rest days

by Lori and Michelle on May 21, 2012

It is Monday!! are you excited?

The past 3 days were amazing!! Seriously we are very blessed to have such amazing parents. They helped a lot while up here over at the kitchen, as well helped do some painting over at Lori and Gary’s new house. Anyone else love having family come visit to have free help? We sure appreciated the extra hands.

While we enjoyed our company and eating out, we took 3 days off from working out. We did not feel guilty one bit. Life is too short too sweat over missing a workout. Something we have learned and come to accept over the years.

But wait, aren’t we FitFluential Ambassadors? How could we promote not working out for 3 days as a good thing??

Well, as much as we love to workout and get a good sweat it, we also know taking time off is not only good for the body, but the mind too. Life is about balance, and sometimes you just got to go with the flow and break out of habits. Learn to live in the moment.

It has been awhile since we talked workouts.

Here is a recap of our week of workouts from last week:

this week we pushed ourselves to do 5:30 plank, and one day we did it for 6 minutes!!

Saturday – ended up taking the DAY OFF  as we had a long day at the bakery

Sunday – Jenn Fit Full Body from May 10 – we set our Gymboss Interval Timer to 18 rounds of 10/50 seconds and performed 6 different exercises.

Monday – Jenn Fit Legs on Fire – we could only complete 2 rounds, our legs were dying.

Tuesday – Tone It Up Surfer Beach Babe DVD workout

Wednesday – 10 minute ZWOW #12 workout. We still struggle with our pistol squats, we use our equalizer to lean on.

Thursday – Tone It Up Summer Slim Workout + Sunkissed Abs. We did each routine twice through.

Friday – DAY OFF

Saturday – DAY OFF

Sunday – DAY OFF

What will inspire us to move our bodies this week…

Have a fit-ablous day!

For more thoughts on days off from working out, check out these links:

rest days from our friend the Fitnessista

planned or spontaneous rest days from our girl Teri

when you should skip a workout via Self Magazine

taking rest days between workouts via Prevention

Twins Question: How often do you take rest days? What are your thoughts on planned or spontaneous rest days? as you can see from our life, we are all for spontaneous rest days ;)

the pure2raw twins

LizAshlee May 21, 2012 at 6:27 am

I think rest days are absolutely essential to balance everything out! If I feel stressed about missing a workout, I know I need to re-evaluate my goals and put everything into perspective….

Have a great day!

Lori and Michelle May 21, 2012 at 9:27 am

well said Liz! Hope you have a great day too!

Lisa May 21, 2012 at 6:36 am

I take rest days 2 to 3 times a week. (and sometimes I consider a day when I just go for a walk as one of those rest days because it’s low impact and not high intensity). Occasionally, I feel like I just have to rest—so my rest days are usually only planned half of the time!
I think it’s great to take a few days off in a row—-think of all the repairing your muscles did while you rested!!
Lisa recently posted..Waking Up at 3am…What does it mean and what can you do about it?My Profile

katie @KatieDid May 21, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’ve taken about the last 5 days off because life has really been crazy and I haven’t regretted a minute of it either! It helped reading this though as I know there will always be more time to workout in my future and the past week I had to focus my energy on graduation, moving, goodbyes, and everything else. Glad you had a fabulous weekend too!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Beginning’s EndMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

so true Katie!!! glad you are enjoying your special moment right now with loved ones!

Lori and Michelle May 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 21, 2012 at 8:27 am

Great workouts ladies! I’m so glad you had a great weekend and took some much needed rest days. It took a long time for me realize that rest days are just as important as workout days! The resting is what gives your body a chance to rebuild the muscles you’ve worked for. I normally go for two days a week and I enjoy every second of those days! I hope you both have a great week!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Almost Wordless Wednesday…My Profile

Lori and Michelle May 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

same here!

Cara Craves... May 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

You guys should try ZWOW18 this week, it’s a killer workout + it’s lots of fun!
Cara Craves… recently posted..Oatmeal Cookies with Date PureeMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

We plan to give it a try tomorrow! we are excited love our ZWOW

Stephanie May 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

I take active rest days every Saturday and Sunday. I still end up doing something active, even if it is just taking a leisurely walk or bike ride, or a gentle yoga session. I take spontaneous rest days as needed like if I have a particularly busy day at work, or if I am spending time with friends or family. I agree, you have got to make time to enjoy life and not stress about missing a workout every once in a while!

