Persimmon Tahini Donut

by Lori and Michelle on March 30, 2012

happy friday!!!!!!!!! again, thanks everyone for the congrats on the big news!!! can you tell we are super excited over here?

okay, who likes donuts? c’mon we know you are out there. have we not converted you yet from all our donut love?

we were cleaning up our computers and came across an old folder of this donut that we completely forgot to share with you all.

how could that happen?? :)

so we thought better late than never to share something amazing. plus we tend to have donuts on our mind a lot. we even have whole donut pinterest board.

gluten free vegan donut

and have you seen our recipe page for our donuts? see we are baked donut obsessed, in a good way though.

dairy free tahini frosting donut

there is something about a baked donut that we just love. maybe it is that they are pretty easy to make. or maybe that they are just so cute.

persimmon baked donut recipe

gluten free vegan persimmon tahini donut recipe

not your average donut flavor, eh?

baked persimmon donut

donuts for breakfast

we left these gluten free vegan persimmon tahini donuts on the savory side. we like to make unique pairings sometimes...you know, for something different for the taste buds.

vegan baked donut recipe

Twins Question: What is the most unique flavor pairing? Any favorite combos that might not be traditional?

L&M

katie @KatieDid March 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

I’ve never tried persimmon, but I LOVE tahini as you know and think this frosting sounds incredible. I still haven’t jumped on the donut train but they are adorable and I know I would love them. Photos, graphics… everything about this post is great.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Java Chip SmoothieMy Profile

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 30, 2012 at 6:42 am

I just bought a little doughnut maker on groupon for FIVE dollars! (It was on sale for $15 but I had a $10 groupon-coupon!) hehe I’m so excited! I can finally try all these amazing recipes!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Cookie Dough Granola [for me... and you]My Profile

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 30, 2012 at 6:55 am

I was like… is that nutritional yeast sprinkled all over? It can’t be.. .these are donuts! But wow.. totally this flavor combo would work! I love the idea of enjoying a more savory donut for breakfast. Awesome!
Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit recently posted..Traveling Through India: The BasicsMy Profile

christine @ oatmeal bowl March 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

Oh my! You and your donuts… always delicious. And what a unique but wonderful combination. I love persimmons and tahini!
christine @ oatmeal bowl recently posted..Blogger’s Choice: 7 Favorite Campgrounds in the U.S.My Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 30, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh WOW! These look amazing! I love persimmons and I haven’t had any this year. I thnk I need to change that now and make some donuts too! Beautiful ladies!

I loved your talk on protein powders too. Thank you for the suggestions! I’m definitely buying some new protein powders this weekend too! Have a great weekend!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Potatoes, Hummus and Rooms…My Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 30, 2012 at 11:29 am

I’m not a big fried doughnut fan but when they’re baked I like ‘em! I just find they taste too oily or greasy when they’re fried. These look yummy!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..Embrace the Bright This Spring!My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 31, 2012 at 12:01 pm

thanks Anna, we totally agree

Heathy March 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Ooh these look so great! Looove persimmons – great idea for a frosting. I better check out the donut page and pull out the old donut pan again soon. Happy weekend girls! xoox

Ela March 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Persimmons and tahini = yum! Really caught my eye, as I haven’t seen a persimmon for a few months now.

I still haven’t had a donut in many years–but you definitely make them look enticing. I might have to try making some in muffin cups.

“Weird” flavors–fruit and balsamic vinegar, mint and lemon, basil and pineapple, on and on…
Ela recently posted..Receding Snow, Snow SmoothiesMy Profile

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 31, 2012 at 2:39 am

Tahini is my favorite seed butter! I can’t access the ingredients for the donut, so I think I might just make the frosting and eat a “pudding” :)
Aylin @ Glow Kitchen recently posted..Mango LassiMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Aylin same here, we adore tahini!

GetSkinnyGoVegan March 31, 2012 at 6:32 am
Gena March 31, 2012 at 6:35 am
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 31, 2012 at 8:33 am

Oh me oh my I LOVE persimmon….I’ve never thought about pairing it with tahini. And yet, somehow it makes so much sense….
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..Pen Pal Pot o’ GoldMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

thanks Sarah, we love persmimons too :)

Kristen April 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love how these donuts are baked instead of fried. I just went to a restaurant and had an amazing donut with vanilla icecream, nutella, and cinnamon, but I definitely felt guilty after. I wonder what it would be like to put oatmeal into a donut.. I was thinking about coming up with my own creation but I was curious what you guys think :)

Maddy April 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm

My mom is a huge persimmon fan so I have to make these for her! In general, I’m curious to find out a little more about baking with xylitol as a sugar substitute. I know coconut sugar gives a caramel crunchy flavor in baked, using agave/liquid sweeteners lessens the crunch factor, but do you think you could maybe do a post/just a response about xylitol? Thanks so much!

Alex April 10, 2012 at 3:24 am

Could you sub normal flour for the gluten free? and I can’t find any perssimoms could you use another fruit? I really want to make these they look so yummy!

Lori and Michelle April 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

Alex yes you can sub any flour, just beware of the liquid amount might be change. Start small, not sure if you will need more or less liquid. And yes any fruit for the persimmon would be fine.

Beaming with Health May 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

These look amazing! I was just thinking I wanted to make a new gluten-free, vegan donut recipe and voila this popped into my inbox. I am not sure I can find persimmons right now, any other fruit you recommend to substitute for now? I have tried one of your other donut recipes so I am looking forward to these! Thanks for sharing! -Jessica

Joy DuPuis May 4, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I just made teff and hazelnut flour donuts with ghee and topped them with a raw caramel frosting – little bit o raw with cooked! These look amazing and can’t wait to make them for the family – we are on a GF donut kick!