quick workouts plus healthy snacks

by michelle on May 30, 2012

Can you believe it is almost June?? Crazy how time flies.

As Lori and I mentioned before about our workouts not being “regular“. Well for me lately, I am still trying to get a quick workout in when I can these days! I do believe every little bit helps, even if it is only holding plank for 5 minutes. I know Lori has been active while on her honeymoon, she will have to report later on that.

Which speaking of planks, how is everyone doing? How long can you hold it? Recap of my workouts from the end of last week till today:

Friday – DAY OFF

still sore from ZWOW 18, this is how I looked afterwards…

Saturday – 5 minute plank + Tone It Up Thigh Workout

Sunday – DAY OFF

Monday – Bex Life Tabata Workout. A 4 minute workout!!! Plus did my 5 minutes of holding plank.

I love 4 minute workouts, or even 6 minutes.

I was really short on time on Monday, so 4 minutes was all I had. But that is what  HIIT workouts are for – to get a quick, hard workout done in a short amount of time. Mission accomplished.

Bex has a lot more quick 4 minute workouts, so when you are in a hurry try these out! They are amazing workouts that only take 4 minutes, so give it all you have!!

Tuesday – BeachBabe DVD HIIT workout

Not sure what I will do today! Looking for something different. We shall see what I can find.

Did you see our feature over on Running with Sass.  A little fun Q&A, check it out.

And some yummy things I have been eating I just wanted to quickly highlight.

My (past) Saturday breakfast – vegan protein waffles drizzled with yacon syrup with a side of coffee.

My morning routine is different every morning, and making these quick healthy protein waffles keeps me full till I am ready to workout. In the past I would workout first thing, but now I get to work first then workout later. So finding a breakfast that digest nicely was key, and my body seems to like these protein based waffles.  And some of you asked about servings, I eat two whole waffles myself. Now everyone has a different appetite so you might be okay with just one.

This time of year I find myself wanting avocado puddings all the time.

This avocado pudding I kept simple, I blended 1 whole avocado with some romaine, stevia, cardamom, cacao nibs, and vegan protein waffle crumbs. It was so good! Promise. Okay yes I like weird things.

And yesterday I enjoyed another favorite snack while I worked over at the bakeryindividual protein muffin/mini cake. I never know what to call it. As it really is it’s own thing. haha

I used 3 egg whites this time and did a mix of carob and cocoa in it. And for some reason did not need any water.

I drizzled my protein muffin with coconut oil, about two heaping spoon fulls. So good!

Man I am getting hungry now ;)

Well time for me to get ready for the day. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.

Twins Question: What is your favorite snack lately? Do you have any new workouts you been enjoying lately?

Michelle

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) May 30, 2012 at 5:39 am

Love love LOVE tabata-style workouts. Yesterday, my trainer and I took our first Barre class. It was fun getting to take a class with her instead of just having her train me :) Loving those types of workouts lately.

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 8:20 am

Liz awesome! I have heard of Barre, did you like it? It looks similar to Physique 57

Joy May 30, 2012 at 5:52 am

I have to start with you and Lori have the best abs! Then I’ll tell you my favorite snack is a green monster Popsicle – I bought these cheapo Popsicle forms and I have a few each day. I whole smoothie is too much for me but I love the flavor so I freeze the 8 ounces into 4 (they’re 2 ounce) molds and enjoy slowly! And yum
Joy recently posted..My thoughtsMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 8:18 am

Joy you are too sweet, thank you!

Katie May 30, 2012 at 6:02 am

The waffles and the muffin look so good!!!

I love short workouts, the best!

Can I please have your abs?!
Katie recently posted..Lots of loving {wednesday}My Profile

katie @KatieDid May 30, 2012 at 6:29 am

I’m back into crossfit and loving it after a couple months off of doing my own similar style workouts. I missed the atmosphere and energy! My favorite snack lately is a big glass of raw cows milk mmm!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Minty Lime Coconut MilkshakeMy Profile

LizAshlee May 30, 2012 at 6:43 am

Fav snacks…hmm..my go to is my pudding (made with carrots)..it’s delicious! I also reserve some and place them in the freezer in these heart shaped freezer mold that I got from Ikea…great for the warm weather!! http://lizashlee.com/?p=3225

Have an awesome day…p.s. your body looks great…so toned and fit…you go girl! :)
LizAshlee recently posted..Fill Your Life With LoveMy Profile

Stephanie May 30, 2012 at 7:18 am

Medjool Dates!! OmG…so good…

lindsay May 30, 2012 at 7:50 am

i’m kinda on a vega/banana/ avocado kick. looks like poo, tastes great! haha. nice abs ladies. Love it! Tabatas are killer!
lindsay recently posted..Island Hopping Training Weekend: Sherpa ScenesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 8:21 am

Lindsay sounds like something I would love ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

I don’t have a specific workout that I’m loving, but I really like tabata style workouts in general lately. I don’t get bored at all and I’m lucky enough to have my boys working out with me lately, which is even more fun!

As for snacks, I’ve been loving on some zucchini muffins made with zucchini from my garden! I actually need to bake another batch now since we are eating them like crazy!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Crispy Rosemary Corn Flake Chicken With Cornbread Waffles and a GiveawayMy Profile

Lisa May 30, 2012 at 9:11 am

Looks like great snacks and great workouts!

I’ve been eating a lot of flavored oils and balsamic vinegars lately—in everything. It might be an obsession!

