post workout smoothie

by michelle on April 18, 2012

hello friends

thank you to everyone who commented and shared your thoughts on our diet update. some of you brought up good points about Lori and I trying to find a perfect diet…even for us individually. and to clarify – we did not mean for that to come across. we mainly just wanted to share that we are at a point in our “diet” where we are open to everything!! we are finally happy with everything!! we are enjoying what we want, when we want, and not worrying about what other people tell us. we are truly listening to us…Lori does her thing. I do my thing. it is all about balance for us too.

one thing all this acne and hormone stuff has taught us is we are two different people. can handle different things. can eat different things. we still enjoy a lot of the same foods, activities, and all, which makes blogging a little easier, haha.

but we do appreciate everyone bringing up the idea of no pressure!! both of us are truly at peace with our food choices now. yes, emotionally we have some other issues to face. but overall we are both doing great. just dealing with a lot of stress. some good. some not so much. but just like everyone else, we are doing all that we can do and letting faith take care of the rest.

lori doing her post workout stretching! and she got a little bruised up from all the moving. how sexy those bruise marks are?

okay onto our workouts! another topic that we just love talking about. we left off on our workout recap last Thursday, here is what we have done since then. love our Gymboss Interval Timer

last Fri – ZWOW #13 – 8 rounds of 10/20 rounds. we set our gymboss timer and got to work.  the weighted leg raises were killer. but overall we did not find this workout to be too challenging. still a great workout though! we loved focusing on one exercise for those 4 minutes, really helped make us stay focused and push!

Sat and Sun we took off due to moving. but we did our planks! plank WE MADE IT TO 5 MINUTES!! which was our goal to reach before Lori’s wedding! we are so proud of ourselves.

Mon – 5 minute plank + ZWOW #8 again love this one. we did not push ourselves though, did around 70-75% effort. we did just 5 rounds in 15 minutes.

Tues – 5 minute plank + 10 minute challenge of 10 reps of mountain climbers and 10 reps of  toe touches (we challenge ourselves and put a 3 lb weight in between our feet). now our abs are so sore today, luv it.

Wed (today) – 5 minute plank + Tone It Up Under the Sea workout. a body weight workout that took us about 20 minutes to complete 3 rounds

make your workouts count!

it has been a great week of workouts!! we are both feeling great…as the FINAL count down to Lori’s wedding is really close!!! eek!

my post workout smoothie for today was so good I want to share it here too :) smoothieMichelle’s post workout smoothie:

• 1 cup water
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4+ cup frozen raspberries
  • 2 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 stalks of collard greens

Directions: blend in vitamix till smooth and creamy. and enjoy!! love the flavor of this one for some reason. YUM

and Lori and I enjoyed a new addition to our juice yesterday - ASPARAGUS we juiced asparagus with carrots, fennel, celery, ginger, and apple it was pretty good! and surprisingly our not so good juicer handled juicing the asparagus which is awesome! excited to try other things to juice now like a pepper or something. fun times in the kitchen. we will share more of our juice creations with you as well!

Twins Question: any favorite workouts of the week for you? any fun new juice or smoothie creations? who else is doing their planks?

M

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 18, 2012 at 7:18 am

A 5 minute plank? Holy cow, you guys are awesome!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Failure to EasyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 9:10 am

thanks Brittany it is still tough for us but getting stronger each time!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free April 18, 2012 at 7:39 am

That smoothie sounds delicious! Also, definitely going to start doing planks everyday and try to get up to 5 minutes eventually!

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 9:10 am

Gabby you will get there!

katie @KatieDid April 18, 2012 at 8:15 am

I blogged today as well about my fitness updates and current schedule. I’ve been doing some pullups and getting my plank on too! up to about 4 minutes now although I took some time off last week so we’ll see what I can do today.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Fitness Goals LatelyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 9:10 am

Katie pull-ups is something we need to start doing more of too!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’m doing my planks! I’m at 3:30. I am so working towards 5! I’m so proud of you two! I love your approach to food and fitness. Stay strong and you will both find your place in your diet. Thank you for sharing your experiences!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Chicago!My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

thanks Sarena!! and yay for 3:30 that is great!!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed April 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

You’ve definitely inspired me to do some planks! I’m not sure what my goal is yet, but 5 minutes is CRAZY! Congrats!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Half Marathon Training: Week 15My Profile

Jenna April 18, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m working on my planks too! I think it is a miracle exercise :) Congrats on reaching 5 minutes! That is truly an amazing accomplishment. I also really respect how truthful you both are and how you do what makes you happy while listening to your bodies and taking care of them. Only you truly know what is best for your body :)
Maybe try juicing red peppers….they are so sweet I bet they would taste fabulous in juice!

Aubrey April 18, 2012 at 10:36 am

I have been doing usually a HIIT or tabata (either TIU, amanda russell, bodyrock or zuzana) workout, 2 minute plank, and a walk or some yoga.

Its not much or that good but I don’t really know how to increase:/

Honestly I get my ideas from you guys I never thought I’d be able to workout due to the health challenges last year, $$$, motivation, etc. I get bored SO easy working out. You guys honestly give all my ideas and hope and thankyou!!!
Please keep it uP!

