how to make pulp bread/crackers (raw and baked)

by Lori and Michelle on March 5, 2012

Happy Monday luvs!

everyone have  a great weekend?? we sure did. enjoyed some relaxation as well as made a very big business decision for our bakery yesterday. more on that later.

juice pulp raw crackers

today we finally have the recipe you all have been waiting for….okay maybe our protein thin mints are more exciting than pulp bread-crackers, haha

most people refer to them as pulp crackers although we find them to more bread like than crispy like a cracker. either way you look at it, this recipe is  great way to use up leftover juice pulp

juice veggies

here is what we did for the juice in this video – 4 stalks of celery, 1 beet, 1 small apple, 8 carrots. made 12 oz of juice.

veggie juice

here is the video of us making our veggie pulp bread/crackers

here is another version of our pulp crackers

we cannot get enough of these pulp bread – crackers lately, love them with salads.

we crave them. might sound like a weird craving, but we love the flavor. which as we mentioned in the video, a lot of the flavor depends on the foods you are juicing!!! so please remember that when making pulp bread and crackers. if you use bitter greens, your bread might taste bitter.

we have made a few with a handful of greens thrown in…still yummy to us!

this one we dehydrated overnight and it got real dry and crispy!

we also failed tried to make a pulp bread loaf….not so good.

covered this bad boy and tahini and it was just fine, haha

tahini to the rescue ;) haha seriously could live off tahini

okay now let us know what you think of our pulp bread – crackers

pulp bread crackers

L & M

katie @KatieDid March 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

Tahini and almond butter can often save anything in my opinion, since I refuse to waste just about any food! Loved the video, although I don’t have a juicer I wish I did now just to make these.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Pistachio, Cranberry and Bacon Brussel Sprout SaladMy Profile

peaktimes December 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm

i don’t have a juicer and have been juicing using a blender. it works fine. there are lots of recipes and videos out there to help you. can’t wait to try this pulp bread!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) March 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

i really want to try making these! i always give the juice pulp to our chickens. they get all the “left overs”- banana peels, trimmings from veggies, etc. but i think its time to break out the old dehydrator and try this :)
Felicia (Natural + Balanced) recently posted..When Your Vita Mix Breaks..My Profile

KaterinaBonVora March 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

oh i really should get back to juicing AND making pulp bread/crackers. great to be reminded and this looks tempting enough to get back in the green-zone. hehe thanks!
KaterinaBonVora recently posted..Muse: LibrareMy Profile

Caitlin March 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

What a cool idea! I bet they’d be so good dipped in hummus! Good call covering the failed loaf with tzatziki aka the magic sauce that makes everything better.
Caitlin recently posted..Orlando – Day TwoMy Profile

Caitlin March 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oops you used tahini! Oh well same “healing powers” :-P
Caitlin recently posted..Orlando – Day TwoMy Profile

LizAshlee March 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh, I bet these are the perfect addition to a lovely salad…at least that’s what it looks like! What a creative idea…I wouldn’t have thought to use juice pulp for crackers…amazing! Have a great week!!
LizAshlee recently posted..Get It Done-12-Minute RunMy Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

COME TO MOMMA!!!!!! AHhh I’ve always wanted to try pulp crackers and bread, but I don’t have a stinking juicer!!! Booooo!!!!

Sometimes I make almond meal crackers with pieces of veg, lol!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Lovin’ Likin’ and Lickin’ FebruaryMy Profile

Gina March 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

L&M-
Wanted to tell you that you’ve inspired me to do a plank a day–this is my third week and I’m up to 2 minutes :) Wondering if you have you a recipe that uses the pulp from making almond milk?

Lori and Michelle March 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

we do have a recipe using pumpkin seed pulp, but you could easily use almond pulp http://www.pure2raw.com/2011/07/raw-gluten-free-easy-purple-bread-recipe/

let us know if we can help anymore
Lori and Michelle recently posted..how to make pulp bread/crackers (raw and baked)My Profile

Erica March 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’ve never had pulp crackers but have heard good things. I love how you can see what goes into them!
Erica recently posted..4 Year Giveaway & Chicken Fajita TostadasMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

Love not wasting anything! These look amaaazing!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..March GoalsMy Profile

Felicity March 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

This is SO excellent!
I always feel guilty throwing away the pulp from my juices but didn’t know what to do with them….bread experimenting here I come!

Happy day!

