diet update

by Lori and Michelle on April 17, 2012

just like with all the physical changes going on over here with the moving…

our diet seems to keep rotating around as well. just as we have mentioned many times before, our diet is always changing. and that is just the way we are. we are not going to make any excuses. or try to please other people.

we are just listening to our body. our stomachs. our gut. without letting our mind get too involved, haha. not comparing what we do to others. just do our own thing.

Kevin did a great post about diets. how there is no “one” diet out there. we all just have to be open to everything regarding diet and health. and do our own self experiments. you can read about what others are doing. you read books, articles till your head explodes, but at the end of the day you are left with you! so make sure whatever you do, you do it for you. your own beliefs. for your own reasons. not because someone told you to.

so what the hell are we eating??

here is a quick recap on our thoughts of our diet lately

first off – we having been loving fruit based green smoothies right after we work out. we used did this, but did take a break from fruit and tried having eggs and sweet potato after our workouts. and do not get us wrong, we did enjoy those meals, but for some reason we both just feel better after we workout to have green smoothies.

and we both notice our energy is better and our bodies recover faster.

second – so are we still eating eggs? yes. we eat 2 whole eggs (well Lori has duck eggs) a day. and have  some egg whites for days we want extra protein.  and we still try to get wild fish 2-3 times a week; we try to have our fish more on the raw side.

salmon salad

third - since it is getting warmer outside we notice we are gravitating towards more raw foods. we try to have one juice a day. we are busy girls, so this does not always happen. and lately we seem to enjoy a second green smoothie, and we normally add some protein powder to this one.

fourth – do we eat grains? well we never gave them up 100%, as we mentioned before we still ate brown rice through our Sunwarrior protein powder. and occasionally buckwheat. we both are doing fine with them too, and do plan on adding more back in after the wedding. (still trying to keep our skin clear before the big day, hope you all understand!!!)

protein powder pancakes from the Tone It Up girls which we ate with spinach and coconut oil, we know weird, but so good.

fifth – how are we doing with adding in some meat again? well we have had some meat over these past few weeks. and as much as it was weird at first, and sometimes mentally difficult to eat it, we tried it. and the conclusion we have come to is – we do not do the best with meat. (and please note we were eating high quality local grass fed meat). we both felt very tired afterwards. the meat was just sitting there in our stomachs, not digesting. causing some constipation for us, which is not what we want! this is probably the number one reason why we stopped eating meat a few years ago.

so will we still eat meat? ya occasionally. remember we are not trying to be one type of diet. we are just trying to find our balance.

so some of you might be thinking, why eat it then? why bother with something that does not sit right? good question. the reason we said yes is because we are trying to maintain our muscle mass. and being very active people sometimes eating fruit, veggies, etc does not always fill us up or get us enough calories. in order for us to keep our calories high, we have to eat other food groups. but there are times when we do not want meat or eggs, so we enjoy some protein powders.

a yummy beet and fennel mixture with coconut oil

both of us are really trying hard to get a balance diet. not favor one food group over the other. well besides dark leafy greens and vegetables, they make up majority of our diet.

probably the biggest thing we are learning is that it is not always what we eat, but when we eat is making the biggest difference for us.  what do we mean? over the weekend we did not have our normal 5-6 small meals, but instead had 3 large meals. and both of us kept talking about how tired we were. just felt lethargic. and then it hit us….our bodies were spending so much time digesting our meals that we had no energy (and only one meal was animal based). but we do understand that we will not always have the luxury of eating every few hours like we prefer, but it was good to know from personal experience what our bodies like.

our stomachs, and overall health, seem to really like simple meals throughout the day. now this does not work for everyone. so please find what works for you!

any new supplements? yes.

last week we started taking fermented cod liver oil. we read a lot about the benefits of it for skin. and we have both noticed some improvements from it.

started taking maca again about 1-2 tsp almost everyday.

we started having homemade kefir again daily. *we get local goat milk from a farmer

other things:

we try to have about 1/4 tsp turmeric at every meal to help with inflammation (therefore helping our skin!)

still have our msm water, more about this check our Lori’s video

taking a probiotic everyday, sometimes twice

coffee – Lori stopped coffee two weeks ago, as she read it could influence hormones. so she thought why not give it a shot and see what happens. so far she is going great, her face is getting better, just mainly scars and a few pimples left. she is getting more optimistic and happy about her changes. so that is good. she plans on giving another skin/face update here soon.