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 10:38 am

aww thank you so much Aubrey!!!! we are so honored that we help you out ;) keep up the great work!!!!!! hugs

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 18, 2012 at 10:40 am

I love that you guys post your workouts as it gives me new ideas for my workouts each week! Please don’t ever stop! :)

Ami@dashofcurry.com April 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

I love the addition of turmeric to your diet– my mom has always preached the anti-inflammatory values of turmeric since I was a kid. I used to drink milk with turmeric and sugar everynight when I was little — it was like my (Indian) mom’s version of hot cocoa before bed! Now, I add it into all of my Indian curry dishes!Also, congrats on the plank!!! :)
Ami@dashofcurry.com recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (Post-Vacation Edition)My Profile

Erin April 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

your smoothie sounds great! I love smoothies and IDK if you do this but I like to put ground flax seed in all of my smoothies. You can’t taste them yet they are so good for your joints (perfect for post workout) And for someone like me who has a really slow digestive system they make me feel healthy :)

Erin April 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh and I LOVE Red peppers in juice! along with ginger! so yummy!

HeathersCreativeConcoctions April 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

I am so glad I am not the only one putting random spices in smoothies! I have been wanting to try turmeric because I swear it gives me an energy boost like you wouldn’t believe. I am working on a green monster smoothie with frozen broccoli, cinnamon, mint, rosemary… but now I am totally inspired to add some other spices-thanks pure2raw!!

Also I loved your post yesterday and I totally agree about when to know to listen to your body. :)
HeathersCreativeConcoctions recently posted..Apple Pie Milkshake with Sweet Almond CrumbleMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm

thanks Heather :)

Ela April 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

Have not been doing planks! Thanks for the reminder! I’m rooting for you girls–you are so awesome. Love that your journey is giving you affirmation of your individuality and yet closeness. You are so lucky to have each other.

Looking forward to more news from you!
Ela recently posted..HAWMC A Stranger and a Sojourner–the Quick EditionMy Profile

Nicole @ Making Good Choices April 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I’ve been doing planks, but only in 30 second increments to keep my abs strong! love the smoothie!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Pregnancy Update: 13 weeks!My Profile

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) April 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

smoothie bookmarked! sounds yum! i’m moving away from using xanthan gum and finished my stevia supply yesterday.i want to use real food for sweetness/creamy texture :) dang 5 min plank! i should see where i am at, last time i did one it was 2.30 and i was getting bored haha. it’s such a mental challenge! do you find that holding plank has helped your ab definition?
The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) recently posted..wind mapMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm

it is a mental challenge for sure, we get bored with it too haha
and yes we do feel it has helped with ab definition but now we realize to get more definition we need to do weighted ab exercises.

Lauren April 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Toe Shoes!!! How are you guys liking them? I just got them about 1 week ago and noticed that after my first run my calves were aching like never before! It was pretty awesome to see how just changing the way your feet stand can drastically change your workout. Anyways and I most certainly a convert and just LOVE them. First time in my life I have not had back pain from running either! Makes you think…
Lauren recently posted..Toxic Tampons?My Profile

Chelsea April 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Because of you girls, I just started planks! No more excuses and no more putting them off. :-) Thanks!

Kora April 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I just started working out again after a long, frustrating bout of poor health and it’s amazing how quickly all the previous hard word goes away when you don’t sustain yourself. But I know this phase, I’ve been through it, and it’ll pass. You two are a huge inspiration! I haven’t even tried planking, so I might have to add that on. Thanks for sharing, as always!
Kora recently posted..We Be SpringinMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Kore yes! keep it up, you will get through it. :)

Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) April 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I planked for 4 minutes yesterday! The longest I have ever done it!
Jessica Nazarali (@JessicaNazarali) recently posted..Win a Double Pass to the Australian Fitness & Health ExpoMy Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm

awesome Jessica!!!!!!!!

Raechel @ the rebel grrl kitchen April 18, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I made it to five minutes too! Wouldn’t have been able to do it without the motivation I felt from your plank updates! Also-totally agree about ZWOW #13. Good, but not as intense as her others. As for juice: I’ve been in a juice rut. I make the same concoction every day: kale, cuc, spinach, apple, lemon, ginger. I’m so scared to venture away from what works, because it seems like such a waste! Have you ever experimented with beet juices? That’s what I want to try next! : )
Raechel @ the rebel grrl kitchen recently posted..Lower Cal DIY Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter + “Why Almond Butter?”My Profile

Lori and Michelle April 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Raechel we love beets, so yes we juice them a lot and love it! we love the red color too that they provide our juices! so good

Lisa April 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I made it to 3 minute plank today, I was pretty impressed with myself ;) you girls rock at your planks! Still loving ZWOW’s over here. I’ve tried them all out now. I agree that #13 was not that bad, especially the first exercise. I recently tried out juicing in my vitamix and love it, but don’t love that it stained my nut milk bag green haha. It freaks me out now!
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #4My Profile

Coco April 19, 2012 at 5:44 am

Great job girls!!! 5 minute planks- woohoo!!!
Coco recently posted..Fuel + WOs+ VolleyballMy Profile

Lisa April 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

My juice this week was so spicy—ginger, fennel, turmeric and other green stuff…not sure I’d recommend it, but it felt really healthy while I was drinking it!
Lisa recently posted..Pizza Flavored Coconut Flour Flatbread Grilled Cheese {Recipe Update}My Profile

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com April 20, 2012 at 12:55 am

I love that you use turmeric in your smoothie! It’s is one of nature’s most powerful healers.