vegan protein waffles recipe

by Lori and Michelle on May 25, 2012

egg free protein waffles

Hello friends!

Sorry this post is a little late this morning. We had a late night and very early morning, and we did not have much time to edit photos. After a few trials we had a successful vegan waffle recipe.

This recipe took us about 5 trials to get it to where the waffle actually HELD together. (which was about the same when we made our coconut vegan mini donuts)

We were looking for waffles that tasted great and did not break.

Did we get that?

Yep…well kinda. This vegan waffle recipe held together for the most part but still a little delicate.

protein vegan waffle recipe

We started this recipe with just coconut flour, brown rice protein and flax meal. It looked promising but did not work. Crumbs everywhere. So back to the kitchen to try a few more times. Then we decided to add in some almond butter to see if that helped hold these vegan waffles together. And it worked!  We did not want to use a starch like in our vegan donuts. We wanted a good vegan gluten free recipe that uses no starch, was it possible, we were determined to make it happen!!

We love coconut flour but making it work in vegan recipes can be a CHALLENGE! There are moments when we adore it, then there are times when coconut flour does not work in recipes. It takes lots of trial and errors especially when there are no eggs involved.

What we have learned about using coconut flour:

• usually works the BEST with a lot of eggs
  • a little bit of a challenge to figure out the best ratio in a recipe
  • you have to be careful with how much LIQUID you add to your recipes as coconut flour absorbs the liquid as you are preparing it, but you do not want to add too much LIQUID as it can alter the final outcome of the recipe
  • using a nut butter helps hold the recipe together better without using eggs
  • be patient with the recipe and be ready to enjoy crumbs (and eating with a spoon)

Well, we hope you enjoy our version of our vegan protein coconut flour based waffles.

We plan to keep playing around with this recipe to try to make it even better. Like we said, these waffles are a little bit still on the delicate side. The texture is very light and almost crumbly.

And if you can eat eggs check out our original protein waffles!

What do you think of our version of protein powder vegan waffles? Any thoughts on coconut flour in vegan baking?

We both are realizing that we do not really like baking with just coconut flour. But we continue to get request for coconut flour based recipes, so we will continue to try and learn to love baking with coconut flour. Usually in the past we mixed coconut flour with a blend of other gluten free flours and starches, which is how we feel vegan gluten free recipes come out best.

L&M

lynn @ the actor's diet May 25, 2012 at 10:02 am

oh gawd. get in my belly.
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..Pizz-a Cake (and Salad)My Profile

Lisa May 25, 2012 at 10:16 am

These held together—that’s great!
I am not a huge fan of baked goods with primarily coconut flour (except the flatbread I have been making for grilled cheese). Coconut flour texture/flavor is just not my fave on its own!
Lisa recently posted..Salad with Smoky Chipotle Olive Oil and Pineapple BalsamicMy Profile

bitt May 25, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thanks for making a vegan version! So appreciated. Do you think these would work as pancakes? I got rid of my waffle maker because I needed room for my juicer. ;-)

Lori and Michelle May 25, 2012 at 11:10 am

Bitt yes we think they would be fine as a pancake!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 25, 2012 at 10:49 am

Well done for making it work! I love coconut flour but honestly I like almond flour just as much. It’s very similar in terms of protein but doesn’t have quite as much fibre. But that’s a trade-off I can live with as I have found almond flour works really well in pancake recipes too! However, it’s great that you guys found a way to make coconut flour work in a vegan recipe, I can imagine how challenging that must have been!

Liz May 25, 2012 at 11:01 am

Though I’ve never made non-vegan baked goods with coconut flour, I’ve found most of the same things to be true when using it — it can be tricky, it works best when combined with other flours, and the longer it sits, the thicker the batter gets since it absorbs more and more liquid, and, if using too much coconut flour, the outcomes can definitely come out crumbly. I love it coconut flour, though. It’s helped me in my vegan protein pancakes and muffins, which I am eating EVERY day. You guys have created a protein monster in me!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale May 25, 2012 at 11:22 am

um, YAY.