as we have mentioned many times before – we are not labeling our diet. we enjoy all foods. and we are happy with that. will this always be the case?? probably not. as you can see already we change our eats a lot, and we know many of you have requested we share exactly what we eat. and we do plan on doing that once the wedding is over and are moved and settled, we will do more post about our daily eats.

and currently we are doing a little cleanse so to speak. we are loving the Tone It Up girls Beach Babe nutrition plan. love how they have focused more on fruits, veggies, juices, and smoothies!!!  we also signed up for Tone It Up 8 week Bikini series!!

we will give our thoughts on workouts tomorrow as feel we have bored you all enough with our diet.

thoughts?

L&M

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) April 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

Keep on doing what’s best for you – so happy you’re both changing what you feel needs to be changed. Don’t let others judge.

Mandy A April 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’d love to know… what does the maca do for digestion? Thanks! :)

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 10:04 am

Mandy maca is not really for digestion, it helps with hormones and stress.

Stephanie April 17, 2012 at 8:44 am

great to hear new changes are working for you!
p.s. I love renegade health shows, too! I’ve discovered quite recently, and I think it’s really informative :)

Sam April 17, 2012 at 8:55 am

Girls your diet is fantastic,butdo not give up meat you have to start slowly and eat fatty meat not only muscles one to avoid constipation it is very important to eat animals fat look at this http://healthybabycode.com/why-eating-only-lean-protein-is-a-bad-idea
and many many other articles about it. I am mom of little boy(he had little problem but gaps diet solved it andthen I have been trained by GAPS DIET in their centre in UK.Also add meat bone broth to your diet and fatty dairy products like grassfed butter ghee cream to avoid constipation
Take care good luck

katie @KatieDid April 17, 2012 at 8:57 am

Love reading about your constantly changing diet and journey. I keep a similar attitude, try not to label, and am open to most foods but have found a certain style of eating that works for me (for now). Yes it could change anyday but for now I feel awesome. Thanks for sharing girls!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Life Behind the iPhone LensMy Profile

holly April 17, 2012 at 8:58 am

i love this!

i love that you ladies are doing what is best for YOU! there is no harm in continually experimenting to figure out how you feel your best. and there is nothing wrong with having things occasionally that don’t make you feel the best either. it’s all a balancing act. bravo ladies!

and may i just say, you two are looking kick ass lately! :)
holly recently posted..A Cheese-less BalanceMy Profile

Sarah @ Serotonin for Breakfast April 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

Aw, I’m not bored with your diet stuff!! I completely understand what you are going through…trying to figure out what works best is an ongoing process, and I am doubtful there will ever be one way for me to eat that will be The Way for the rest of my life! It’s funny that I’ve helped a lot of my friends eat a certain way, which has worked tremendously well for them, and now I’m finding that stuff is just “off” in my own body. Life has been full of some crazy changes lately, but having an open mind and a curious spirit is definitely going to prevent a lot of frustration in regards to eating habits. Thanks as always for sharing and I’m right there with ya!

Sam April 17, 2012 at 9:02 am

I have forgot to write you perfect choicé with cod liver oil it is the only supplement Chris Kresser Weston A Price org and Natasha Bride reccomend http://healthybabycode.com/cod-liver-oil-natures-most-potent-superfood

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) April 17, 2012 at 9:04 am

i definitely transition towards fresh, raw flavors as the weather gets warmer! i’m considering fermenting some buckwheat groats got a fave pancake recipe you’d care to share? :) i tend to eat 2 large meals, a smoothie and a snack
The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) recently posted..wind mapMy Profile

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed April 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

“Diet” concepts can be so confusing… I was reading so much about vegetarian and vegan eats, but recently did some research about the Paleo Diet. It’s so hard to know what’s right for me individually! I thought I wanted to cut back on meat but the Paleo Diet thing has thrown me for a loop.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Half Marathon Training: Week 15My Profile

Ela April 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

It makes me so happy to read this! I’m so glad you’re listening to your bodies and really figuring out not only which foods work for you but also timing, quantity per time, protein balance and type of protein, etc.

I’m also glad you’re trying without coffee–I know it can be an acne trigger for many people.

