll have to give it a go! i love my glass dharma straws! i try to sip them slowly :) it’s hard though since they are so delicious!
The Delicate Place recently posted..the modern old fashionedMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

we hear ya on that Melissa. ya we still add in a little stevia to make it a little sweet but too much ;)

bitt March 8, 2012 at 11:26 am

I am glad you posted this since I had a question for you about it. I noticed you were drinking savory/no sweet fruit smoothies but then in the same post you’d be having a banana as a snack. I wasn’t sure why you avoided the fruit in the smoothie but not later on. Do you notice blended fruit has a different reaction? Just curious your thinking there.

I have a hard time with a savory green smoothie concept unless I can trick myself into thinking it’s soup and I have to put more herbs in it then. I prefer green juice if I have to do without fruit.

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Bitt the only time we have been having a banana as a snack was when we travel. because it is so easy and most places we go have that for us to eat. so usually we avoid fruit if possible.
in terms of blending fruit and having it plain we notice no difference. we like them both ways.

Lisa March 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

Your smoothies look similar to mine! I keep them simple, kinda thin, and really smooth! I also try to keep it savory, or it makes me crave sweets…
Lisa recently posted..Sweet Onion Sliders with Roasted Tomatoes and Blue CheeseMy Profile

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

YUM! Those look fantastic! My friend Kate just tried a green smoothie for the first time yesterday and she couldn’t believe how good it was! I think they’re prefect for when my greens are on the verge of going bad!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..[Thai] Family DinnerMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 8, 2012 at 11:55 am

The third one sounds fabulous! They all do, but that would be my pick to make one if I was going to right now ;)
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..Haute Couture Time at Paris Fashion WeekMy Profile

katie @KatieDid March 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Smoothies just don’t really do it for me, I’m not sure why! I like chewing and different textures and tastes, and I’m just plain bad at making smoothies. Maybe if I figure out some recipe I actually enjoy the taste of I might like them a little more. For now I’ll stick with my greens in salad form though.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..I FrozeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

the funny thing Katie is that salads don’t do it for us, we have been noticing when we eat our large salads we have huge stomach pain. guess it shows everyone is different ;)

Katy March 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Why would you not eat fruit?! :0

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

yikes! you girls are bold! i gotta have some berries in my green smoothies :) probably why they’ll never be as green as yours!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Gluten-Free Banana BreadMy Profile

Samantha March 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

OMG! I put dandelion greens in a juice one time and I put way too much and I swear I thought I was going to die!!! I have been scared to use them ever since!!
Samantha recently posted..Manna Organics Review and Giveaway!My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

haha we have done that before as well. now we try to get it slow, but we know how good dandelion greens are for us so we try to eat them from time to time. usually that smoothie has to get more lemon and stevia.

Lauren March 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great ideas! I love my green smoothies and I love sunflower lecithin!
Lauren recently posted..Can’t Beat These Eats!My Profile

Ela March 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Yes, I adore ginger! And lemon, and all the other goodies you put in yours. Turmeric and slippery elm are regulars for me right now. I like to make my smoothies thick and consume them really slowly–I’ve seen some people swallow them down as if they were water, and I’d feel totally sick if I did that.

I put little avo in my pudding/smoothie at lunch today, but that was the first time in months–I used to put it in every day. I guess I’m in a phase of being afraid of the omega 6 in avo, plus they’re so expensive. I usually put in some of my coconut kefir cream.
Ela recently posted..Finding a Rhythm at the Wobbly Point, Comfort Zone CommunicationMy Profile

Jessica Nazarali March 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I have never had Kale in smoothies before, something to put on my list of things to try!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Amazing! I never tried to add turmeric to my green smoothies before, but it sounds like a great idea!

Rebecca March 10, 2012 at 4:07 am

Great combos! I’ll have to try adding turmeric to help inflammation, never thought to put it in my smoothies. Thanks! What do you think of the Vega Sport protein powder? Actually, that question should be, does it taste good? I might get my husband to drink more smoothies if I could find a protein powder that tastes good but isn’t off the wall expensive.

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 6:04 am

Rebecca, we think the Vega Sport is good. we like it. I make smoothies for Gary with it and add either a banana or some frozen fruit to it. and he seems to like it.

Allyce March 11, 2012 at 2:44 am

I love my glass dharma straws! My Dad bought me 2 for Christmas and I swear they intensify the delish flavour of my smoothies! And they are so durable – perfect for a klutz like me =) The other morning I knocked over my glass full of green smoothie onto the floor and the although I lost half of my smoothie which was quite sad, the straw didn’t get a scratch!
Allyce recently posted..It’s the way we get there…My Profile

Liz March 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I’m curious about all the things you guys eat in a week; I’d love for you guys to post a week’s worth of food/daily intake to see the balance you have managed to work out for yourselves, dietwise.

Kasandra March 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Thank you for posting this! I am always looking for sugar-free smoothie recipes as I am on a no-sugar at all diet to help clear up my skin myself! (I am doing more of a candida cleanse. I recently went off the pill after 5 years and it really messed my skin up, but this new diet seems to be working quite well). I am a bit scared of collard greens though, I will admit. Perhaps this will be my first try!

Just discovered your blog tonight and am really enjoying it—thank you for all of your honesty!

Lori and Michelle March 24, 2012 at 7:57 am

thanks Kasandra! :)

Amanda December 7, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Can you taste the greens in this? I would love to get all this nutrition in my day but am quite terrified…

Lori and Michelle December 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Amanda if you use bananas and start with a little green, no you cannot taste it

Maggie January 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hi! I just came across your website and love it! I could use advice from green smoothie drinkers though. I make smoothies every morning for breakfast, mainly fruit with chia seeds, tea, spinach, etc. and I use an awesome green powder. But I’ve been trying to get away from the powder and get some real unprocessed greens in. What fruits (I love tart) cover up that green taste the best and what greens are a little more delicate tasting in your opinion? Thank ya so much in advance!

Lori and Michelle January 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Grapefruit is great to use if you like tart, and romaine and spinach are good neutral greens.

green smoothie recipes August 9, 2013 at 5:55 am

I always make strawberry smoothies, very boring, this has given me so many more ideas – thanks x
green smoothie recipes recently posted..Strawberry Coconut Water Smoothie RecipeMy Profile

meredith July 15, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hello! Your recipes sound great! The only issue I have is that my greens never seem to fully blend.. I’m stuck with a bunch of little leafy chunks… any suggestions? I don’t want to waste all of my wonderful greens :-( … I’m using a ninja blender.

Lori and Michelle August 2, 2014 at 11:42 am

Blend the greens first with either water or milk. Then add everything else in.

Lori and Michelle August 2, 2014 at 11:45 am

Blend the greens first then add the rest of the ingredients.