Lemon Cardamom Hazelnut Waffles

by Lori and Michelle on June 19, 2012

Hello Friends!

Thanks for all the sweet comments about our weekend painting and eats. Many of you have requested for what waffle recipe we made this past weekend.

We actually googled and searched a whole much of different waffle recipes. Though we really love our protein waffles we wanted to see what other waffles recipes would be like. We love studying recipes and creating our own take on the recipe. —> yes, we love reading recipes.

The waffles we made over the weekend for our parents were a big hit. We found the technique to making good waffles is in the eggs! Well, how you beat the egg whites separately from the yolks. We mixed our egg whites for 5 minutes.

By whipping the egg whites for 5 minutes really helped form the peaks, which helped in the final texture of our waffles.

Amount of waffles will depend on how much batter you scoop into each waffle mold in waffle maker.

Waiting for the waffles to bake is the hardest part.

To help pass the time you can get your toppings ready: maple syrup, hazelnut meal, and blueberry kefir (any yogurt or kefir would be fine)

gluten free grain free waffle recipe

Do you agree?

eating breakfast waffles with familyBreakfast is a great time to bond with family…

paleo friendly waffle recipeespecially with yummy waffles

making gluten free grain free wafflesand a good cup of coffee :) well at least in our house on weekend mornings.

Hope you enjoy our lemon cardamom hazelnut waffles. Let us know if you make it.

Do you and your family have breakfast together on the weekends?

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m super excited about this recipe as I finally got a waffle maker 2 weeks ago and have been going nuts with waffle making ever since!

Kris June 19, 2012 at 10:26 am

I would LOVE if I got together with my family for weekend breakfasts… perhaps I just need to invite them all over some random weekend! :)

these waffles sound great, and the topping is beautifully vibrant – yum!
Kris recently posted..guide to pool partiesMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

These look insanely yummy!!! I need a waffle maker :)
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Feeling ItMy Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

haha yes you do!

Michaela {au naturel design} June 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hazelnut flour sounds delicious. I’m going to try branching away from the standard almond. Thanks girls!
Michaela {au naturel design} recently posted..Figgie Shoes on FacebookMy Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

yes we have been loving hazelnuts

Danielle June 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Blueberry kefir! So clever. I love kefir and will definitely be trying that. Looks like a fantastic breakfast!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free June 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

Beating egg whites=fluffier waffles/pancakes every time. It does take more time, but the pancakes are so darn fluffy!!!! It’s delicious :D
Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free recently posted..I Challenge You!My Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Alex ya we have always skipped that step until now!

Lisa June 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

These look amazinggg! I really need to try hazelnut flour, do you make it yourself? I’ve been insanely obsessed with almond and coconut flour, but should maybe branch out a little more ;)
Lisa recently posted..Baby foodMy Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Lisa, yep as we mentioned in the recipe we just blend whole hazelnuts in our vitamix to make flour.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I wondered what the topping was- it looks like my smoothies :-)

This looks great, girls! Can’t wait to combine lemon and cardamom together!
Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) recently posted..Easy Cold-pressed overnight iced coffee (a gamechanger!)My Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thank you Deb!

Meg June 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

these look incredible girls! i love anything and everything hazelnut, but have never done hazelnut meal before! did the waffles actually taste hazelnut-y? :)

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Meg no not really, with all the other flavors going on could not really taste it.

katie @KatieDid June 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

What does cardamon taste like? This sounds like a gourmet waffle!
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Cherry Pickin, Food PhotographyMy Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Katie it has a little spice, unique kick to it, a strong taste, with an intensely aromatic fragrance

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm

looks delicious! i love the flavor combinations! sounds so interesting and yummy! thanks for sharing!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Creamy Mexican Slaw! GF, V, BED!My Profile

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

When I ask the boys on the weekend they always reply, “I want a Saturday Breakfast” or “I want a Sunday Breakfast”…bacon is included in that most of the time. I LOVE making waffles and pancakes for my family. The boys enjoy the different topping choices too! These look amazing!
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) recently posted..Meatless Monday! Miniature Lentil Loaves!My Profile

Lori and Michelle June 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Cannot wait to see you this weekend Sarena!

amanda June 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I just bought a bag of hazelnuts from TJ’s this weekend and made my own hazelnut butter! Needed a little change from my almond and sunflower seed butters. It took FOREVER in the cuisinart but it eventually did turn to butter! So yummy on waffles (sadly, the frozen gf kind) topped with real maple syrup. I am going to try to find a waffle maker stat and try some of your recipes – they look amazin!

Chelsea June 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I wish we had a family tradition like that! I suppose I should just start one. :-)
My hubby and I guard our Saturday morning pastime of running together and then enjoying enormous mocha iced coffees as we cool down. Love it! He adores waffles…I’ll definitely keep these in mind! Thanks!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings June 19, 2012 at 6:43 pm

These waffles look awesome! I haven’t tried kefir yet, I should try it for toppings! Thanks for sharing :) love your ideas!
Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings recently posted..Lake Skimming + Shrimp GrillingMy Profile

Emilia June 20, 2012 at 3:58 am

Wow, these look delicious! I’m not sure what is more exciting, the hazelnut flour or the lemon/cardamom combination. Can’t wait to try these :)
Emilia recently posted..Packing: The AngstMy Profile

LizAshlee June 20, 2012 at 6:19 am

Ohh, I bet these are delish..they look super satisfying!
LizAshlee recently posted..Balance…Experience the Strong & Gentle SensationsMy Profile