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free vegan May 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

What a coincidence! I’ve been resting for the past three days as well. It was a little hard to get back into my workout routine today but I’m so happy I did!
Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..First Protein Pancakes! + Mini Coconut Key-Lime Pies + SmoothieMy Profile

Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’m amazed at how good my body feels after a few days of rest. When I Went to visit my family last weekend, I took three days off, which was the longest I had taken off in awhile… but when I hit the gym on Monday, it was like I had twice the energy I normally do!! Clearly, my body needed the time off!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Birthday Brunch & Burger BachMy Profile

Jennifer May 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

LOVE your workout schedule Girls! GREAT work! P.S LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog and enjoy reading everything!

Lisa May 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Great post. It is so good to be able to accept rest when the body is asking for it. I admit, I still struggle with taking rest days some of the time. You girls are so active anyways, outside of your workouts so it was probably good having some time off! Especially if your body needed it too. I’m going to read those articles/posts on rest, because its something I still need to engrain in my mind that it is okay to rest. Love your workouts this week!
Lisa recently posted..Carrot cake granola and winner!My Profile

carrie May 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I seem to take most mondays and fridays as rest days… if i dont take any i get burnt out (and my muscles cry…). I think its part of what keeps me motivated the other 5 days – having that balance. Also need to try new workouts to keep my mind happy, so thanks for all the links!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale May 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I’m SO happy you posted about rest days! In the blog world, it seems like many people feel pressured to workout every day but that’s not the case – we NEED them, like you said. :-) Love seeing your workouts for the week. Thanks for introducing me to JennFit. love her site and attitude! You girls rock. xoxo
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Finding the Good in Some Bad NewsMy Profile

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Amen sista(s)! I take one planned rest day each week but it usually ends up being 2 because of a crazy busy work day :-P
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Water Content in FoodMy Profile

Kimmoy May 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for telling us about Jenn Fit, her site is really simple and the workouts look great.

Lori and Michelle May 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

your welcome Kimmoy! we are enjoying her workouts too!

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] May 21, 2012 at 6:00 pm

thanks for the link love! :)

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] recently posted..The WeekenderMy Profile

Tahlee May 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

YAY! Good on you both for respecting your bodies and your need to rest.

Like many other people have mentioned – resting is vital for your muscles to recover and build so you don’t end up overtraining or getting injured. In fact, muscles don’t grow during a workout (in the catabolic phase), they grow in the 48 hour period afterwards (the anabolic phase).

That’s why steroids are called anabolic, but also why you don’t need them if you want to grow stronger muscles. You just need to take a day or two off ;)

DeB May 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Itake three rest days a week: 2 days of doing yoga and one day of full rest. The other four days are full on heavy lifting and GPP.
DeB recently posted..#31 Catching UpMy Profile

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance May 22, 2012 at 3:23 am

I’m with you girls on rest days! In the past I was so scared of taking even a single day off, thinking that I would somehow gain 10 pounds overnight. It’s ridiculous what our minds will talk us into at times!

Love how down to earth you two are with working out, even though you love it so much!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Pizookie AwakeningMy Profile

Bonnie May 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Great thoughts you guys – rest days are so important. I usually take Sundays off as a rest day unless my schedule is wide open (like I went to church Saturday night instead and don’t have plans Sunday mornings) and then I switch Sat’s for rest days and go long Sundays. It used to be very hard for me to take rest days (mentally, mainly!), and sometimes I still struggle with feeling antsy at the end of a rest day, but now I embrace them and try to listen to my body throughout the week. Like today! Super sore calves from 12 miles in my Vibrams Sunday and a hard hike in my Vibrams yesterday so I cooled it today and rested. I’ll be back at it again tomorrow. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and providing the links too! So good to rest (and on my recent holidays away I didn’t even do a single push up ALL WEEK – I’d say I’ve come a long way). ;)
Bonnie recently posted..May-Long Weekend in ReviewMy Profile

Danielle May 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

I spent the past week in Paris with my sister! A glorious break from regular workouts. I began each morning with 4 min 30 sec planks (inspired by you guys) and 30 pushups! Otherwise no workouts… Just tons of walking and stairs. It was a great mental and physical break and has inspired me to get moving in more conventional ways in my daily life (i.e. more walks).

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. May 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for sharing these workouts! I’ve been looking for a few new things to try out.

I’m all for rest days. I try to do some stretching on my rest days. And really, I don’t plan them, I just let my body tell me when it is ready to take a break.
Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. recently posted..Weekend review in Instagram picsMy Profile