natural tips to get acne free skin

by lori on March 10, 2012

Hello Friends!!!

like I mentioned a few days ago, I wanted to give an update on how my skin is doing. how my adult acne is doing. is it getting any better? how am I doing emotionally? am I doing anything different? etc. has my adult acne improved since all my dietary changes from a few weeks ago?

I think so! fingers crossed that it stays this way. that my face continues to improve each week. I pray that it does. I am still learning. so as of now this is where I am. my clear face journey continues…

acne

since the last time I shared all my issues with acne/pimples, whatever you would like to call it, I am doing much better!

in my video I share some natural tips for getting acne free skin

it has taken a very long time to get where I am today. it was no over night success.

more like a few weeks even months to get major improvements with my skin. it was hard at moments not to give up, but with a great support system (thanks Michelle and Gary) I was able to keep going. and thanks to all of you for giving me the strength and encourage to keep going!!

I did a little video of discussing some tips of how I cleared up my acne. my tips for acne free skin!  enjoy.

Pin It

**as I mentioned in the video we are eating no grains, the only thing that we are having that is a grain is our brown rice protein powder. but besides that we are having no grains.

basically I am still doing my doses of Omega 3′s along with more water (instead of 8-10 cups, now doing 10-13 cups) with my MSM powder in it. all the supplements, like holy basil and ashwagandha, are finally working. meaning that I feel like they have really helped with my emotions and stress. plus taking a new supplement, recommended my a few readers (thank you!) called DIM-plus by Nature’s Way, and by taking this pill has really helped too with getting rid of my deep cystic acne like pimples!!!  I plan on continuing all my supplements for a little bit longer.

lately I have noticed a few new pimples, but I am trying out some new makeup, so that might have something to do with it. and I had a little too much sugar these past few days, mostly maple syrup. so I am going to cut back again on my sugar. I let my sweet tooth take the best of me and now my skin is telling me that. but I am not stressing just moving on.

healing acne naturally

I still feel like my hormones are causing issues with my skin. so knowing that, I am thinking of getting another hormone test done through my salvia. there is one test called – one day hormone test – that test the main hormones and all 3 types of estrogen. now just have to see if my health insurance will help cover some.

adult ance skin

I still have a lot to learn about my face – what is and had caused my acne. I do believe that all the issues that I have previously mentioned about how to help acne through diet, omega 3simple and natural  face care routine, and hormones all played a role. just as Michelle and I mentioned in our first acne post, there are many causes of acne. and everyone will see improvements from doing different things. I am happy to say I am glad I am slowly finding my answers for my adult acne. and I am here to tell you that you will too!!

remember whatever your health issue is do not give up! I am proof that a positive attitude and fine tuning some dietary things can really make a large difference.

if you suffer from acne or any skin issues for that matter, Michelle and I feel that these tips will help make a difference in your skin.

thanks for listening as always! xoxo

sorry this post is a little late as we tried to get it up yesterday but we had some video issues, so now you can enjoy it!

Happy Saturday Friends!

Lori

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 10, 2012 at 7:06 am

I think you are beautiful! Your skin is definitely improving! I love that you’re seeing results. Unfortunately, there is no set rule for finding results to a physical problem like acne and changing up your diet really does help. Gluten was definitely giving me deep puss pockets on my face and back. It was horrible. Soy was doing the same thing, but with rashes and horrible digestive issues that I will spare you from hearing about. Thank you for sharing your journey with this. I know it’s hard to share, but you are really helping so many others! Hugs to you both! xoxo
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Tony’s Burn Notice Commercial!My Profile

sophie March 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

it’s great that you are sharing these tips!
i have two questions…what does MSM do? DIM?

thanks so much <3

Sue J March 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

Have had acne my entire life and it is only finally getting better now that I have turned 60! There are SO many factors that it is hard to know what is really causing it. Could it be hormone levels, diet, anxiety/stress, all of the above? I truly believe there are multiple causes. BUT, I started using a specific goat’s milk soap to wash my face a year and a half ago and my acne has all but disappeared! Coincidence?!? Who knows? Just stick with whatever you think works for you!!! Best of luck … and if you want the name of the soap, send me an email. (Did not want to post it here in case that would be inappropriate.)