Lisa March 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Yum—I love pulp crackers! I don’t make them often (actually, I haven’t been juicing lately), but now I want to start again!
Thanks for sharing how you do it!
Lisa recently posted..Challenges. AKA Opportunities… And Parfait.My Profile

Lauren March 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm

These look great and such a great way to save money!
Lauren recently posted..Weekend Eats and Diet UpdateMy Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Such a beautiful and simple recipe. Love it!
Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com recently posted..Protein-Rich Salad With Quinoa and Garbanzo BeansMy Profile

Ela March 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Looks totally yummy! I especially love the ones with the greens in them. Looking forward to the protein mints and your special announcement also.
xoxo ;)
Ela recently posted..No-Sugar Maca Mojo Bark (aka White Chocolate Take 2) and New FindsMy Profile

Dr. Evan March 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

haha, I’m sorry but the finished prodcuct of the bread pulp made me laugh a bit. The pulp bread crackers however, really do look like a great addition to the plate of veggies… making it a more complete meal. I like this new idea. And as always, thanks for posting!
Dr. Evan recently posted..Foods To Help Prevent Breast CancerMy Profile

Laury @thefitnessdish March 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thank you!!! I have only seen dehydrated versions of this and always let me pulp go to waste!!! Well my juicer broke but I want a new one soon–so I pinned it :-)
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Chocolate Cherry Energy CakeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm

thanks girl

Alyssa (Down To Earth) March 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

My little sister got a juicer for Christmas and we pondered over what the heck we could do with the fresh pulp after juicing . . .she’s going to be thrilled when she sees this recipe! It’s such a great way to use all that you have – nothing to waste!
Alyssa (Down To Earth) recently posted..Easy Vegan Cut Out Cookies (The stoned, the funny, the angry, and the appropriate)My Profile

Charissa March 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I like what you call them…that sounds way better than pulp crackers! Juicy crackers are cute!
Charissa recently posted..A Cinnamon SolutionMy Profile

Zinedine March 6, 2012 at 4:22 am

Those looks really great! you know, I have worked in a bakery although we never made anything special – mostly just bread! Natural bread.
Zinedine recently posted..Don’t have time for a dogMy Profile

Samantha March 6, 2012 at 6:18 am

I bet these are great!!! I bet you could make them smaller and fatter and have awesome croutons!!
Samantha recently posted..Hurraw! Lip BalmMy Profile

the delicate place March 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

interesting! whenever i make my crackers i don’t add water since they pulp has some residual to soak up with the flax seed. i’ll have to give this a try!

Heathy March 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm

OOOh these look so great girls! Im definitely trying them. Great use for juice pulp! xo
Heathy recently posted..A Tropical RomanceMy Profile

Jennifer April 28, 2012 at 5:53 am

Just threw together a batch after our morning juice! Can’t wait to try them. Been looking for recipes to use the pulp since we started juicing last week. Thanks!!

Bridget June 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm

My friend & I tried to make up a recipe for crackers last night (using the pulp) Then I found your recipe today, SOOO excited to try it because ours didn’t work so well, very bready! Nor did I think to throw the pulp in the food processor! Nor did I add any water! Thank you for posting your recipe!!!

Ginger Oliver August 13, 2012 at 6:18 am

Made pulp crackers last night using pulp (carrot, tomatillo, ginger, celery,) almond meal, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, 2 tsp sesame oil, 1/4 tsp red pepper. After I spread it on the baking sheet and scored it, I sprinkled it lightly with coarse sea salt. I picked the ‘lumps’ of carrot out of the pulp before I processed the mixture and processed it pretty fine and baked it at 350 for an hour to get crispy-er. Love them! Ginger

Brenda Larkey November 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

ohhh, sounds yummy!

Brenda Larkey November 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I made these from carrot pulp and added dried Jalapeno’s, Flax seed, and southwest seasoning! I can’t wait for them to be done:)

rebeccawip January 31, 2013 at 1:07 pm

just made these out of pureed veggies drained out of my vegetable stock. threw in chia seeds and water, smoothed onto tray, covered with some mixed grains (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc…) and threw them in the oven as i dont have a dehydrator. pretty tasty! nice texture. fun andfunny to think im eating crackers made up of veggies lol. thanks for letting me know how to do this without a dehydrator as all other recipes i see on web need one.

Jenni February 11, 2013 at 12:43 am

Hi Girls, love your work.

what spices did you use?

Lori and Michelle February 12, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Jenni it varies every time but love cumin, rosemary basil coriander. Any spices you like will work.

Lucy August 18, 2013 at 3:44 pm

amazing idea. can’t wait to try this!

Junsei September 2, 2013 at 6:56 am

I wanted to thank you so much for the wonderful pulp cracker recipe. It is so tasty and I like the idea of using the entire fruit or vegetable. I’ve tried this both ways, baking and dehydration, and prefer dehydration for that satisfying cracker crunch. So easy, yummy and non-wasteful! Perfect!

Mad Hen February 24, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Love, love, love pulp crackers! I throw in some sunflower and pumpkin seeds, as well. My favourite cracker side is raw guacamole. I just smash up avocado with some pico de gallo and slather it on. :)

Lori and Michelle March 5, 2012 at 10:57 am