triple layer chocolate protein brownie mini cakes

by Lori and Michelle on March 23, 2012

happy Friday luvs!

we made it to the end of another long week. nothing beats ending this week with some chocolate right? what about brownies?

we were experimenting in the kitchen the other day like we normally do and came across this simple and low sugar chocolate brownie cake recipe. plus we added in our favorite protein powder to the mix…VEGA!

like we mentioned in our finding the right diet post from yesterday we are trying to keep our sugar intake low and up our protein. one way we are doing this is through having more protein shakes then we normally did in the past. and Vega performance protein is one of our go to protein powders. though any protein powder would work in this recipe.

raw vegan chocolate protein low sugar brownie recipe

we were looking for a recipe that we could enjoy on this new diet of ours and this is what we came up with for a little more elegant looking dessert for those special moments!

not only are these brownie cakes low in sugar. they are also raw so that makes them super easy to make and quite tasty! and we created these so you could flavor them anyway you would like. we did ours of course chocolate and mint. but feel free to make it just vanilla and chocolate, coconut, cinnamon, etc. have a little fun with it.

we kept these raw brownies cakes low in sugar by using a combination of xylitol and stevia. and a banana for a little extra natural sweetness and for a little creaminess to the avocado mousse topping.  the chocolate brownie cakes are based out of cashews which is a nut that our bodies are liking right now. but feel free to use almonds in the recipe instead.

avocado banana coconut oil frostingavocado banana coconut oil mousse like frosting.

paleo friendly low sugar brownie cake recipethe mini chocolate brownie cakes.

just love the cute factor from these little guys. you can eat these brownie cakes as is or can jazz them up with the next two layers! the xylitol in the brownies provides an unique texture to these guys. at first we were not really sure about it but then we kept eating them and realized we kind of like it. again like with most of our recipes please feel free to alter the sweetness in each recipe!

using vega protein powder for a frostingwe wanted to add more protein to this fancy raw dessert so we decided to add in another layer in there. we just used our typical Vega protein powder sludge and added it on top of brownie cake. we used Vega protein chocolate flavor.  *again use any protein powder of your liking and adjust sweetness with more or less stevia if needed to it. and we added in 1/8 tsp peppermint extract. you may flavor it anyway you like. coconut, almond, mocha, etc. or just leave the flavor of the protein powder.

making raw protein chocolate brownies

these mini brownie cakes are so easy to make. just make all the layers and then start layering it up!

vega protein frosting for raw brownieswe just loving making mini desserts because they are so damn cute. and being mini’s is great for portion control. though we admit it is hard to not go back for seconds. especially when they are made of these feel good wholesome ingredients.  what else could you ask for?

mint chocolate avocado brownie cakesavocado banana coconut oil mousse is icing on the cake. we have made a similar avocado base mousse topping before from our pumpkin brownie cupcakes.

gluten free raw protein chocolate brownie recipe

these are great for parties or a fancy dessert to help boost your mood after a hard day of work. we love the coconut oil mixed in with the avocado banana to provide such a creamy and satisfying mousse topping. and what can we say we just love mint and chocolate. loving so many things about this recipe.

though we are thinking of plenty of other yummy flavors we could do with this dessert. like doing cardamom – again another spice we just love! or something with more coconut flavor.

paleo low sugar avocado coconut oil mousse frosting

ahh soooo good! we were just thinking of how good our protein thin mint cookies would be with this. mmmm we will have to try that next time!

happy Friday! hope you enjoyed this tasty super easy low sugar, grain free, gluten free raw vegan ‘fancy’ looking dessert! that is a mouth full. haha

for other news – help out our fellow blogger and our dear friend Lynn from the Actor’s Diet. Lynn is need of some help.  her and her friends are trying to raise money for a movie that they are working on through Kickstarter. a great company that helps small businesses raise some capital through friends helping the business out by donating some money. you can donate as little as $5, remember every little bit counts for a small business :)

check out their campaign page here to read more and to help them out. they have some great videos that explain more about the project. it sounds like a really great idea – a movie about the man’s guide to love! pretty interesting to see what men say about love. thanks!!!!

L&M

mariel March 23, 2012 at 4:42 am

aw these are so cute! love them! avocado just makes such a good frosting… can’t resist. <3
mariel recently posted..A break…My Profile

Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 23, 2012 at 5:32 am

ahh amazing. i really need to live near you girls. happy friday!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Spring Salad: Lime, Avocado & Tomato SaladMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 5:45 am

yes you do Nicole! how fun would that be. all the craziness we could do in the kitchen ;) HUGS

katie @KatieDid March 23, 2012 at 6:59 am

gorgeous gorgeous. I think I want to just eat a whole bowl of the avocado frosting it looks so creamy and delicious. And that middle layer is so simple, who knew just 2 ingredients could give you that texture.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Cracking the Smoothie CodeMy Profile

lynn @ the actor's diet March 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

ah the brownies look delicious! also, thank to you ladies for helping to spread the world about “the man’s guide to love!!!”
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..I Feel PrettilyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 10:06 am

your welcome Lynn! :) HUGS

Stephanie March 23, 2012 at 7:55 am

Looks Delicious!! I think the frosting would be good on plain toast or virtually anything!
Stephanie recently posted..Who needs brownies – Aduki Mochi Recipe!My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

Stephanie thanks, and totally agree!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl March 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

I never had such a sweet tooth until I found your blog. ;)

Delicious! Pinning, of course.
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..15 Healthy Movie SnacksMy Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! March 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

These are so cute! (and delicious-looking) I love the way you present your recipes, so elegant. I definitely dont have all the ingredients around to make these, but I might just have to make some version of that avocado frosting…yum!

bitt March 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

thanks for the date-free brownie idea! love this.