Interesting to hear your meat-eating thoughts. When I experimented with animal products a few years ago, I think my experience was similar to yours–I was sometimes ok with fish, although sometimes I didn’t digest it well, but I had a really hard time with meat (which I had basically never eaten in my life before)–I didn’t like the taste, and it made me feel tired and heavy. A question: have you tried eating meat with sauerkraut? I think that might make it easier to digest? For me, the meat and dairy thing did not work out at all, but I’m not as active as you ladies and I think my guts may be more messed up than yours ;0)

Ela recently posted..Eloquent Pictures; Pinterest–HAWMCMy Profile

Coco April 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Living outside the “Labels”- I like it! :)
Coco recently posted..Weekend + Summer ShredMy Profile

Lisa April 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Great to hear you’ll be doing what is best for your bodies! And its nice to know how your eating experiments worked or didn’t work out for you. At least you tried them out so you’d know for sure. Have a great day!
Lisa recently posted..Cookie DoughMy Profile

Aubrey April 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I defintly think you should read Jordan Rubin’s books YOUD LOVE THEM:) I love your open mindedness about food. And honestly you guys give me hope. Im in a really bad phase of ed right now and you give me hope I can move past it and actually be fit without overwhelming myself it can be done in short time. THank you@
Aubrey recently posted..RECIPES! Can be Raw well combined Pizza and Bomb Salad!My Profile

Nicole @ Making Good Choices April 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love how open you girls are and how you share so much about your diet. I also love how you don’t label yourselves one way or another. Great job listening to your bodies and paying attention to how food makes you feel! :)
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Tri Color Goddess Quinoa SaladMy Profile

Amanda @RunToTheFinish April 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm

really well said!! after doing the vegan challenge it became clear to me that for my particular needs it didn’t leave me with enough energy so I will occassionally enjoy meat or fish and heaven help me if I ever try to give up eggs again :)

my body used to change cravings with the seasons, but I swear miami has me so mixed up with it just being hot all year. I had to start forcing some winter type foods in because I missed those comforting meals
Amanda @RunToTheFinish recently posted..The RLAM school of race preparationMy Profile

Lani April 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Awesome!! I love that you eat what feels right! That gives others the freedom to do the same.

How do you consume your turmeric? Tablets? Or do you incorporate into the recipes you eat?

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Lani we buy the spice (powdered form) and use it in smoothies, sprinkle over food, etc

Lauren April 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Whatever works for you ladies! No judgement here!! You are both going to look beautiful for the wedding, no matter what you eat!! :) xoxo

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thank you so much Lauren, for you support and understanding!

Katie April 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

We all are unique and just have to find what works for “us” ! I am glad you girls follow that rule, it can be a science project trying to figure out what does work best for us, I am still figuring things out over here. I recently added meat and maca to my diet as well!

Wonderful post girls!!! <3

Glad Lori's skin is clearing up too!!!
Katie recently posted..Perfectly happyMy Profile

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance April 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I love that you guys mentioned the importance of eating several meals throughout the day instead of just 3 large ones. When I first began trying to lose weight, I would stick to 3 strict meals and barely saw any progress. As soon as I changed it up with smaller meals more often– I saw SUCH greater progress.

Plus, who doesn’t like an excuse to eat more often? Am I right or am I right? ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Welcome Home HibachiMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

yep we are right there with ya Brittany!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) April 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm

i am 100% on the same page with you ladies. i don’t label myself, but do what works for me, and that is what is most important. always learning for sure!
Felicia (Natural + Balanced) recently posted..Savi Seeds, Shark Steak, and Baba GaNOOCHMy Profile

carrie April 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

You guys are always inspiring – never apologize for being true to yourselves (and brave enough to share it with us)!! I love hearing about your experiments. It gives me so many good ideas. I also agree Kevin’s article was spot-on… if only more people were that open-minded and confident. (ps: i just got a dehydrator and came straight to your site for recipe inspiration…so ya know…thanks! :)

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Carrie, awesome!! you will love it.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I love hearing when people listen to their bodies and do what they need to do to fuel them properly. None of us are a one size fits all scenario. We have to do what is best for us on the inside. I struggled with the meat thing too when my B12 was way too low. It was hard, but I did what I needed to do to be healthy. That is the most important part of all of this. Oh and respecting people choices. I’m so happy you two are feeling better! Hugs to you both!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Things I’ve discovered about myself lately…My Profile

Kelsey April 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hey lovelies! Lifespa has an amazing turmeric cleanser. All-natural, etc. if you’re interested, I’ll send you a link!