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thanks Sue! And yes there are multiple causes of acne which sucks ;) haha
So happy that you found something that works for you!!! yay

katie @KatieDid March 10, 2012 at 8:52 am

So happy for both of you that you’re figuring out the path that works for you. If you don’t mind sharing I was curious about the few foods you found out were causing you more inflammation in the allergy test? Keep up the good fight!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..I FrozeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

Katie I will email you more about the test later today! :)

Stephanie March 10, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hope it keeps getting better! About hormonal balances, I suggest eating a raw carrot every day in an empty stomach with some coconut oil and ACV. Raw carrot is supposed to help block absorption of estrogen (from plants etc.) in the colon. You can read more about it here: http://www.thenutritioncoach.com.au/blog/?p=819

Have a great weekened :D
Stephanie recently posted..More grateful when you’re not with it…My Profile

Yvonne March 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

hey! i faced the same skin issues as you in the past few months!! intense acne that never seems to go away. i tired hormone supplements, skin supplements, prescription acne cream, but nothing worked. recently i went to get help from a beautician and she helped make it better with the lasers and facials. but ultimately what i found was the MAJOR thing was SUGAR. you’re right for cutting out sugar! once i significantly reduced my sugar intake the acne instantly went away. i know coz one time i got greedy and ate a donut, and guess what the next day boom back came the acne. :( no i’m battling with the unsightly acne scars!
Yvonne recently posted..Mondays rantMy Profile

Ela March 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hey sweethearts!

Again, so much admiration for your courage and great advice, and reminder to others never to give up. You are so beautiful (you too, Michelle!)

I am dying to know which foods were the allergy culprits–that kind of thing is so fascinating to me. Are you willing to share?

So glad you’re finding the MSM helpful. I had friends in HI who had old scars disappear completely after using it for not very long. I have a scar right between my eyes (from a big papaya falling in my face when I was wearing glasses, lol) and would love to have it fade, but I’ve been taking MSM every morning for a couple years and no luck yet. My MSM is pretty cheap, though–maybe I should get a more expensive kind.

I think it’s definitely likely that coming off bc pills it takes time for hormones to settle down, and then the whole skin situation can be so exacerbated by stress. So I think taking DIM for the sulphoraphanes and indo-carbinols is right on the money, and definitely avoiding heating oils too. Maybe eat lots of broccoli as well as taking the DIM? ;)

Sometimes I’ve found lemons to be really helpful for my skin; other times, they actually irritate it, make me itch. Funny how we’re such moving targets.

Ela recently posted..Sun, Salvaging Breakfast with Lunch, First Nasty Comment–Advice?My Profile

Ela March 10, 2012 at 11:13 am

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. I’m curious about the ashwagandha. I know we’re not the same person, but if I take ashwagandha, it makes me climb the walls with anxiety! I asked my ND about it (after he warned me that would probably happen to me) –because it’s supposed to be an adaptogen, right? He says it’s not really an adaptogen, and that for people with adrenal/mania/anxiety issues, it’s too stimulating. But I know it’s magic for some people–just thought I’d mention my experience in case it’s helpful.

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 10, 2012 at 11:23 am

You are GORGEOUS!!! I just love you and your skin looks amazing!!!

I think Omega’s are so wonderful and have been helping so much! I also agree that grain free is the cure to acne and balancing hormones…its helped for me. I’m embarrassed to say what I’ve been doing….I’m on the Clinique 3 Step with the B. Peroxide stuff…and its cleared right up…..eeeekkkk….even my scars! I feel bad its not natural, but I had to do something and fast!

Zinc and Vit D {LOTS of it} have helped!!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..For The Girls…Armour BraMy Profile

janetha March 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

I couldn’t watch the video right now so I am not sure if you talked about this–guessing no though because it’s really not well known. I started using these rags made by Norwex.. you don’t use soap at all, just wash your face with the rag and warm water. You boil the rag once a week to keep it fresh. It is lined with silver or something like that? Anyway, it has done WONDERS for my skin and I know that lots of my friends who have acne have had the same experience with Norwex. Just wanted to mention it as I know I love trying everything when I have issues (read: GI woes haha)

Love you both!
janetha recently posted..A to Z.My Profile

Sarah @ Serotonin for Breakfast March 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Thanks so much for sharing guys!! I get PMS related cystic zits that drive me crazy. I’ll have to try out the DIM-plus for sure because I think some of my other issues are related to hormone imbalance.
Sarah @ Serotonin for Breakfast recently posted..I’ll stop procrastinating…eventuallyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

yes Sarah try it, I think it will really help!