I’ve been doing mostly HIIT workouts, some yoga, and lots of walking. The HIIT is bugging my achilles, so I’m trying not to go overboard—-I love the shorter workouts!
Lisa recently posted..Orange Apricot Coconut Macaroons (or Truffles)My Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

Love Tabata workouts too – thanks for the link to her YouTube channel, can’t wait to check it out for more ideas!

I love protein ice cream right now – I make it with cottage cheese though, and I get the feeling you guys don’t eat dairy? But it tastes so good and yet has minimal fat levels and tons of protein! Just some non-dairy milk blended with 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese, cocoa powder and stevia. I top it with a quick, easy and delicious homemade Magic Shell – melted coconut oil with melted choc chips drizzled over. As I freeze my protein ice cream for about 30 minutes after making it, the cool temperature hardens the oil instantly. It’s sooo good!

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Anna you will love Bex youtube channel! We try not to eat dairy, but your ice cream sounds great. Thanks for sharing

Yaitza Bueno May 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

love your blog! wish I lived near your bakery, you should open one in AK lol
Yaitza Bueno recently posted..TRX & Vitacost!My Profile

Christy May 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

yum…I like weird food combos too. I made a pepper, avocado, and oats sandwich the other day. Love avocados, worship them actually! That pudding looks fabulish! My favorite workouts currently are tabata, zumba, long runs outside, and circuits. I would love to try TRX soon!

Shelley May 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

I made it to the 5 minute club last week! Super excited and started a plank challenge (inspired by you two!) at the beginning of this month. My goal was to make it to 5 minutes (I started at 90 seconds) and I made it happen. Love the inspiration you guys share and love passing it on!

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Shelley YAY!! doing a happy dance right now ;) thank you and congrats on reaching your goal, keep it up

JennyO May 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’ve been totally craving the avacodos lately too, if it weren’t for planks and tabatas I’m not sure I’d be getting any workouts in.
JennyO recently posted..Illuminating AwardMy Profile

Laury@TheFitnessDish May 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I love Bex’s workout up there! My kind of fitness!

I’ve been loving protein avocado pudding a lot lately…a lot.

My abs are not anywhere close to looking like yours. Maybe I should start doing 5 minute planks…I get ADD though!
Laury@TheFitnessDish recently posted..Skechers GO Run Sneaker ReviewMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 31, 2012 at 7:21 am

Laury too funny you mentioned that because I enjoyed a protein avocado pudding yesterday and sharing it on the blog today!

Lisa May 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I definitely love tabata. I prefer my workouts short and sweet, even when I’m not totally busy. I like to get my sweat on relatively quick! And they are so much more effective for me than other workouts. I’ve been baking up a storm lately, so I’ve had many options for snacks.
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #10My Profile

Lou May 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I like weird eats too :) Favourite snack would be chia pudding with coconut milk kefir and cacao nibs… thanks for posting that 4min video – looks great especially as I don’t have much time with chasing my toddler around :)
Lou recently posted..a few thoughts to chew… or crackersMy Profile

Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run May 31, 2012 at 7:36 am

I’ve gotta try out some tabata. I keep hearing awesome things about it, but I haven’t sat down and picked something I want to try! I’ve been so busy running!

(PS: Girl, you have some beautiful abs.)
Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run recently posted..Heart, Strength, & Power: How to Reach Your Goals.My Profile

Ana May 31, 2012 at 8:19 am

Haha, your eats are not weird at all… or I am also another one who loves weird foods! :-)
I love all your food ideas! And that waffle looks so good, I cannot find my waffle iron, will need to get another one. In the meantime, do you think the protein waffles would work as pancakes??
Smoothies are my favorite, I love them, and I love fruits for snack too!
Bex website is new to me, I watched the video and did the workout you posted, omg, it was a quick and hard 4 minutes, loved every second of it! Thanks for sharing!
Ana

Lori and Michelle May 31, 2012 at 11:31 am

Ana yes they would work as pancakes.

Katherine @ Green Smoothie Recipes June 1, 2012 at 4:47 am

Ooo I’ve never heard of tabata but I’m going to watch some now. Thanks for the links to the workouts you do. I was doing bodyrock but it took a long time to watch the video and then perform the workout. I’d rather do both at the same time! So I make up my own most days but probably don’t push myself so hard or vary my workouts. Although at least I don’t end up a quivering wreck after just 12 minutes! Your abs are amazing! And you don’t do regular workouts? Wow!
Katherine @ Green Smoothie Recipes recently posted..The secret to dramatically improved health in just 20 minutes a dayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle June 1, 2012 at 5:15 am

Katherine, thanks but not sure what you mean about regular workouts?

Katherine @ Green Smoothie Recipes June 1, 2012 at 8:18 am

Oh sorry, I understand now, you didn’t mean you don’t do very regular workouts as in very often, but you don’t do ‘normal’ type workouts. I’m British you see, and we normally use regular to mean often – sorry for the confusion. Anyway, yes I had a look at your other post and I see you have very varied workouts. I guess that’s the key to fitness is to keep the body guessing.
Katherine @ Green Smoothie Recipes recently posted..Raw Vegan Creamy “Pistachio Ice Cream” Thickie ShakeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle June 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

Katherine, no worries! glad you understand me ;) yes I like to do a variety of workouts often, please let me know if there is anything else I can help with! thank you!!