Kristina May 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm

coconut flour was among the first flours I started cooking with when transitioning to gluten free, so I have a fondness for it, but I do know it is a difficult at times. great job with these waffles, I know firsthand vegan and gluten free is a fine art and a project!
Kristina recently posted..sweet chai pecan butter sauceMy Profile

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food May 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I found the same thing, coconut flour and eggs together work much better than no eggs. You girls are so awesome for putting in so many trials!
Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food recently posted..our cloth diaper planMy Profile

kellie May 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm

YAYAYAYAAYAYAAAAAAY!!!!! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Love me some protein waffles! These look amazing! I hope you two have a great weekend!!!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..A New Chapter Begins…My Profile

Ela May 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Sounds like you got it!
Coconut flour is so wonderful but really tricky to work with, and I love seeing recipes that don’t resort to dozens of eggs…

I’ll miss you guys!
Ela recently posted..Good News + Pictures I Didn’t Post, Nettles, SnippetsMy Profile

Janetha May 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I am looking forward to making these!
Janetha recently posted..blueberry lemon protein scones.My Profile

Liz @ iheartvegetables May 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Even if they are crumbly, I bet they’re really tasty!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..The Little Changes I [Should Be] MakingMy Profile

Heathy May 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm

The recipe looks great! I will definitely be trying them next time J and I have craving for waffles. I agree with the coconut flour – I’ve found it to be tricky so haven’t experimented with it too much.
Heathy recently posted..Practically Raw Review and Rawtella WinnerMy Profile

katie @KatieDid May 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Nice work on the recipe, it’s clear you put a lot of time and effort into getting them just right! Eating all the mistakes probably wasn’t so bad though.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Got Raw Milk?My Profile

Robyn May 25, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for not giving up and working so hard so we can enjoy your recipes…these sound perfectly awesome,,,now to dust off the waffle maker!! Thx again

Lisa May 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Oh goodness gracious. This looks incredible! I have really got to find my waffle maker! Your girls are genius’ in the kitchen. For reals.
Lisa recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Cookie DoughMy Profile

Raechel @ the rebel grrl kitchen May 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I *really* appreciate that you two go out of your way to make the vegan version of things! I’ve stared longingly at your egg-based waffles, and am SO excited to try this one!

Anytime I’ve used coconut flour, I’ve used it in combination with almond flour, so I can imagine it was tricky to use on it’s own. Adding almond butter was brilliant! I’m thinking about trying mashed banana in place of sugar. Think that might work? (I’ll let you know how it goes!)
Raechel @ the rebel grrl kitchen recently posted..Friday Five!My Profile

Lori and Michelle May 26, 2012 at 5:10 am

Banana sounds like a great idea!!! ENjoy

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food May 26, 2012 at 4:31 am

These look delicious! Great job on trying again and again until they came out. :) If I had a waffle iron I would totally make these.
Brittany @ Eating Bird Food recently posted..Ode to Protein PancakesMy Profile

Natalie May 26, 2012 at 4:33 am

Love the site, great recipes and pics:) I nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award:) -Natalie, http://www.rawfitnesstv.com
Natalie recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award!My Profile

Annaliisa May 28, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hey Girls! Thanks for sharing the great info about coconut flour. I’ve been getting into it lately and it’s a bit tricky.. The waffles look amazing!!

glidingcalm May 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

wowee! those sound awesome! thanks so much!

Violet May 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

That looks scrumptious! Love the idea of adding almond butter to help it stick together. Can’t wait to try this one on Sunday!

Kylie @ immaeatthat June 12, 2012 at 11:28 am

Trying these as pancakes this week! Look delicious!

shannonmarie (rawdorable) June 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

Oh yum! I’d totally try this. It’s right up my alley.

Laura Hernandez June 24, 2012 at 10:30 am

I made these but they just ended up to be a pile of crumbs so I made pancakes out of them instead and they held together better but the batter is very delicate. I put strawberry sauce on them and they were yummy!

Lori and Michelle June 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Ya we are still trying to play around with making it a more sturdy recipe. strawberry sauce sounds wonderful

Jennifer Houser February 26, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hello Twins! I cannot wait to try these, please do not ever take this recipe down!