DIY wedding details

by lori on April 24, 2012

hello friends!

first thank you, thank you, thank you all so much for the sweet words about our plank video and we are so deeply honored to be such inspirations for so many of you. keep up the great work with your planks!!! promise you will reach your own fitness goals!

well the WEDDING is getting soooooo close! hard to believe it is this Saturday!!

my wedding is a little bit of DO-IT-YOURSELF style.

anyone else have or did a DIY style wedding?

although it is more work, it really does help make the ‘wedding’ and everything involved that much more real. does that make sense? by having all these little projects really helps make you feel apart of the wedding in a different way.

lori's wedding

things that I am (well with help of family and friends too) myself are:

• some of the desserts at the dessert bar (I am getting gluten free vegan cupcakes made for the wedding done by a local health food cafe, I was going to do them myself but decided that was a little too much to handle). other desserts being made by Michelle and I are our chocolate truffles by Twin Cakes, and triple chocolate and key lime cream cakes.
  • designing the wedding ceremony program and making (a post on that soon)
  • designing dessert table labels – used a template from Michaels craft store.
  • design dessert bar – got inspiration from Pinterest boards. Gary’s dad did cut all the wood for the table!
  • designing reception centerpieces – again from Pinterest ideas. using mason jars and vases for them. (a post on that soon)
  • made our own cupcake toppers- got a template from a website. my mom is printing them and cutting them for me. (a post on that soon)

I do plan on sharing how we did all this too! in case those of you would like to do something similar!

most of it has been fairly easy.

here are some things that I have already gotten for the wedding day. some are DIY projects, as others I bought from Esty, JoAnn’s or Michaels.

a quick overview of most things that I am working on these past few days.there is a list of songs for the ceremony for the DJ, labels for dessert tables, guest sign-in book, sand unity materials, items to make my ceremony program

dessert labels for the dessert table. got these from Michaels and used their template to print on. very easy.

our guest sign-in book. I wanted something different and unique for my sign-in book. and Michelle and I came across this book of about love. has great love quotes in there. and I thought that would be perfect. each guests can find a page they like to sign on!

mason jars for the centerpieces for the reception. we are putting flowers and possibly lemons in them. more on that soon.

sand unity for the ceremony. since our wedding is outside we could not do candles. so Gary wanted something for the ceremony, and I just went on google and searched for unity symbols for weddings and sand came across! here is where I bought mine from.

love this idea! anyone else heard of this?

tree stubs slices for the decorations for the rehearsal dinner tables and reception dessert table. we are putting doilies on top. then all the desserts on top of that.

then I bought us girls buttons for our heels, to help make it easier to walk in the grass at the wedding. they are soul mates.

well I am off to go get more things checked off my to-do list.

any tips or other ideas for DIY projects for weddings? love to hear what others have done or seen.

Lori

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’d love to know how you did the script on the labels. Was it by hand? Using a calligraphy kit? My friend is getting married and trying to save money and as she has 230 guests we thought invitations was a big money-saving area – they have some great kits at Michael’s and we all have endless coupons for Michael’s we can give her! So we thought we’d have an invitation-making party where we all go over and help her. I’m sure some of it can use a printer but I wasn’t sure if we’d need to hand-write any and if so how to make it look decent! Any tips you can offer would be gratefully received and passed on :) .

Lori and Michelle April 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm

We did the labels in WORD and it was this font -Lucida Blackletter. It was from the template that the labels we bought provided. It was really easy to use. Yes great way to save money is on invitations, I did my own invitations as well!!
I did get my invitations from Michaels, and it was easy to do once we figured out the alignment to print them off the printer. But it was only $50 bucks or so for about 100 invites. So I felt it was worth it and saved some money. It was fun to do as well!!

Mollie April 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

everything looks so beautiful! You guys are working hard!