Lisa March 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Your skin is definitely improving! I am very sympathetic to your problem because just a year and a half ago I suffered the same skin problems! Have you gone to a dermatologist, I really recommend you go see a GOOD doctor who can really help. Also acupuncture was very helpful. And I know you eat a lot of raw veggies and nuts, but for me I found they really irritated my skin so I had to switch to non raw nuts/nut butters and cooked veggies. Also found out I have a mild allergy to mustard greens and basically cutting those out saved my skin! Sorry for the long comment but as I said I’ve been through the same issue and think these things could benefit…definitely go to a naturopath and get a food allergy/sensitivity test done :) I hope things continue to get better for your skin issues. And btw I love all your recipes and workouts, keep it up!

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Lisa, thanks. I did go see a dermatologist and she did not really help, just wanted to put me on an antibiotic and that was it. I have a good naturopath doctor and she is helping. In the video I did mention that I got a food allergy test done. I am avoiding the foods it said for me, but I have not noticed a 100% improvement from me avoiding them so that is why I am see doing other things.

I do not really eat that much raw nuts or raw veggies. Mainly raw veggies are through juices or green smoothies. and then for dinner and snacks I steam my veggies. I rarely have any nuts anymore, maybe once or twice a week.

So glad you found what worked for you :) xoxo

Lisa March 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Oh also I meant to mention to GET your hormones checked! if you haven’t already!

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

yes Lisa I did do that a few months ago but planning on doing it again

Heather @ For the Love of Kale March 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm

SO happy for you both! :-) Lori, you are so much more positive and assertive and I was smiling from ear to ear seeing how hopeful you are. Seriously…just so happy for you!
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..New Vlog: Trader Joe’s Trip!My Profile

JennyO March 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thank you for this… I have it around my lower face … mainly from my nose around to my chin. They come in hard and painful. I’m 40! I had the most beautiful skin up to my 30′s so I know its mainly a hormone thing. But any time I use anything on my skin like a cream? Oh it’s ON … my skin gets mad and shows it. I stick with one lotion – all others terrify me. I started doing Omega-3 in Fish Oil for cholesterol, I had no idea it would benefit my skin! YEA. I’m still going through some of your other information.

Thanks for posting! I really think you both are fantastic in your outgoing and wonderful lives. That you share it is even more endearing. The workout links are a great resource for me as well. I get bored if I don’t keep the variety factor. ;o) Have a fantastic weekend.
JennyO recently posted..Hello and a Workout WrapupMy Profile

Helene @healthyfrenchie March 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

You look gorgeous! I am so happy you found a way that works for you :) I remember having pimple on y chest at one point, and for me it was pastried that did it (Butter and sugar together is BAD).
May I ask how you got your food allergy test done? Food allergies run in my family, my brother is deadly allergic to lactose. i wish i could get tested easilly
Helene @healthyfrenchie recently posted..On body imageMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Helene thank you, and the food allergy test was Elise testing. took me awhile to find a doctor that used this. i will try to do a post soon on this.

Karine March 11, 2012 at 3:18 am

Hey!

I’m following your acne issues since a little while. I got the SAME thing… but, this was also related to my pregnancy… After giving birth, I was breastfeeding and did not have my period for 12 months. When it came back, I had my face full of acne. I still have a little.. I had nothing to do… I went to see a naturopath and she suggest I take Vittex (it’s a plant… ). You can find it here: http://www.clefdeschamps.net/fr/produits/extraits-liquides/teintures-simples/138-teinture-vitex

It’s a hormonal tonic. Within a wekk, I had 80% less acne…. you should try it, it’s all natural!!!!!!

Lisa March 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Great update!
Isn’t it crazy how many things you can do for your skin?! There are so many things to try, and like you said, you try things and adjust as you go.
I’m at a good place with my skin—the best ever actually. It’s hard to pinpoint what makes things worse and what is the thing that’s helping… I seriously believe in the no sugar/grains for myself, and the niacin supplements seem to be great for me too.
Lisa recently posted..Friends as FamilyMy Profile

Paula March 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hello Ladies,

Lori you are such a darling and so brave! I found that progesterone cream sold over the counter( Emerita ProGest) in health stores and used from day 10 thru beginning of the period was helping me with acne. Check it out… good luck and thank you!

Alicia March 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hey Girls!

Thanks for the advice. I have a question and a comment… question.. how much MSM do you use? Like do you put in all the water you drink? I just got some and it said to use 1 scoop a day but the scoop is like 1/4 teaspoon or so…. then my comment, have you tried going to an esthetician? (not sure if you mentioned that)I have gone to one and she does “acne treatments” which seem to help and some other stuff. Its painful for part of the appt cause she extracts the cystic acne… anyways just thought I’d tell you. Good luck!

