one year ago…making friends

by Lori and Michelle on May 29, 2012

Just the other day, I met up with a dear friend. A friend that I have not seen in a year.

And it is funny how it just so happens  it was a year ago this past weekend that we saw each other. Ironic? I think so.

If you are not familiar with Teri, you must check out her blog! She is someone that inspires me, makes me laugh, reminds me that I am a great person just as I am. Truly a wonderful lady…Teri thanks for a wonderful time! I treasure our friendship!

Seeing Teri, and reflecting on life and how fast time has gone by since we last saw each other really made me think about friendships and life. Crazy how quickly time goes by sometimes. I never thought it would be this long till I got to hang out with Teri again. But then I got to thinking, when I was home for Lori’s wedding and got to see my best friends from high school, it has been years since I have seen some of them. I am talking like 4-5 years!!

I love my girls!

Source: tumblr.com via Pure2raw on Pinterest

Crazy how life works.

So many people will come in and out of your life. Everyone is there for a reason, right? To teach you something? To help you with something? Or maybe to knock some sense into you?

As I get older, and focus on my life, I do find it harder to make friends. It is easy when I was in school to make friends, because you saw the same people over and over. You hung out while playing sports, or maybe did homework together. But when you are out in the real world, working, trying to be independent, it is really hard to make friends…especially when you work for yourself.

Anyone else notice this? Do you find it hard or easy to make friends as you get older?

I must admit this is one thing I love about blogging. It has allowed me…it has opened me up to people I would never have the opportunity to meet. There are so many friends I have made through this crazy world of the internet.  I just want to say to everyone here – readers of my blog, fans on facebook, or my fellow twitters, and whether you are bloggers or not – that I appreciate your friendship. I know you may not always agree with my life… agree with my choices..but you respect me, help me, inspire me, as I respect you, help you, and inspire.

Love you all. Really. I know sometimes it can be hard to read a person through their blog…even videos, especially since many of us bloggers do not share everything about us. How could we expect you to “know” everything.  But as I enjoyed this holiday weekend relaxing more than I normally do, I have been feeling good about life. All the unknown about it, because I got all of you. I got my friends to get me though this so called life.

Source: imgfave.com via Pure2raw on Pinterest

Some other fun things from a year ago…food I was enjoying a year ago was raw donut holes and chocolate mint baked donuts. YUM!

So hear I am letting you all know I am happy. I am okay. I am looking forward to the future. I am ready to tackle the “unknowns” that are ahead of me, even though at times I am scared.

Are you ready to share it with me?

Michelle

Gillian May 29, 2012 at 8:28 am

I definitely find it’s harder to make friends! I really try to only surround myself with loving people who make me feel energized and inspired, no matter what. And this isn’t always easy! Meeting you at Foodbuzz that year was a blessing! x

‘Anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you.’

David Whyte
Gillian recently posted..Bride Bites: Shaping up to a Beautiful SummerMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 3:53 am

Gillian seriously! same here, meeting you was a blessing too! love ya

Lauren May 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

I found this post to be very relatable. I have admired many of the posts you two have written, especially the skin ones. I agree that it does become more difficult to make friends as you get older. I’m at home with two kids while my husband is at work, and that doesn’t allow for much social interaction! Blogging is a great way to connect with others who have the same interests, and it’s fun! You guys are lucky in that you have each other! I look forward to continuing to follow your blog in the future.

katie @KatieDid May 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

So glad you had a fun, relaxing weekend Michelle. You deserve to kick back too and relax through all the hard work you put into your business and blog. Cheers to the future!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Bacon and Egg Stuffed EggplantMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 3:53 am

Thanks Katie!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 29, 2012 at 9:32 am

I’m so excited to share in your journey with you girls! And I appreciate all my online and blogging friendships as well :)
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Memorial Day Weeks & Bob Harper DVD Winner!My Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 3:53 am

Nicole we are glad we have meet you too! One day in person ;)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

It’s so challenging to make friends as we get older. I do find that certain cities I’ve lived in etc are inherently friendlier, and others aren’t, but in general people are more closed off when they’re older. Some are still in the same place they grew up in, so they have their childhood friends and don’t think they ‘need’ anymore friends. But to me that’s like shutting yourself off from the world when you’re dating someone new. What if one day, God forbid, it all implodes and you’re left alone? I’ve always thought the best thing about friends is that you can never have too many. So I love both my real-life friends, my blogging friends, all my friends! And I’m always open to more!