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

your welcome Bitt :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles March 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oooh, yummy! You had me at brownie, but that avocado mousse looks delicious too. I can’t help but love the color :D
Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted..Baked Rosemary Onion RingsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I know Heidi the color gets to us as well, just love it!!

Heathy March 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Yum yum yum, I want one of those!!! Happy Friday girls! xo
Heathy recently posted..Banana Coconut Cream PieMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm

These are adorable! And they sound great. I also just read your post from yesterday and thought it was amazing!!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Fitness Loves of the Week #8My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

thanks Lindsay!

Lauren March 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Drooling over here! Yum!!!
Lauren recently posted..Friday is HERE!My Profile

Lori and Michelle March 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Nicky March 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

These look scrumptious. Do you think I could substitute the protein powder for something else as I have none! I have EVERYTHING else though and would love to make them for tomorrow when I’m having friends over.

N x

Lori and Michelle March 24, 2012 at 7:56 am

Nicky, we would say do some cocoa and some sort of sweetener with it like maple syrup or stevia with vanilla.

Bonnie March 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

WOW…I am so impressed by what you guys create! You have a mind so unlike mine and I LOVE that – and would like to live closer to be your sampler (and workout partner and friend). ;) Great, healthy and creative invention!
Bonnie recently posted..Yolkin’ It Up: 5 Reasons to Eat EggsMy Profile

Rachel March 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I dont have hemp seeds… what can i sub it with? :)

I really wana try this out! Looks sooo gooddddd!

Lori and Michelle March 24, 2012 at 7:56 am

Rachel just do more nut flour.

hihorosie March 23, 2012 at 11:17 pm

yum! Love the layers. Makes it seem even more like a decadent treat.
hihorosie recently posted..Thoughtful ThursdayMy Profile

Ruben March 24, 2012 at 12:47 am

Good post! I’ll definitely be pinning this on pinterest!
Ruben recently posted..Staging Your Home before putting it on the MarketMy Profile

Ela March 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Beautiful and yummy! I love the idea of “sludge” as a cheesecake topper, and so elegant. Chocolate and mint-mmm.

Have you played with glycerol much? It’s super-low-glycemic but I’m not sure about it. I d0n’t think it’s very “natural,” and I think it has a slightly bitter aftertaste.
Ela recently posted..Irish Cream Mousse Recipe, Kneeling Moose, Phil AdventuresMy Profile

Vitamins for Beauty March 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Wow, yum. I wish you two were my personal chefs. Can’t wait to try this but not very keen on bananas maybe will try some vitamixed young coconut or extra avocado!

Thanks for Sharing!
Nicole <3
Vitamins for Beauty recently posted..Sacha Inchi OilMy Profile

Laury@TheFitnessDish March 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm

OMG! Love this recipe! Love the protein frosting idea too!!! I just picked up a tub of the NEW and improved Vega vanilla chai! I got it on sale and had a coupon so I was stoked. I’ve been doing so much with it…it’s definitely my favorite! I’ll be adding your recipe to my rotation!
Laury@TheFitnessDish recently posted..Very Berry Millet PancakesMy Profile

HeathersCreativeConcoctions March 25, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oooo these look so good I love chocolate and mint, sign me up!
HeathersCreativeConcoctions recently posted..Healthy Sweet & Spicy Breakfast “Eggroll”My Profile

Jane April 19, 2012 at 2:27 am

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids :)
I also like the below brownie recipe.

Thanks for sharing,
Jane

Kibby May 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

I just made these with NuNaturals Orange stevia where you used mint extract and WOW! So freaking delicious! The base alone is fabulous, as is the avocado mousse on its own. Thanks, girls! Will be a regular.

Lori and Michelle May 5, 2012 at 11:30 am

Awesome Kibby!! glad you enjoyed the recipe ;)

Kilee May 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

Yum! These look so good! I have recently drastically reduced my sugar intake and of course, had a craving for chocolate cake as soon as I do so ;)

You girls are so talented in the kitchen. Keep up all the good work!!!

TriGirl May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am

Wow! I would never think of this recipe–I’m definitely intrigued!

Jennifer Houser February 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm

These are so delicious! I love all of your vegan recipes, and I just bought the book for my iPad! I ate half of the pan before they went into the freezer!!! I also licked the remainder of the avocado cream from the bowl! That could be a stand alone treat! So nice to have a guilt free sweet treat! Thank you for the recipes and the exercise tips!!! Plank a day keeps the doctor away!

Lori and Michelle March 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

Thank you Jennifer! glad you enjoyed it