Lori and Michelle March 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Alicia Lori is working on a follow up post to more about what she is doing. But if you new to MSM start small and then over time increase. So start with the serving the suggestion in your total water for the day. Then increase it over time!

Sam March 12, 2012 at 6:10 am

I know this is very personal but do you have regular period? I mean really regular one (28-30days) I have found on myyself that when I workout really hard I do not have regural period and then my face is so bad so so bad but when I slow down and have again like 3 regural cycle my face clean up and stays clean. My doc told me that my body can not handle it that many women have this problem when workout but I wanted clear face so I have swithed from HIT, BODYROCK to walk and yoga and after 6 months I have skin like baby

Jenny March 12, 2012 at 6:56 am

I am a big fan of the blog and love all of the recipes and tips posted! I currently work for a dermatologist but have been in the skin care industry for a few years now. I am more concerned with treating skin with natural products over chemical and rx ones. I was wondering your current skin care regimen and any allergies or sensitivites you might have to ingredients, also If you are only open to all natural approaches.

Igor March 15, 2012 at 1:55 am

As a doctor I really suggest what one reader has written cut back on HIT Tabata etc. Do very light excercise walk yoga do it for month no hit and you will see result. Your skin looks much more better omega 3 helps for sure. But have your tried to do different workout lets say for month or two? I have many patiens that workout makes their skin terrible dues to stress hormones during workout. So just give it a try

Lori and Michelle March 15, 2012 at 6:33 am

Igor thank you but we have done this before. a few months ago we did drastically reduced our HIIT workouts. and did not notice much change. but we still try to keep our workouts less intense. thank you for sharing!!

Igor March 15, 2012 at 7:59 am

For how long have you tried it? It takes from 1-6months to have results. When you workout hard for years it just take longer for body to deal with stress that is put on it during workout.

Liz March 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I love the videos you guys do; they’re so informative and interesting. Plus, you’re just TOO cute! You should just do an ALL VIDEO site! Heehee! :)

sophie March 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Hi :)

I was looking for recipes and some health information and when I came across the following website, I thought of you two. I am not sure if it’ll be of any help – but I am passing it along anyway!

Take good care!

Lori and Michelle March 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Sophie! we will check the link out

sophie March 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Hey girls!

DId you check out the article? Find any helpful hints??

I hope so.

From what I remember from what you said before – the acne has to do with hormones…
Recently, a holistic nutritionist told me that to balance hormones – a good ‘remedy’ or protocol rather is 1-2 TBSP of raw honey + raw bee pollen every day. (I have hormone issues as well) …and you do it for a month and see! I dunno. I just wanted to throw something out there!

Have a great weekend!

April May 14, 2012 at 7:19 am

Have you ever tried Maca powder? It’s a root that comes from high in the Andes mountains that works really well to balance hormones (among a plethora of other amazing capabilities). It tastes sort of like butterscotch, and I usually add it to my green smoothies in the morning. Might be worth a shot – I’ve had nice clear skin since I started using it – and its only been a few weeks now. You can get it at whole food stores, or I just get an organic version at my local bulk food store for fairly cheap.

Lori and Michelle May 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

yes we use Maca, great stuff

Christy May 18, 2012 at 12:04 am

Just subscribed to you gals a few days ago. I already love your subject material! I too out of nowhere have adult acne around my mouth and chin. It’s embarrassing and a complete self esteem ruiner. I have hope like you do though! I never heard of msm for acne i usually take it for joints but good to know! Natural is the best way to go!

Anastasia June 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I had the SAME exact problem and tried EVERYTHING possible,I mean EVERYTHING!!The only thing that will help your skin are natural supplements called SKINELLE,my pharmacist had the same problem and she looked into it,so when I asked her what to do about my problem she gave me those.They are A*M*A*Z*I*N*G!And the best part they are natural!No medication!

Lily August 31, 2012 at 5:42 am

Hiya. Both of you are beautiful! It does look like your skin is clearing up, and I hope your skin continues to improve.

Everyone is different, but in my experience I’ve found that going 100% grain free cleared up my skin completely. I had a small bowl of oatmeal the other day and had a flare up. So it looks like it has to be 100% grain free or nothing in my case.

I don’t use any concealer or foundation and very little makeup. I used to use foundation/concealer years ago but found it only made my skin worse.