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Kelsey we will have to check it out

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) April 17, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I love that you two are so open about what you eat. So many people are not completely honest which is detrimental to others listening or reading. Thank you!!!
Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) recently posted..3 Tips To Improve Your Eating HabitsMy Profile

Mike Lieberman April 17, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Great post as always ladies. So insightful and inspiring.
Mike Lieberman recently posted..Mycorrhizal Fungi: The Secret to Healthier PlantsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Mike!!!

Gena April 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I love that you guys are always in search of feeling good, and that you advocate individuation. That said, I also sometimes worry that you’re seeking out a “perfect diet” — a diet that will make every problem dissipate, or confer an optimal health that may or may not be realistic. In my experience, no diet makes every problem go away. And it can be exhausting to feel as if one is always searching and shifting things around. I really hope that you achieve what you are looking for through food, but also hope that you can ultimately find something that’s sustainable longterm, and be comfortable with it.

Love to you both –
Gena recently posted..3 Creative Uses for Almond Pulp: Raw Bread, Raw Zucchini and Almond Hummus, and Raw Chocolate Protein “Fluff”!My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 5:40 am

Gena thank you for your comment and wise words! we did not mean to come across as we are trying to find a perfect diet. we were just sharing what we are enjoying now, and that we are loving it. we love being open to things. trying new things. we finally feel we are really listening to our bodies, and not what other people tell us. as we mentioned from Kevin’s article, we are done with searching and reading about this and that, and not just do what we want. Thank you for your support :)

Gena April 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm

PS — in the comment above, I meant to acknowledge that you guys totally do seem to know that no SINGLE diet is right for everyone. But I guess it sometimes feels as though you still think there is a unique diet out there that might be “perfect” for you individually — and maybe even that is a little too pressurized an expectation.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I have trouble remembering that MY diet is MY diet, and I don’t need to eat like anyone else! what works for me, might not work for someone else! I just need to eat what makes me feel good :)

I love the idea of living outside a label!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Impractical Kitchen AppliancesMy Profile

Laury@TheFitnessDish April 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I enjoyed reading this post, ladies! I can resonate with so much of what you said. Diets are always changing, evolving, and growing. It is so hard when you blog and feel like you need to explain your choices when they shift…so it made me smile to see you girls saying how you will not defend your food choices. They are yours, your bodies, so I am happy you’re doing what’s best for you!!!

With that said, I also agree with Gena above. Trying to find a “perfect” diet for you can be exhausting! I understand you both have had your battles with skin, and hormones, etc…so I am glad to hear when you find the foods that work well with your bodies. You do a great job listening to your body and making choices accordingly. I admire that! Try not to put too much pressure on yourselves though ;-) I know you have a wedding coming up but you both are going to be gorgeous!

It has been so warm here this week and all I want are fresh, raw foods now too! I finally got my new juicer (since the other one died right before Ella was born) so I look forward to making some juice and pulp crackers in the near future!!!
Laury@TheFitnessDish recently posted..Gymboss Interval Timer Giveaway!My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 5:38 am

Hey Laury, thank you for your comment. And you are right there is not perfect diet, and we did not mean to sound like there was for us. We were just giving an update of what we are doing and letting people know we are open to everything now. and we love it. we love the way we eat and are happy with it. even though we know our diet will change throughout the years, we are okay with that. we are happy with our dietary choices. but thank you for the reminder of no pressure ;)

Lacey April 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Have you guys ever heard of the supplement called herbalbiotic? I used to have bad skin, and it was very frustrating! But my nutritionist put me on it, and my face cleared within a month! I have a good diet (not as good as you two!) so that might have helped even more!

LizAshlee April 18, 2012 at 5:18 am

Great post..so much information!! Thanks for sharing! I love goat’s kefir…I am currently not doing any dairy really, maybe a tiny in sauces and I am mostly doing fruits and veggies and more juices and smoothies. I just got a Vitamix and I am loving it!!!!!!!!