My mom and stepdad actually did a sand ceremony for their wedding since it was in the backyard. I had never seen it before and didnt really get it at the time, but the words they spoke while doing it was special and literally shows the blending of two (with the colors) into one. It is in their bedroom now next to their wedding album. I think it’s a really nice idea!! I can’t wait to see more pictures. SO SOON!! My brother is getting married in a month :) yay for weddings.

lindsay April 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

love the do it yourself touch! we did that too! oh it’s gonna be BEAUTIFUL!
lindsay recently posted..Multiple Choice MondayMy Profile

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) April 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

this is exactly my style! i love it ! and i can’t wait to see pics and read all about how you did it. so exciting :)

katie @KatieDid April 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’m sure its so much work but planning a wedding looks like a ton of fun too. I think someday if and when I get married I will be doing it lots of DIY also. I love the mason jars… very cute and you can reuse them for recovery smoothies the next day ;)
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Routines and Sesame Roasted AsparagusMy Profile

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm

This is so great of you. It is going to be so much more special when you put all your personality into it. LOVE the mason jars and wood for desserts. Very Earthy :D :D
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Orange and Berry SaladMy Profile

Sam @ Fit for My Fork April 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I’m so looking forward to doing some DIY for my (eventual) wedding. All your things look great so far – I can’t wait to read some more about it! Congrats and try not to panic too much in the run up to the big day :)
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Sunday Sunday Sunday!My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm

thanks Sam!! I am trying haha

Lisa April 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm

So many great things! Have so much fun this week!
Lisa recently posted..It’s Quite Simple, but Not Necessarily Easy—Take Charge and Change Your LifeMy Profile

Ela April 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I love the idea of the sand! Gorgeous. And lucky you with an outdoor warm wedding!

Our wedding was totally DIY, also outdoors, but January in OR was cold! Also Phil didn’t want any kind of ceremony, so we really didn’t do very much. They’re a big popcorn family, so I had them make popcorn and throw it all over us when the ceremony was finished. To me, it’s really important to have some good words, but we ended up just keeping it super low key.

Excited for you my friend!
Ela recently posted..Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, or Words? Help Me Choose My Mascot!My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

thank you so much Ela! I am really enjoying doing things myself for the wedding :)

Laury@TheFitnessDish April 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!

You have no idea ho excited I am to see everything! Especially….the dress!!! I remember when you girls went and picked it out and said it was a secret. Aghh! I love wedding and I love you both! I can’t believe you’re doing some of the desserts! I mean I believe it, but I wouldn’t be able to! Awesome!
Laury@TheFitnessDish recently posted..I’m Not A RunnerMy Profile

Heathy April 24, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Looks like it’s all coming together! Great ideas. cant wait to see the pics of the big day! xo
Heathy recently posted..Gluten Free Chocolate Chip DonutsMy Profile

tinafreysd April 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

You have to enjoy preparing this big day..I cant wait to see the wedding photo..I love your idea doing DIY wedding..Thanks for the update..
tinafreysd recently posted..Get Help Treating AcneMy Profile

Natalie April 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hi,

I’ve been following your website for the past month and have definitely been inspired!
Have fun this weekend and take a moment to step back and enjoy your wedding and all the
hard work you put in to making this day everything you had every imagined. After months of planning the wedding goes by so fast.

I also had stumps at my wedding. They were used to hold the standing water canisters at the bar and we even used them as center pieces with a pale of flowers on top. another idea is to use christmas tree stumps (if you can find them). They look really cool on tables. Another idea if you have time is to get some chalk paint and paint your mason jars. That way people can write on them. they make great glasses for your bar!

Have an amazing day!!

Lori and Michelle April 25, 2012 at 4:53 am

thanks for the ideas Natalie, love them all!!

jessie ann james April 24, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I had a lot of DIY at my wedding and I loved it! hard work but worth it! i cant believe the wedding is soo soon!
jessie ann james recently posted..moving…My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 25, 2012 at 4:53 am

I know, same here!

Athena April 25, 2012 at 5:59 am

Wedding is the most special day for every woman ahead… I’m so excited for the next wedding update…
Athena recently posted..how to write a songMy Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 25, 2012 at 6:40 am

Oh my gosh I’m so excited about this. I know it will be incredibly beautiful! Love all the DIY stuff! The only thing I didn’t do myself for my wedding was the flowers and in hind sight, I wish I had done that part too. Oh well. I think your own touch just makes things that much more special.
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Chicken Parmesan Promises…My Profile

serriberr July 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi :) I love your DIY ideas. Can you tell me where you got the wood for your tree-stump slices? I’ve been thinking about using a similar idea in an upcoming wedding reception but haven’t got a clue where to find wood.

Thanks,

Serri

Lori and Michelle July 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

My husbands father cut down some trees to make the wood slices for my wedding. I do think some online places sell them.