Liz @ iheartvegetables May 29, 2012 at 10:13 am

I think for me, it’s hard to make CLOSE friends. I have tons of work friends, gym friends, (twitter friends, haha) but since I moved away from my hometown, it’s harder. I don’t know anyone that’s “know my my whole life” anymore, you know? But it’s nice to know that God puts everyone in my life for a reason :)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..The Blog Facelift & Festive CheesecakesMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 3:54 am

Totally understand Liz!

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy May 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I love your quote about God putting people in our lives for a reason.. So good. So needed today. Thank-you!
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad, Day.My Profile

Lisa May 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Being a grown-up definitely has its perks…and it also has its scary parts. What I’ve found with friends since I’ve gotten older is that they don’t come as easily (we all have stuff going on!)…but the new friends I do make seem to be so much deeper and more meaningful to me than the ones who are just based on history.
I love the feeling of connecting with people—I’m not sure outgoing or bubbly around new crowds, so I just have this feeling that people who are meant to be attracted into my life will be. I love my friends—they have become my family!
Lisa recently posted..Orange Apricot Coconut Macaroons (or Truffles)My Profile

Heathy May 29, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Lovely post Michelle! I totally agree that people come into our lives for a reason and sometimes its just for a short time, for some it’s for a lifetime. At this point in my life, I prefer to make meaningful friendships with people I can be myself with.
Heathy recently posted..Coconut Mango ParfaitMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 3:54 am

Heathy I feel the same way! Lori and I glad to have you as a friend!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 30, 2012 at 4:50 am

Oh Michelle, you are so right. I love blogging for the exact same reasons. Over the past couple of years, I’ve really tried to surround myself with honest caring people wether it’s through blogging or in real life. It is hard to find common ground with people, but the people that care about you for just being you, those are the ones you want to be with. I appreciate you sharing your life, the good and the bad. The adventures are always scary, but they are where greatness happens. I’m still trying to reach my greatness, but I know it’s out there. Many hugs to you my friend! xoxo
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Crispy Rosemary Corn Flake Chicken With Cornbread Waffles and a GiveawayMy Profile

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 5:28 am

Thanks Sarena! love you

Eiren May 30, 2012 at 5:57 am

Great post Michelle!! I can definitely relate!! I find it so hard to meet new people, especially those my own age. I work in a non profit setting and most of the women i work with are 30 years my senior. I find myself turning into an old soul, which i’m not sure at 29, i’m 100% ready for. I moved to this area 2 years ago (upstate NY) and am struggling to meet quality people who i can call friends and not just acquaintances. I have realized in my ‘Old age’ i don’t deal anymore with the crap of people i don’t get along with. One girl i met said some hurtful things and i just pulled back from the relationship. I’d rather foster my friendships of my best friends that live an hour away than be treated like crap!
I do question one thing, and maybe you can relate? Having an identical twin, i always had a built in best friend… i almost didn’t have to ‘work’ at finding a friend because i knew i had one right there. My sister has moved across the country with her boyfriend, so i sort of feel now, like i’m “bisquit on his big day out”, learning the world on my own. I was always an individual and very independent, it’s just odd not having her around all the time. We lived together, ALL of our lives until i moved here two years ago. Do you find you struggle with the same thing? I celebrate our separation as a great step into creating our own new lives, it’s just a transition…

Lori and Michelle May 30, 2012 at 8:19 am

Elren yes totally understand what you are going through! Lori and I lived on other sides of the country too a few years ago, so feel your pain! Hugs to you! Wishing you all the best!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale May 30, 2012 at 8:47 am

Love this post, Michelle! I think we can all relate to this. After college, life gets busy and we can get so wrapped up in our own schedule. That alone can make hard for me to make new friends! Thank God for blogging. We are meeting new people every day – it’s kind of amazing, huh?! I’m so happy that YOU are happy. :-) You and Lori’s future is so bright and I’m so happy to be along for the ride with you girls!
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Spencer’s Market, I Love YouMy Profile

Lisa May 30, 2012 at 11:19 am

Aw, this is so sweet! I definitely relate to the problem of making friends as I’m older, well sometimes. I probably have more friends now than I did in high school, but I’m talking “true friends”, friends who will be there for you through every bad and good thing life throws at you.I definitely love the online community and how it allows us to connect and build friendships with people who are miles away! It’s an amazing thing. Especially people like you, who have the same passions in fitness and health as I do.