Have a great day!
LizAshlee recently posted..A New Story…A New PerspectiveMy Profile

Gillian April 18, 2012 at 5:25 am

I was describing you ladies to my mom the other day, “They make the most amazing food, are super sweet and genuine, and they are the healthiest, fittest women you’ve ever seen.” Enough said. xo
Gillian recently posted..Sneak PeekMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 5:36 am

Oh Gillian you are too sweet!! Thanks girl for your support!!

shannonmarie (rawdorable) April 18, 2012 at 6:43 am

Sounds like both of you are really listening to your bodies. We are all different and need to tailor our diets to suit us. Kudos to you both :-)

Lisa April 18, 2012 at 7:13 am

Great re-cap! It’s such an evolution! I love not labeling—labeling just creates commitment, and I like to be able to change things as needed…just like it sounds like you’re doing!
Lisa recently posted..Peanut Butter Cups….and Many Roads to the Same PlaceMy Profile

lindsay April 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

looks like a great diet for YOU! I think our diets evolve with our stress levels too. sometimes we need more raw goods for nourishment, sometimes we need more bland for easy digestion, etc. It’s all about staying in tune! i love that you all do this.

Kimmoy April 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

I love how you both experiment to find out what’s best for you, it makes it more interesting. I’m not sure if this has been explored before, but maybe diet/food allergies might not be the cause of the skin problems? Have you guys looked into clothing/bedding fabrics? Detergents? Facial & Body Cleansers and products? How long you stay in sweaty clothes after a workout? It might be external, just a theory :)

Carey April 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Couple of questions.
With your wild caught fish, do you have concerns over mercury and heavy metals? I love fish but feel hesitant to eat it more than once a week because of these concerns. What types of fish are you eating?
What type of maca do you use? Have you noticed any benefits especially in regards to hormones? I’ve tried it before and it wired me but I’m thinking of trying it again.
Thanks!

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Carey, we eat mostly salmon. no we do not have too many concerns with mercury. and for maca we get from Navitas Naturals – http://www.navitasnaturals.com/products/maca.html We do not notice huge benefits from it, but do feel overall it helps with our hormones.

jessie ann james April 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

i love these posts! they help me remember that diet is all about ME and what my body needs! thank you for keeping us posted! ps..lets set up that skype date soon! id love to talk protein with you guys! thanks again
jessie ann james recently posted..spoonful of {home}My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

xoxo of course anytime!

jenny April 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm

raw salmon = possibly my favourite thing in the world
jenny recently posted..fuzzy love x Frances Bean Cobain by Hedi SlimaneMy Profile

sjr April 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm

have y’all tried taking hydrochloric acid supplements? if you are going to continue eating some meat, i definitely recommend trying it to help you digest your food better! (my acupuncturist recommended it and it’s definitely helping me.)

Sonya June 1, 2012 at 8:59 am

Did you guys purchase the Tone It Up Girls meal plan and if so, which one? I eat similar to you, never any meat though and not sure if I should get vegan one or what?

Lori and Michelle June 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

Sonya we got the gluten free vegetarian one

Stacy July 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Some thoughts and suggestions, as I have been dealing with similar issues and have experiemented with nearly every diet, herb, supplement known to man:

-Protein powder could be the issue. Have u tried cutting this out? Contrary to popular belief (I used to be a body builder and swimmer…Im also a Personal trainer and nutritionist), u DON’T need loads of protein to build and maintain muscle. I fell into this trap and it caused a lot of health issues: raised kidney enzymes, acne, digestive issues, congestion, acidity, etc. Try cutting out the protein powder for a little while and see if it helps. If u eat enough calories from natural, whole foods, u will get more than enough protein. The average adult only needs 30g or so, but since u are active, u can definitely do more—which is easy to obtain by eating greens, veggies, fruits, legumes, and grains. How many grams of protein are u consuming and what % of it is your diet?

-Animal proteins are known to cause skin issues. I’m not saying this to make u vegan, but I’ve personally seen myself and others heal skin conditions by nixing animal products (dairy, eggs, fish, meats). The proteins are too concentrated for the body to process, causing toxins to be produced. The skin is your largest elimination organ, thus these toxins express themselves thru your skin. And, cooked proteins are even worse, as the protein is degraded and not very bioavailable. Again, plant-based sources are best (and if u find u do well with plant-based pro powders, then use them sparingly).

-Fruits are natural detoxifiers…don’t cut them out! In fact, some people do a fruit-based diet for a period of time to heal inflammation. (Some people do it for longer by following the 801010 diet, but I dont recommend it. It’s good for the short-term for healing/detoxing, but it’s not sustainable for long term). Balance this with some greens and it will help your body purge toxins.