A few things that make a huge difference: 1. Coconut oil, both eating it and occasionally using it as a moisturizer (not often though). 2. Zinc Oxide. It’s the active ingredient in a lot of sun blocks, but I prefer water based diaper rash cream because it doesn’t contain a list of other ingredients. Diaper rash cream is just zinc oxide and water (or petroleum jelly in many cases). Nothing else. Sun block, even a lot of “natural” sun blocks, contain a bit of zinc oxide and a bunch of other chemicals. Also, diaper rash cream is less expensive and the concentration of zinc oxide is much higher (the one I buy is 40% zinc oxide). 3. Epsom salts. Sooo good for your skin and for giving yourself detox baths. Excellent stuff all around. I put 1 cup of epsom salts along with half a cup of baking soda and half a cup of sea salt in a bath of warm water, then sit in it for as long as possible while reading a book. Clears up my skin like nobody’s business. 4. Tea tree oil. 5. Goat milk soap.

Hope this helps. Have a great rest of the summer.

Lily August 31, 2012 at 5:43 am

Oh, one last thing: witch hazel extract. Does wonders for my skin too!

sara rai January 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm

i can understand very well, how is it like to have acne, it makes us feel everything the way we don’t like to , i too had acne and in fact had it worst for 5-6yrs, now i have a very clear skin, it doesn’t feel i had acne before, luckily my skin doesn’t scar much eventually they clear up, but for those years i tried everything in and out whatever i could find, every suggestions i could get just to get rid of those, some helped some made it worse, – its natural to have acne,its us who make it look so bad, but then u can make it look good too, the first thing i did was that i stopped worrying about my acne, that cut me with less stress hormones, avoid taking stuffs you think worsen the condition, stick to the 3steps routine-cleansing, toning and moisturizing (with acne healing properties), do not give up on this ever, exercise is a must but take care u that u do not have any oil substances on your face or hair this would be a terrible mistake, be very minimum about what you apply, as for me i always stick to herbal/ ayurvedic products, it has no or very little side effects, i prefer oxygen based light foundation if i have to though normally i do not need one, let skin breath as much possible, try to take the morning fresh air before sunrise it adds natural glow to your skin, donot over wash your face, it only irritates the condition twice daily is enough, take vitamins or skin supplements if you need, try to highlight other parts of your body if you are concerned about your face you know like your hair, you can have a clear skin but you can never get rid of not having acne, it comes and goes just donot focus on it too much besides you r doing what is possibly can.

Nat J February 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hi Lori,

Thanks for being so courageous and authentic to share your health experiences. I too have suffered from terrible acne, where I was put on a course of accutane twice and refused the third time when the dermatologist wanted me to go on it again. It’s unfortunate that a majority of the health care providers from the medical establishment are unable to understand the link between our diet and skin. I have been able to see a huge recovery of my skin through a gluten free, no nightshade, no refined sugars and no dairy and low glycemic diet. I also personally have added Swedish bitters (which you can make at home) both topically and internally (1 tsp a day w/ 1 glass of water) and it has done wonders with aiding digestion and removing toxins even settling inflammation on the skin. Not sure if you’ve tried this. It’s a big thing in Europe, a friend’s mother had given me some and it’s been soo helpful! Best wishes for your great health and loving the website :)

Donna November 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I bought Citrus Clear products for my 17 yr old son. His skin is sensitive. The Citrus Clear Spot Treatment has cleared up his acne in about two weeks without burning, peeling, or redness. He also says the smell is GREAT – and for acne products that is so rare!

natasha May 11, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Hi, Ive had acne since a teen and im now 34.. I have tried EVERYTHING.. low gi, every cream, paleo etc etc.. I think I have finally found the culprit. I strongly believe that I must have some hormone inbalance to still have acne at this age.. and Ive been taking DIM for a couple of months. I had the horrible cysts all along my chin and neck.. I was still getting some up until recently.. then I decided to drop soya from my diet and try replacing with almond milk.. I have been doing this about 3 weeks now. (I used to have soya smoothie, and in all my coffees etc no dairy) .. since I haven’t had soya my skin has cleared up so much I haven’t had a cyst for about 3 weeks now other than a day I had a soya hot chocolate and broke out the next day on my neck (I tested it and tried soya again another time it happened again.. I really suggest taking soya out of your diet if you have it and offcourse no dairy and avoid high sugar or if you are having high sugar have some protein soon before or after to even out the GI… try it, this is the first time in YEARS I haven’t had a cyst.. xx