ideas for DIY save the dates & invitations to save money for wedding

by Lori and Michelle on April 25, 2012

hello friends!

well last night Michelle, our dad, and I went to Publix (our local grocery store) to get food for a Draft party that we are hosting and Michelle and I’s birthday party food plus food for the brunch on Sunday with our out of town wedding guest. it is REALLY now starting to feel like – wow – ok – my wedding is finally HERE!!! YIKES!!! Gary is also flying in tonight. so I am excited to see him and have him do some wedding things with me! so glad to hear about others doing DIY style weddings! I love hearing what others did and getting ideas from you all! so thanks!!

today I was going to share how I did my own invitations, save the dates, and labels for the wedding reception to save some money.

do you all remember my save the date preview? well here is the final product that we EMAILED out to everyone. yes you are correct. I decided to email out the save the dates — we live now in a century that technology is easy and everyone is doing it. so why not SAVE some money and email out invitations for saving the date!  or maybe I am just not that formal and like to keep costs down when possible.   it was designed by Michelle and the older sis Jen. they used the program Adobe Illustrator to design it. they bought custom fonts for it. I wrote the story. and Gary just approved it all when it was done. I really wanted to tell the story of Gary and I’s relationship for those that might not really know us or not really know how it all started.

I got this idea from some pinterest wedding ideas.

once I got the look and feel that I wanted for the save the dates I decided to keep that theme for the invitations. though I wanted to continue to save some money, so I printed the labels myself on a laser printer.

it was a fun project …. right Michelle? haha

well it was in a sense fun to do but took us a few trials to get the paper lined up just right to print out correctly. we eventually got it. I got the basic look and template for the invitations from Michaels. they also provided the envelopes. I think it costs me around $50 or so for about 100 invitations. all I needed to do was design, print and mail out. pretty easy when all said and done. again Michelle designed the formal invitations in Adobe Illustrator with same fonts and colors as the save the dates.

and then for the dessert bar labels that I showed yesterday. I also got them from Michaels and used the template they provided. it was all designed in Microsoft Word. pretty standard and very easy to print.

place cards for weddinghere is what I used.

and for the Mr. and Mrs. signs I saw this idea off pinterest and fell in love. I found someone at Etsy that does them, here is the shop that I used. it had so many great choices to pick from. I am so happy and pleased with them.

mr. and mrs. signs for wedding

I plan on using them for pictures with Gary and I, as well as putting it on our sweetheart table at the reception.

Twins Question: where did you find or where are you finding ideas for your wedding? did you look in magazines a lot or more online? do you like looking at other people’s weddings, to see what they did? how they did it?

Lori

have a busy day today. lots of errands to run and squeezing in a workout and plank. plus remembering to pick Gary up from airport :)

LizAshlee April 25, 2012 at 6:21 am

Aaahhh…what a great DIY invitation..I luv how it tells the story..super adorable! :)

Lori and Michelle April 25, 2012 at 6:25 am

thanks Liz!

Brittany April 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

Definitely bookmarking this post so I can come back for some ideas. I love your DIY Save the Date and the fact that you emailed it. The little story about you and Gary is too cute.

I’m so so so excited for you Lori!!! As it turns out, you’re getting married this Saturday and I’m getting my engagement photos taken. I can’t wait to see photos from your special day!!
Brittany recently posted..Clean Eating Shrimp SaladMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 25, 2012 at 7:20 am

thanks Brittany!!! so excited to hear all about your wedding planning as well, and have fun at your photo session!!

katie @KatieDid April 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

wow LOVE the typography. So creative, you girls are talented!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Routines and Sesame Roasted AsparagusMy Profile

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 25, 2012 at 7:39 am

I remember you posting that invitation a while ago, and I still love it! So adorable :D
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Orange and Berry SaladMy Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com April 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

Awwww! I love these!! You are so creative and so cute!!

I loved reading the story…I don’t feel so bad that Ryan and I have been together for 10 years and NO RING YET! LOL!! I know its coming soon…finally finances are in order! haha!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Grow Your Lean Tight Muscles!My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 25, 2012 at 10:11 am

haha yep Kris!!! xoxo

Bitt April 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

Invites look great but I would blurr out the location and date, that area I have been to and anyone could get there. Be safe!

Lori and Michelle April 25, 2012 at 10:23 am

oh ya thanks Bitt, I meant to do that but forgot. just made the change ;)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) April 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

lori says ‘is this a joke? LOL! I LOVE YOU! hahaha congrats so many times over, i know this weekend will be magical! we did our save the dates, invites & programs together since nate is a designer :) it was hard but we saved a ton of money! we were inspired by apartment therapy, design blogs & dwell mag since it was pre-pinterest ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate April 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

That is SO cute!! I can’t believe the wedding is already here– you’re going to have so much fun!
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate recently posted..Adios, Breastpump. See you in hell.My Profile

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan April 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

I emailed my save-the-dates, too! I haven’t even begun anything with the invitations, though; I need to get on top of that. I wish I had some designing know-how; I’m clueless! Plus I don’t even have a printer…haha.

Thanks for these posts!
Amber Shea @Almost Vegan recently posted..The opening of Café Gratitude Kansas City!My Profile

Lisa April 25, 2012 at 9:16 am

The DIY stuff looks totally professional! Great job—maybe you should add wedding planning to your bakery tasks :-)
Lisa recently posted..Coconut Flour Donut Holes and My First Personal Training SessionMy Profile

Nicole @ Making Good Choices April 25, 2012 at 9:40 am

we did lots of DIY stuff for our wedding too. I wish pinterest was around then! Everything you have done is BEAUTIFUL!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..14 Weeks: Pregnancy UpdateMy Profile

Ela April 25, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thanks for sharing so generously! The “save the date” is gorgeous. Not only does it save money to email it out–it also saves trees!

Sending you tons and tons of good wishes.
Ela recently posted..Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, or Words? Help Me Choose My Mascot!My Profile

Lisa April 25, 2012 at 11:25 am

This is such a great idea. It is the most adorable thing ever! I would love to receive one of those as a guest. Great plan. The wedding is coming up so fast, you must be super excited :) Good luck with everything over the next few days!
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #5My Profile

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! April 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I love this! The save the date & invitation are amazing – if I had just seen them without knowing anything I’d think they were professionally done :-)
So exciting, this weekend!
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..WIAW – (almost) WordlessMy Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com April 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

This is the cutest invitation ever!

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm

That is SUCH a good idea for a save the date! And I totally agree that e-mailing makes sense. Honestly, it’s more likely I’ll get it if it’s e-mailed! I’m horrible about sorting through my mail.

I AM sad that I didn’t catch you in Richmond back in the day!!! haha come back and visit :)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..What I Ate [in D.C.] WednesdayMy Profile

Adri @ FoodieBeFit April 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I love these! And I love the idea of a DIY wedding. We got married really young and had a small wedding but I also did my own invitations and favors. Would do it all over again, I really think it gives it a very personal touch and kind of shows your appreciation for your guests. Best wishes on your big day!
Adri @ FoodieBeFit recently posted..Asian Noodle SlawMy Profile

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) April 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I love reading on other blogs what people are doing for their wedding. We are design our invitations at the moment and yours were great inspiration!
Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) recently posted..Film Review: Fat, Sick and Nearly DeadMy Profile

Becca April 26, 2012 at 3:46 am

The invitation looks inviting even i am not invited lol! Pinterest has so many great ideas
for any kind of occasions. Love the design.. congrats!
Becca recently posted..Conveyancing WilliamstownMy Profile