Grain free pancakes

by Lori and Michelle on June 20, 2012

Loving all the love for our lemon cardamom hazelnut waffles!

Many of you seemed intrigued about using hazelnut flour. We have a lot of recipe using it, like in our individual carob cake,  mini cardamom donuts, and unbaked chocolate biscotti. We love the flavor it gives plus love the nutty texture! Let us know if you give hazelnut flour a try and how you used it.

Today we got another recipe for you guys! We experimented with a new pancake recipe this past weekend.

Our take on grain free pancakes.

We know there are many different views on “grain free” and what it means, etc. But according to this grain free site, many things we use are grain free. But again like most things, find your own view on things with how it works with you.

Since we already had hazelnut flour made up, we used it instead of almond flour for our pancakes.

cooking grain free pancakesMaking these grain free pancakes was super easy. We had a couple different skillets cooking as we had a lot of pancakes to cook, plus we were all hungry to eat.

whipped bananas for pancake toppingWe made some whipped bananas for a FUN topping along with traditional maple syrup. Basically we just threw about 1-2 bananas into our Vita-Mix and whipped till blended.

easy recipe for grain free pancakesPlate full of pancakes! Life doesn’t get much better than that.

pancakes with bananasWe were so pleased with how these pancakes and whipped bananas came together so nicely.

table setting with breakfast and pancakes

whipped bananas with pancakes

Twins Question: What do you think of grain free? What do you think of the new trend starting? We find it funny how everyone is doing grain free recipes, just like how gluten free trend started happening.

Lori and Michelle

bitt June 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

love grain free recipes because grans contribute to my candida. however it is so disappointing they almost all have eggs in them. i’m sad because can use fewer and fewer of your recipes. :-(

Lori and Michelle June 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

Bitt, promise we are still going to be making VEGAN recipes, we will make more pancakes that are grain free plus vegan :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love grain free pancakes. I normally use almond meal, but I need to try the hazelnut meal. I bet it’s amazing! These look perfect!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Workout Wednesday!My Profile

Lori and Michelle June 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

We think you will enjoy hazelnuts, it is a nice change from the almonds ;)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

ooh that whipped banana topping sounds lovely! i love using fruit puree as a substitute for syrup on my pancakes. I love grain free recipes — they make for a happy tummy:) haha thanks for sharing!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Sweet & Tangy Almond Noodle Delight! GF, V, BED!My Profile

Lori and Michelle June 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

Same here, loving the fruit for toppings!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free June 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

They look amazing, girls! I love love love grain-free baked goods. Especially when they involve nut meals.
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..Day 1: Summer Kick-Off ChallengeMy Profile

the delicate place June 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

i have heard of people harvesting chestnuts and using that as a flour! i think your coconut buttermilk was a big reason the texture is so fabulous! clever girls :) i’ve been grain free since 2009 with the exception of me having fermented buckwheat very recently as an experiment. i feel amazing and am at the lowest weight in my life (even 5lbs lighter than high school!)
the delicate place recently posted..OMG!My Profile

Lisa June 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Yum, these look great. I’ve only ever tried savoury pancakes with almond flour, have no clue why I haven’t had sweet one’s yet! I also need to restock on my almond flour now! And I love the sounds of the banana whip for a topping!

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free vegan June 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

These look awesome! We are going grain free for now except a bit of quinoa every now and then. We used to eat tons of grains but now get most of our calories from fruit and protein sources. It seems to be a change for the better!
Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free vegan recently posted..Banana Spice Post-Workout Smoothie + Our Fave Protein!My Profile

Shantess June 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I love the whole “grain free” movement. The more and more I read and experience for myself, I think it’s the way to go. Damn, I really do love bread though, lol! :)

katie @KatieDid June 20, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I love grain free cooking. I find it fun, challenging, and delicious and its how i eat :)
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Crossfit ShoesMy Profile

Lauren June 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm

the pancakes look awesome! I wouldn’t be grain free if I didn’t have to be. certainly not into the “trend” thing. But honestly, because of my candida I have to stay away from grains and feel better for the most part. I do miss healthy grains like quinoa and millet. and although I love my coconut flour pancakes and waffles, sometimes they’re just missing that fluffy pancake texture… if that makes sense, lol ;)

Liz @ iheartvegetables June 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh my gosh yum!!!! I love the whipped banana idea! I’m totally going to try this in my vita mix :)
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Energized WednesdayMy Profile

Stephanie June 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Hi, Lori and Michelle! How are these pancakes for digestion? Cuz I find just nuts to be very difficult to digest, but with eggs and flax seed, don’t you find them a bit too heavy?
Thank You!
Stephanie recently posted..No Longer “Paleo” – part 1My Profile

Lori and Michelle June 21, 2012 at 9:13 am

Stephanie nope! we did not find these to be heavy at all. Actually felt fine after eating them. But everyone is different in how they digest things.

Tamzin June 21, 2012 at 3:04 am

Yum they sound fab! I have never used hazelnut flour, I need this in my life!!
Tamzin recently posted..New Food Combos + Coffee WeaknessMy Profile

Lauren June 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

These sound so tasty, especially with the banana whip! Grain-free sounds like a good thing to do every once in a while, but I will never give up my oats!

GiGi Eats Celebrities July 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Ah ha ha ha! I was looking at the pictures of you two ABOVE and I thought it was one person…I am sure you guys get that all the time. That being said, what a fun joint venture (your blog)… and I am about to get my “explore” on and check out all your recipes! :)