-Dr Fuhrman’s Eat to Live diet is excellent: Nutritarian. Unlimited greens, at least 4 fruits, 1+c legumes, some starch/grains, and

Helen Saunderson July 26, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Hi Michelle and Lori
I am a Clinical Nutritionist from Auckland, New Zealand and spend a bit of time checking out recipes and food trends on the web. Think it is brave of you both to share your story and journey. There is so much controversy and misinformation regarding food and diet that it is confusing trying to understand the right way to go. Unfortunately, almost all the diet books promote a particular diet that supposedly suits everyone, but we are all constitutionally different and have varying current health issues as well. It’s easy to get into a “right/wrong” way of thinking with food but it’s really all a matter of balance. If there are any “wrong” foods they would have to be chemically processed foods which our bodies were never designed to handle, especially the hydrogenated oils prolific on supermarket shelves and used to prolong the shelf life of most of the pre-prepared ‘food’ in the middle aisles. These damaged oils impair cell membrane function, disrupting the flow of nutrients into cells and wastes out.
I have studied Ayurveda and Chinese 5 Element Theory as well as the technical side of nutrition and ancient wisdom can help point us in the right direction. Both these systems acknowledge we all have an individual mind/body constitution, which means that different foods will have different effects on different people e.g. if someone already has a body/mind with plenty of heat, eating heating foods will aggravate this, like chilli or even yoghurt, which has a heating post-digestive effect.
An area I specialize in too is food intolerance – you mentioned that Lori is allergic to some things. I find most people these days are intolerant to multiple food groups as well as some chemicals and are deficient nutritionally too or eating the wrong balance of protein/carbs/essential fatty acids for them. Many people do not test positive for gluten but have a low tolerance for grains nonetheless. This is common now due to added stress and general low adrenal function, leading to blood sugar imbalance and impaired liver function.
Any symptom anywhere in the body can occur as a result of a food or chemical intolerance (including acne) so it is very useful to know what foods our body finds difficult to metabolize.
This is a main source of inflammation in the body – our body’s reaction to foods and chemicals it struggles to cope with. It all begins with our gastrointestinal tract function, which is easily upset by emotional stress, infections such as helicobacter pylori, candida, parasites, antibiotics and other medications, eating on the run, too fast, too much or too little, too infrequently or irregularly, skipping meals, not drinking enough water, food combinations (eggs and sweet potato you have noted is a problematic one!), eating too little fibre or too much, alcohol (a prime irritant), foods/chemicals we are intolerant or allergic to etc etc.
I encourage any of you who are confused to see a natural health professional and get an individual assessment done – it can help cut through all the confusion.
Just a further note on vegetarian, vegan and raw eating. For women who are menstruating especially, I have found it is easy to become deficient in iron, B12 and zinc – all nutrients found most abundantly in animal foods. Even if you are eating eggs some people still will eventually become deficient in B12. If you have a dysfunctional gastrointestinal tract, even if you eat meat, some still become deficient in B12. Our livers store B12 for a few years, so many who go vegan are ok for a few years, but then become deficient when the liver stores run out.
Zinc is needed for good hydrochloric acid production and so it can become a vicious cycle if it is low as nutrient absorption gets impaired by low acid secretion. Zinc, by the way, is essential for the heatlth of the sebaceous glands of the skin and often helps acne – but take it away from other supplements as other minerals compete for absorption, for best effect.
Raw food we now all know is helpful for the naturally occurring enzymes it contains and many people do well, at least for awhile on this diet. My own opinion is that it is a therapeutic diet used to treat illness and shouldn’t be used indefinately. Some constitutions do better than others. Raw foods are cold by nature, this is why we crave warm food when the weather is cold. Digestion requires heat, so raw or cold food takes more energy to heat up, break down and metabolize (therefore takes a lot of enzymes, anyway, which nature has acknowledge by providing them built-in). Warm food may contain less enzymes but it doesn’t need as much to digest, either. Cooking food helps retain minerals, which are needed for basic cell function – most cultures have soup as a basic food item as it is a good way to get a lot of nutrition, without a lot of digestive power needed – think of the old convalescence foods – broths rich in gelatin which aids digestion, rice pudding, custard, stewed fruit – all cooked items. Most cultures also used specific raw foods, mostly fermented, as condiments to aid the digestion of cooked foods – think of sauerkraut, pickles, raitas, miso soup etc.
Again, it comes down to balance, constitution and personal taste. Food is supposed to be delicious and nutritious and you have got it right by emphasizing CELEBRATION as a key. traditional societies all did celebrate with food as a basis for bringing people together.
Hope this has been of some help and interested in your comments.

Helen